Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
As for the nature of the dreams, some of them are the typical "dreams" that appear to be a blended mix of events-- for example, a recent dream was something about me encountering a ghost, in the exact neighborhood where I lived and worked a couple years ago. The other, more frequent dreams, just appear to be recalling and reliving the same negative events, with no particular exaggeration to them. I almost feel half-awake when the latter happens.

I described the problems I've been having to a screener-- not about the dreams, but issues related to the dreams (basically, the real-life subject of these dreams). They set up an appointment with a mental health professional, and signed me up for the group therapy classes. I realized the MH pro only logged my general background into the computer, and asked if I would take the pills that she prescribed. This appointment took place while I tried 3 classes of group therapy. The group was a discussion of general anxiety instead of focusing on a specific or individual topic. After the session where I was prescribed medication, I stopped going to the group, because they weren't specifically addressing the problems I've been having.

This took place at my local veterans' affairs hospital, fyi.

I guess they don't have the resources at the VA to do individual talk therapy with everyone who needs it. Our vets and their families really deserve better.

But are the dreams the real issues? Dreams sometimes express feelings rather than ideas. People get caught up in trying to figure out what the dream means, when what is important is how it makes you feel, or what feelings it brings up about yourself. Maybe you can figure out why you are having the dreams by taking an honest look at what is going on in your life and how you feel about it.

Is there some way that you can go back to the VA and specifically ask to speak to someone one-on-one? You can spend some time beforehand writing out or rehearsing what you are going to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:14 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
The main issues are being irritated and left emotionally drained by these reminders of recent events, before I even start my day. I'm unconsciously beating myself up over events that my conscious self is trying to leave in the past.

I'm relocating to another city later this summer. I can try the VA in that area and see if I can get different results from their MH department.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:55 AM

Going to a different VA is a good idea.
Sounds to me like you may have some unfinished business to work through, and since you try to forget it during the day, it pops back up at night to "haunt you," because its not possible to hide from oneself.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:13 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Try to end your nights on a positive note, do some light reading, watch a comedy or some funny youtube clips, think about something positive in your life that you look forward to. Try to work on putting your past behind you and leaving it there. If you can accept that life comes with the occasional crisis and learn how to cope with change, it may help your overall outlook. Continued therapy may help, but you have to let them know what's going on.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Try to end your nights on a positive note, do some light reading, watch a comedy or some funny youtube clips, think about something positive in your life that you look forward to. Try to work on putting your past behind you and leaving it there. If you can accept that life comes with the occasional crisis and learn how to cope with change, it may help your overall outlook. Continued therapy may help, but you have to let them know what's going on.

I agree -- good advice.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:56 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
I think I made a topic earlier about all types of media these days obsessing over political issues, which does everything to me except relieve stress. For stress relief, I stick to hobbies like foreign language and drawing (which keep me away from the television and Internet), although I'm growing tired of those.

The "acceptance" part is difficult. I can tell myself to put things behind me, and I can turn my back and move on, but that's not exactly the same as accepting it, right?

Also, I didn't take the medication that was prescribed to me-- from my impression, it's the same kind of treatment, where you're just forcing yourself to leave it behind without regard for actually accepting it. Am I off-base there?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:13 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Also, I didn't take the medication that was prescribed to me-- from my impression, it's the same kind of treatment, where you're just forcing yourself to leave it behind without regard for actually accepting it. Am I off-base there?
I don't know what issues you were being given meds for, but it is very common and very incorrect to believe that psychotropic meds are just to numb feelings or "leave something behind."

The people who take meds who expect that outcome are often disappointed. the point of medication is not to wipe away a problem, but to free you up so you can face it.

Most psych meds (especially those for depression & anxiety) merely remove or reduce some unpleasant internal feelings/sensations that are preventing you from actually addressing important issues in life. The meds don't make those issues go away, or make you not care about those issues. Contrary to what many people believe, the point is not to "numb your feelings." But until you've had a condition like severe chronic anxiety, and taken meds that help it, you really can't understand. You are still you. You are still able to think and concentrate. You are still able to prioritize things and react to important things that happen. You can just do all that without a crippling vice grip in your chest or in your brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology