Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:50 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times

Advertisements

I've made some pretty big transitions in my life and I don't think I could pick just one.

* Having a child, because now most decisions would involve her - no longer just about me.

* My divorce from the first husband - I saved myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 10:25 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There's also an enormous paradigm shift when you lose your parents and realize that you are now patriarch/matriarch. It's a rudderless feeling that can take a long time to reconcile.
I agree with this. I lost my mother and mother-in-law last year. I believe this is one of those life changes that sneaks up on you for which you are not prepared. Everyone knows that marriage and children are pivotal life changes, but it is a strange feeling when there are few loved ones in a generation above you. I have always maintained a landline phone for frequent conversations with my parents, mother-in-law, aunts and uncles. I told my husband how sad it is that I rarely use it anymore as many of them have passed away. I have gotten used to there not being any messages on my machine, and soon will probably get rid of it altogether.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:31 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I agree with this. I lost my mother and mother-in-law last year. I believe this is one of those life changes that sneaks up on you for which you are not prepared. Everyone knows that marriage and children are pivotal life changes, but it is a strange feeling when there are few loved ones in a generation above you. I have always maintained a landline phone for frequent conversations with my parents, mother-in-law, aunts and uncles. I told my husband how sad it is that I rarely use it anymore as many of them have passed away. I have gotten used to there not being any messages on my machine, and soon will probably get rid of it altogether.
I have a friend whose husband said that his father's passing was like recognizing that the light at the end of the tunnel was a train and that it was coming for him, too.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:04 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Some of the milestones that come along later in life (you younger folks might think you understand these, but unless you've dealt with them in a deep, personal, existential way -- you don't):

* The day when you realize that you've lived more years than you have left
* The day you realize your salad days are behind you and from now on, you're in cruise mode
* The day you realize you'll never be a parent, or marry again, and may very well die alone
* The day you realize you'll never succeed at doing something you've always wanted
* The day you realize everyone else who had a shared memory is gone; you carry it alone
* The day you are told you have disease X, and mortality comes up behind you and kicks you in the head

The struggle for the older adult is to look back at life's accomplishments and feel fulfilled, rather than sinking into regret and despair over what hasn't been accomplished. Some make it on this path to wisdom, others don't; my mother spent her last years in bitterness and resentment, and I refuse to follow in her footsteps.

The problem I have with all these lists that ask for the "biggest" or "best" of something is -- these are all highly subjective. For me, graduating from college was not a big deal; I didn't go to my graduation and picked up my degree later. For others, it's a huge deal.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:04 PM

658 posts, read 847,757 times
The biggest transition? Death. Why? Because once you truly understand your mortality, you will live your life accordingly.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:55 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I don't have kids yet, so for me I would say my biggest transition was life after getting a divorce at 26. I think because it was unexpected. I expected to graduate high school and college, get a first job, get married, but not to get divorced. Our relationship was never very happy and the further away I got from it the more I realized how unhappy I had really been and how unhappy my life would have turned out if we had stayed together. After that, I moved to a new city, dated, moved again. I really came into myself, so it was a sad transition that turned into the happiest.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,319,833 times
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I dislike people like you who read a post and then assume all kinds of things about the poster. You must be the best parent on earth and have wonderful children.

When your children cause you pain with their poor choices (which have nothing to do with parenting skills) then yes, they can be a disappointment.

And how about staying on topic instead of bashing people for their opinions? Okay?

Old 06-27-2016, 01:09 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,319,833 times
To date, my biggest transition has been leaving a strict religious cult. I had every expectation that my family and friends would disown me and I'd have to start over. It was very scary.

The second biggest transition (again, so far) has been my parents' divorce. It's been over 10 years and I still have a stuck feeling in my soul that I can't move past. I think largely due to the fact that there has been no real discussion of it in my family.

Great thread OP!

Old 06-27-2016, 01:27 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
The biggest transition? Death. Why? Because once you truly understand your mortality, you will live your life accordingly.
Actually, I was thinking being born was the biggest transition....

But I can't argue with your answer either - just haven't died yet.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:39 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Parenthood. Once you're a parent your entire life changes forever. No do-overs. No changing your mind, no getting out of your responsibilities for the rest of your life. Unless you give the child up for adoption and even then...you're impacted.

Everything else on the list is negotiable and temporary.

I would also say becoming a drug addict. Once you put that needle in your arm, you're never the same person. Even in sobriety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology