Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:31 PM

657 posts, read 407,670 times

Advertisements

[quote=Coolhand68;

I completely agree with you. Our thoughts are just that thoughts, they aren't real. However we are conditioned to worry about the unknown or stress over change or uncertain outcomes. I agree that it would be in our best interest to stay in the present and focus on what we have control of at this moment, but it is very difficult to undo a lifetime of conditioning and re-wire our brains and coping mechanisms. For the purpose of this thread I offered up what may be the cause of the anxiety and stress, which is what the OP was asking.[/QUOTE]

I wish we would continue this thread, but it's not likely.
No only are we conditioned and continue conditioning ourselves unwittingly; (each time we believe a different thought, we automatically react to it, we say we were conditioned, but the very act of believing is the current conditioning occurring.)
We are born with pre-hard-wired amygdalae; we can't rewire our amygdalae, they are "standard, factory installed equipment". We are conditioned to believe thoughts, thoughts we have not yet thought, we will react to automatically because of our conditioned habit. (Isn't that weird?)
When we recognize that, then we can choose, and override conditioning.
The simple example I use is of children afraid of 'bogeyman'.
A child,(already conditioned to believe), thinks of 'bogeyman' and their amygdalae react automatically, (as wired to do), the child does not recognize whats happening other then experiencing fear. Then the child recognizes,(eventually) that 'bogeymen) was only a thought. How soon do you think it takes to stop experiencing the fear? Immediately, NO UNDOING required. INSIGHT is the CHANGE agent, not any technique or therapy, but natural relief via insight; how good can it get than that?

(A new thread on "Believing and Insight" might be of interest to many readers.)

Last edited by sakoz-2; 06-10-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 04:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I actually stopped drinking coffee since school ended so it's not the caffeine. I do at least an hour exercise 6 days a week and go on evening walks.

The anxiety of anticipation sounds about right. I wish my job would just start already and I can be in the new city and settle down. I do enjoy the time off but I wish there wasn't such a large gap.
Is there an activity you can participate in? Recreational reading you might want to do? Volunteer work? I think doing some stuff might take some of the edge off. If you get this tension in your back and/or shoulders, get a chiropractor to give you adjustments. I know this sounds crackpot, but their treatment really helps tight shoulders and such. With insurance, it should be cheaper than getting a massage.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:58 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I think you are stressed out due to the transition in your life - you are going to be in a new city, new apartment, new job, etc. and you have no idea what it will be like. Plus, being that it is not till August, you are kinda in limbo till then.

I think transitions are stressful. Especially the one you're making moving from possibility to reality. Plus being in school prolongs the anticipation of your "real life" beginning.

Maybe think about this. From what I recall of other posts you've made, you seem to have a tough time managing your expectations. That's just my vaguely informed opinion, but does it ring true? Because right now is all about expectations, and they're intensified by your feeling that you're behind where you should be. I'm just speculating for the most part, although that feeling that you're behind won't help you. Pretty sure about that.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Our amygdalae are a vital part of our anatomy.
Is amygdalae involvement required for thinking/talking?
Amygdalae involvement is superfluous and at times a "interfering buttinsky" when we think/talk.
Amygdalae: natures version of 'bodyguard'. (Do we really need protection from thoughts?)

Old 06-14-2016, 08:03 AM

Your stressed and you don't know why. Your experiencing the effects of 'subception'; (perfectly natural).
Our brains evolved in three tiers, bottom; middle; top. (in that order).
Most creatures have eyes. Visual input travels from bottom up to top. Sometimes the visual input does not reach the top, (to awareness); but the middle part of the brain takes action autonomously, reacting to what is perceived without the top part of brain participating. So the top does not know what perception is being reacted to; (subception).
On the other hand; even when visual input 'does' reach the top, the middle sometimes takes action, reacting
before the top gets the input. That occurs when the input is threat/danger/possible hurt; in those cases 'time is of the essence', reaction is required instantly to survive; defend; or flee.
When you feel stress/fear/anxiety for several hours or more, it's obvious the threat/danger/possible hurt is not imminent because its not happening, so it's time to turn down the alarm and mobilization, and return to calm. In effect, reset the alarm. Better to react, (and be wrong) than be sorry for not reacting. That's why false alarms are common, so accept them, they are inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology