Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:14 PM

15,475 posts, read 15,446,533 times

Advertisements

Start by focusing on the social anxiety, not the girlfriend. Therapy would be good, but you could also start by looking around to see if there are any local support groups. Also, I'm guessing there are tons of books out on the subject.

And don't let anyone tell you that you need medication. You want to work through the problem, not mask it with drugs.

Have you ever thought about whether the anxiety might be in part because you feel you don't know what to say? That's something you can easily work on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,119,478 times
Have you ever thought about doing hypnotherapy/hypnosis?

Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I advise against therapy, which may make the problem worse, and align your budget towards "services" in your area that may be able to help.

Sex is a deeply physical thing, and you'd waste your money on therapists. You've probably wasted enough already.
Therapy would be addressing anxiety.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:06 AM

6 posts, read 5,355 times
If the main reason is social anxiety, then do something about that. I don't know how your social anxiety affects you, but maybe it's a good idea to do some research about yourself and get help from a psychologist or therapist when you think that you need that. It's not about having no girlfriend, but the reason behind it, but I guess you already knew that. What holds you back from getting the help you need? Do you also have a lack of self respect?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:39 PM

18,423 posts, read 9,045,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I advise against therapy, which may make the problem worse, and align your budget towards "services" in your area that may be able to help.

Sex is a deeply physical thing, and you'd waste your money on therapists. You've probably wasted enough already.
Your screen name is quite appropriate.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:41 PM

18,423 posts, read 9,045,837 times
OP: don't let anyone shame you for not having a serious/sexual relationship yet. It sounds like you have some anxiety problems; as others have said, don't be afraid to get some professional help with that first.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:18 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,552,486 times
You need some milk.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:09 PM

575 posts, read 610,404 times
yes

Old 08-13-2016, 08:41 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,596,459 times
I am curious as to how you made it to 33 with crippling social anxiety and have never sought treatment?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 11,806 times
Counseling could very well be beneficial. We don't have all the details and obviously don't know you. There are steps you can take to overcome social anxiety before seeking counseling or simultaneously while undergoing counseling.

May I suggest that you can mitigate your stress by consciously diverting your attention from your "social anxiety." Please understand that everyone has at some point dealt with social anxiety, and most naturally overcome it. The best way to naturally overcome it is to socialize - practice makes perfect. Socialize does not necessarily mean participating in social type activities like dating, party's or clubbing. I'm talking about group interaction.

If you don't have, you should find for yourself areas of interest - the possibilities are nearly endless - but hopefully your interests will be mentally and physically healthy. Let's say you like stamp collecting. There are organizations like APS that have chapters all over the U.S. and in addition there are many independent clubs and groups. There are stamp fairs and exhibitions. My advice is attend as much as possible, become involved as much possible to find a group you are comfortable with. It should be second nature for anyone to interact and talk with people about a subject that interests them. Some of those people will be men and some will be women - you don't care other than just having an opportunity to improve your social skills and practice expressing yourself about a subject you are interested in. Trust me, one thing will lead to another. Forget about the past - look to the present and the future!

If this doesn't work or you can't find a way to make this work then you must seek counseling. And, I should point out that there are in most larger communities public health services which are free. Please don't delay another day, take action now - you are missing out by not fully living life. You have made a start by posting to this forum - each day, do a little more. You definitely can overcome your social anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology