Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:32 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

OP, you're wrong, since you have no way of knowing if a masculine gay guy is gay or a feminine gay woman is gay just by seeing them out in the street. That's because we look like regular people, which we are. It's like people who claim they know how all atheists behave. They have no way of discerning an atheist from a theist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 06:11 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
The OP's not wrong. There is a stereotypical mannerism that gay men have adopted. They lisp their S's, they bat a hand effeminately, they tend to dress gaily, etc.

Of course it's not universal. Everyone has the example of the 300 lb. hairy Neanderthal next door who's a flaming out of the closet *****. But there absolutely is something to this.

You could argue that it's just fashion, not biology, and you'd be correct. Back in the primitive days, you didn't have Ug The Caveman wandering through the jungle in a swishy pink cashmere loincloth, sporting a sequined club and swinging his hairy hips effeminately.

For that matter, the girls of the Stone Age likely were hairy, muscular she-males themselves. No lipstick, other than the bright red blood dripping from their lips as they chewed their raw dinner.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
On the contrary you don't see lesbians hang out with guys. Gay people just doesn't make sense logically imo, the feminine ones only likes to be with women, the masculine ones I can never figure out perhaps the most confused one that is attracted to men but behaves more masculine.

Then for women, I think it's natural for women to be attracted to another due to their desire for beauty. But you have lesbians that have masculine traits and they dress and act like guys but only socialize with other women a like rather than with men.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:13 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
What a ridiculous, thing to say, OP has obviously never actually been around any gay men or lesbians & is basing his ridiculous views off offensive & outdated stereotypes Yes obviously every single gay man is camp & dresses like a woman & every lesbian is some butch pint drinking football loving she-man. Idiot

Old 06-21-2016, 08:37 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
On the contrary you don't see lesbians hang out with guys.
I will tell that to my two close friends who are a lesbian couple. I think we will hang out at the lake and Windsurf if the wind is up this weekend and probably go out for a few beers after. Of course they may not come if I tell them they aren't supposed to hang out with guys. Though neither of them look or act in any way "Lesbian" what ever that is, err well ok in private I suppose they do but ahh well then it's not really acting is it ;-).

The reality is we only notice those who conform to the stereotypes we have so we may think all are like that if we don't know better. Of course some do fit, my ex had a gay friend who fit just about every stereotype possible but most you would probably never know.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I'm out and around people all the time. A very easy way to tell if a dude is gay is if they talk very feminine and flamboyant dressing feminine too. Not all are that way but most are. Lets not sugar coat it lets get real here. You must be young and naive.
And one of my male gay friends wears polo shirts and khakis everyday and spends his spare time following around his college alma maters football and basketball teams. And going to his hometown's pro sports teams: baseball, basketball and hockey.

Another male gay friend goes mountain biking in his spare time. A third downs judo and has a black belt. My gay excoworker is a body builder/recreational cyclist. My lesbian excoworker spends her spare time shopping and decorating.

I don't know who you are meeting, but the gay people i know are like everyone else and have varied interests.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Obviously not all gay people are like that I didn't think i needed to say that. Most gay people from what i've seen act like the opposite sex. I don't think straight men want to act like women and i don't think straight women want to act like a man.

How many gay celebrities do you know that act like the opposite sex? For example Ellen she wears men style clothes and hair cut like a man.
And Ellen's wife..?

Did you ever put 2 and 2 together and figure out the reason you think that all or most gay people act that way is bc they are the only ones you NOTICE bc everyone else is just busy living their normal lives?

I need to stop reading and responding to these moronic threads.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
On the contrary you don't see lesbians hang out with guys. .
Smh.

Maybe YOU don't.

But it happens all the time.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:14 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm a gay man and I don't act like a woman. The ones who do act like women are just very noticeable. There are a lot of gay men who completely blend into the crowd and don't make themselves known. You just don't know they're there.

The likes of Ellen and Perez Hilton make a living from their sexuality.. it's what they're known for the most. They are the epitome of their respective stereotypes. Gay actors like Wentworth Miller, OTOH, don't.
Yup! I have a lot of gay coworkers. Most of them are hipster millenials, like everyone other young guy at my job. As for lesbians, I know less and they are 50/50 femme or butch. But they better fit in with whatever rules wer defined by their high school social group: preps, goths, jocks, grunge, whatever.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:18 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The OP's not wrong. There is a stereotypical mannerism that gay men have adopted. They lisp their S's, they bat a hand effeminately, they tend to dress gaily, etc.

Of course it's not universal. Everyone has the example of the 300 lb. hairy Neanderthal next door who's a flaming out of the closet *****. But there absolutely is something to this.

You could argue that it's just fashion, not biology, and you'd be correct. Back in the primitive days, you didn't have Ug The Caveman wandering through the jungle in a swishy pink cashmere loincloth, sporting a sequined club and swinging his hairy hips effeminately.

For that matter, the girls of the Stone Age likely were hairy, muscular she-males themselves. No lipstick, other than the bright red blood dripping from their lips as they chewed their raw dinner.
I can agree with that somewhat. The voice is often a signal with men, but that does not always equate to acting like the opposite sex. There are plenty of gay men that are physically fit and athletic.
Which leads to the question are those traits acted out or are they innate? I would say the voice pattern (lisp) is definitely innate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology