Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

I'm glad that you live in a place where you feel safe to go about your business without issues. Just as my situation is anecdotal, so is yours. I have traveled and lived in different countries and continents and various cities/towns, and I have been manhandled and inappropriately approached everywhere. It is not age related, I am no spring chicken. Women in their 80s are also targets for sexual assault. I don't know why people believe that a rapist is only interested in pretty young girls - they are looking for subjects that their circumstances make available to victimize.

I am not trying doubt you. I 100% agree there are very bad people in the world and sometimes we are just in the wrong place and the wrong time and can fall victim to them. I have had minor issues when younger or when travelling when younger so I am not trying to fool anyone to believing this is not an issue, but likely at this moment in time I am not obviously feeling a high level at risk. Thanks for the reminder about personal safety and women/ people in general being aware of their environment at all times because as you have expressed the risk is still always there. Point taken. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
It's interesting that we got to page 3 before the OPs initial question was answered.
Also interesting how some are brave enough, honest enough to talk about their fears out in the open for others to comment on, when asked: Ladies. What Worries You? What Are Your Fears In Life?

Only to have some guys chime in to virtually say: Yeah, well, you're wrong.

WTF? It's not up for debate.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
It's not just been guys doing this.

Always nice when other women tell you what you should and shouldn't be fearing.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:31 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,784 times
This thread really makes me appreciate how good my life is right now. I really try not to worry about things I can't control, and the things that I can control are so small and insignificant, that they are not worth worrying about.

Today, I am "worrying" about getting enough sleep for what will be a long day tomorrow. Big woop. Life is good!

Old 07-22-2016, 10:39 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Art is a "real" career for thousands of people, so why not you? The life you create for yourself is your greatest masterpiece, so go after your dreams.
I appreciate the encouragement!!!! I'll do my best.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:46 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's not just been guys doing this.

Always nice when other women tell you what you should and shouldn't be fearing.
You're right.
"oh hey that never crosses my mind."
That's because maybe everyone doesn't live it. No mater how safe, how smart, how practiced and prepared. Surprised by something hellish. Maybe even more than once, it stays with you.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:33 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Cancer Didn't used to think about it. But after a slight issue popped up, I worry about it all the time now.
Losing Loved Ones Inevitable, but still the fear of knowing it will be coming
Assault -of any kind As stated, a very real fear for many women

These are the only things these days. But there will be more. I am a naturally neurotic, anxiety-filled, person.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:10 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
I worry about terrorism, the escalation of gun violence and whether my 401(k) will be enough to sustain me when I retire. I also worry about the health and wellbeing of my loved ones.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:51 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
-the State of this nation.
- My Sons well being....
- The economy
- Having loss of independence ....With no true advocate to my wishes....
- And thousand leggers...Don't mind insects but those things creep me out! I won't kill em, but they really need to stop crawling up the walls some nights....

Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I'm too stoopid to have fears. I don't even acknowledge fear until it slaps me upside the head.

I have a fear of high strung horses who are too much for me and tend to shy sideways. That fear only manifests when I'm sitting on top of one.

I fear dogs who run at me aggressively and act as if they are going to tear me to shreds if I move. (another in-the-moment fear)

I fear a weapon pointed at me. Hasn't happened much, maybe once.

Those sorts of thing. My belief system tells me not to be afraid and that serves me well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology