Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:07 AM

8 posts, read 8,784 times

Advertisements

I don't believe so. Friends are people who are actively present in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 06:18 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times
It is a network of people who exchange news, thoughts, and drama. I think it should called a Facebook community. Some people seem to think that cyber acquaintances are just as real as the real world.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:41 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I have become friends of friends on facebook whom I've never met in real life as well as people connected to my social circle I've met only once. One guy is someone from out of the area who contacted me with a very sweet email on OKCupid, and we developed a long-distance platonic friendship. He's a very high match with me, and has some social phobias. I communicate with him regularly.

I really think you can really get to know someone via facebook. With the guy that reached out via OKC, I see the affection and concern of his other friends and know that he is much valued and loved and very considerate towards his friends, and that the face he presents to me is genuine. He's a really good person, and in retrospect, I'm honored that he reached out to me.

On the other hand, one of my very beloved buddies here, who like me has an extensive and wide-ranging social circle, has some friends that I'm surprised he didn't drop. My extended network on FB is very much up for honest debate, and when my buddy posted a political question, I voiced my opinion in a reasoned and respectful way. One of his FB friends responded with a spray of incoherent racist, homophobic, and sexist epithets, such that I assumed he was in the late stages of syphilis. I think my buddy was taken aback. I dunno though, I'd have brought the pimp hand down on anyone who lowered the tone of my FB page like that or insulted one of my other friends. I feel like I've built a cool little community in a way on my page, with so many people from very different parts of my life exchanging thoughts on different subjects, and I'm very protective of it.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:32 PM

804 posts, read 545,126 times
The answer is no. It is more like business associates and the kind of people you associate with. It also determines the kind of personality you are. Basically a police profile or permanent record of you. I use mine for business purposes only. While I do have some people I know. It is not for them to talk to me.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:54 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
It is a network of people who exchange news, thoughts, and drama. I think it should called a Facebook community. Some people seem to think that cyber acquaintances are just as real as the real world.
These are likely the same people who think they know celebrities and believe their life styles are what they see portrayed in movies . Recently, Bradley Cooper thought he surprised people by appearing at the DNC. What a moron! There probably are plenty of people who confuse him with Chris Kyle.

A friend is someone who comes to help when you need help. Do FB "friends" do that?

Old 08-12-2016, 06:43 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
[quote=MyNameIsBellaMia;45102049

A friend is someone who comes to help when you need help. Do FB "friends" do that?[/QUOTE]

I always share post of stolen property from people I don't know if it shows up on my feed and ask my friends to please share. Doesn't matter what it is, trucks , cars, horse trailers or guitars I'll share it just to help out a stranger.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I'll share a little story - well, two actually.

I am in a decorating group on Facebook. I have only met one or two of the people in that group in person (and that's because I already knew them - LOL). I posted a picture of a bell pull and said I was looking for another one to hang on the other side of a window. Never in a million years did I expect anyone to actually contact me about it - it was just a decorating comment. Well, one of the regulars in that group contacted me and offered to GIVE me a beautiful, hand embroidered bell pull. I was shocked but in a very pleasant way. She mailed it to me with a sweet note. Is she a close friend? No. But is she a casual friend - and a real person that I really do appreciate having in my life? Yes.

Another story: I am also part of an Achilles Tendon Injury Support Group on FB. Since the recovery time is so long for that sort of injury, people in that group tend to bond in a unique way. Lots of gory pictures of incisions, scars, and casts! LOL Plus being so sidelined for so long, people tend to get online in this private group and grouse and vent and ask questions that their "real" friends and family are probably tired of hearing.

Well, one of the women in that group had to go back to work probably before she was really physically able, and it was a standing job. I knew from her posts that money was tight for her. I messaged her and asked what size shoe she wore, and then I told her I was going to send her a pair of good shoes in a brand that I had found to be very supportive. She gave me her address gladly and I sent her the shoes and they fit and she was thrilled! So it was a win for all of us.

I was paying it forward in that case - this was before the other woman offered to send me the bell pull. But I think these little happenings are special and are an unexpected benefit from Facebook relationships. I have not met either of these women in real life.

I've bonded with her and with two other women in that group and we talk back and forth pretty often. In fact, I hope to meet up in person with one of them when we travel to the northeast later this year.

These people aren't close friends, but I do consider them to be casual friends - and their friendships do mean something to me.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:14 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Hmm. I use FB to stay in contact with my best friends growing up. I'm on an opposite coast and the time difference means that simply talking on the phone or IM'ing is usually right out. I've visited a numerous occasions, but that's costly as we are 3500 miles apart. So sharing things on FB is very much like sharing them in person, just in a more convenient manner. Some of you (looking at you Lebowski) are simply out of touch with the way the modern world works. My life is busy, and while I'd like to spend all sorts of free time with friends and family across the country, it's not practical, but FB is a way of casually staying in touch that replicates being there on your AND their schedule in between times of spending real time together.

I've also met people on forums that became FB "friends" that then became real life friends whom I've interacted with in person many times, and would help them as they've helped me just like any friend would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology