Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:05 AM

200 posts, read 174,809 times

Advertisements

Not weird. I'm the same way. I have no use for the vast majority of humanity. Most are vapid, selfish, useless people. Give me a dog anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 01:09 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
I think it's hard for people (specially young people) to accept themselves if they are "different" than most of the society. Our society is very social and outgoing, and there's not many of us.:-) My mother and sister can't understand my introvert nature, they think I'm missing on something:-)
Also, it looks like you can go thru slight anxiety, possibly?
I was very lucky to find my husband, who is introvert too. I, personally can't imagine to spend my life with extrovert. It would be very hard for me.

Try not to think about if it's "normal" to be introvert. Yes, it's normal:-) There are people like you, and me:-)
Good luck.
Bo
Thanks for your comments
Yes I feel axiety when Im in big social groups
I definately love 1 to 1 interaction at the best but other people who join tend to interrupt me of just be people I don't want there.

I tend to avoid it.
I guess the problem I have with extroverts is they to have a big load of friends I want absolute no attention from.

I still enjoy the big crowd but usually me socializing by nature I just feel comfy being with one person at a time.

When Im alone I can think freely and don't stress much when someone is next to me.

I never did like being the super big star but instead enjoy being my gf's superstar

Old 07-31-2016, 01:12 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm extremely gregarious and chatty, but I have absolutely no problem being alone, in fact I prefer it.
I feel the same way.
I just only question it because in our society it seems its more common to expect a load more extroverts than introverts
I do not know if im the only guy who feels like this but thats how I feel at least
I appreciate my zen and piece time
But I also only prefer socializing with only one person at a time for the most part.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:44 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,922,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I am an extreme introvert.
I have never grown up with many friends ( Only about a few friends, and a girlfriend right now)
I feel odd to say this but I actually love spending time by myself.
Lots of times I do a lot of things by myself ( Apart from spending time with my gf which I love her alot)

I just felt like in my childhood I had many people that took advantage of me and were fake friends and I don't let people approach me that easily in real life, and I carefully consider who is a true friend.

But I like doin things by myself. ( cooking, traveling, reading books, sleeping in, watching a movie, etc)
Am I an odd bug for wanting to spend time by myself?
I do not mind spending time with my gf but I don't mind being by myself either at times.
And also for the most part, I prefer to spend time but only with one person at a time( like its either my girlfriend, or like my best friend)
So if like my girlfriend was with me at a party I love to be with her but JUST HER not have multiple people by my side ( like i get this overwhelmin feeling)
Does anyone else feel just about the same way or similar.?

I feel like I grew up with this mentality because of my childhood.

I feel the same way and always thought it was unusual. I prefer to travel by myself actually, watch movies by myself too. The only thing I don't really like to do by myself is go out to dinner, haven't overcome that feeling of seeming strange sitting there by myself (though I heard of some people that don't feel that way about it).

It's been told to me it's not normal, but that's the way it is with me.

As far as spending time with more than one friend, it's always a huge problem for me when there's just one other person with me (outside of my husband) because I'm terrible at conversation. Whenever I go out with just one person, the entire time is a huge chore for me to come up with things to say (unless they're good conversation). I'd far rather have two or three friends to go out with. Part of why I don't call people that much is that the entire phone conversation is an ordeal for me to go through to come up with things to say (for most people).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
I think it's hard for people (specially young people) to accept themselves if they are "different" than most of the society. Our society is very social and outgoing, and there's not many of us.:-) My mother and sister can't understand my introvert nature, they think I'm missing on something:-)
Also, it looks like you can go thru slight anxiety, possibly?
I was very lucky to find my husband, who is introvert too. I, personally can't imagine to spend my life with extrovert. It would be very hard for me.

Try not to think about if it's "normal" to be introvert. Yes, it's normal:-) There are people like you, and me:-)
Good luck.
Bo
My husband's introverted that way too.

My mother's the one that can't understand how I prefer to travel alone. When I first started doing that she said something like, doesn't it bother you to be all by yourself on your trips? I was like, no I actually prefer it over having someone else with me. She thinks that's very abnormal. And actually, she isn't extroverted at all. She just thinks it's strange for me not to want to have someone with me when I'm on vacation traveling somewhere.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 07-31-2016 at 04:55 AM..

Old 07-31-2016, 05:02 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,301,797 times
"Normal"? Is that the cute kitten from "Garfield"?

Old 07-31-2016, 05:27 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,027,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
Not weird. I'm the same way. I have no use for the vast majority of humanity. Most are vapid, selfish, useless people. Give me a dog anyday.
Truer words were never spoken.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
I much prefer being alone. I have a neighbor who only comes down to my area in the winter and a few weeks in the summer. We became friendly last time she was here but she is one of those people who feel we should hang out every night that she is in town. I have found it exhausting and finally told her I can't deal with these "every night" deals. She seemed a bit insulted. People like that don't understand our need to be "alone" and assume we are anti social when we just value our solitude. Personally I think people who can't ever be alone have more of an issue than us introverts.

She is the exact reason I don't make friends in my complex. I don't want people calling me, texting me or dropping by unannounced expecting me to be thrilled for the company.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:00 AM

22 posts, read 14,270 times
Quote:
I have never grown up with many friends ( Only about a few friends, and a girlfriend right now)
Lots of times I do a lot of things by myself ( Apart from spending time with my gf which I love her alot)

I just felt like in my childhood I had many people that took advantage of me and were fake friends and I don't let people approach me that easily in real life, and I carefully consider who is a true friend.

But I like doin things by myself. ( cooking, traveling, reading books, sleeping in, watching a movie, etc)
Am I an odd bug for wanting to spend time by myself?
I do not mind spending time with my gf but I don't mind being by myself either at times.
And also for the most part, I prefer to spend time but only with one person at a time( like its either my girlfriend, or like my best friend)
So if like my girlfriend was with me at a party I love to be with her but JUST HER not have multiple people by my side ( like i get this overwhelmin feeling)
Does anyone else feel just about the same way or similar.?

I feel like I grew up with this mentality because of my childhood.
Not sure why this has to be labeled introversion. This is how you like to spend your time. Putting something w/ a negative connotation on it is just selling yourself short. You're just fine the way you are. This is the way you like to live your life.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:01 AM

22 posts, read 14,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I much prefer being alone. I have a neighbor who only comes down to my area in the winter and a few weeks in the summer. We became friendly last time she was here but she is one of those people who feel we should hang out every night that she is in town. I have found it exhausting and finally told her I can't deal with these "every night" deals. She seemed a bit insulted. People like that don't understand our need to be "alone" and assume we are anti social when we just value our solitude. Personally I think people who can't ever be alone have more of an issue than us introverts.

She is the exact reason I don't make friends in my complex. I don't want people calling me, texting me or dropping by unannounced expecting me to be thrilled for the company.
I have a general rule not to make friends w/ people within a mile radius or a walking distance.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Please try not to feel odd. I'm an introvert. We live in a culture which, overall, doesn't accept people like us as we are. For me it's different than being shy. I'm not afraid of people and I don't have problems engaging folks in conversation. But I require time when I like pursuing things on my own. It's absolutely vital for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology