Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:00 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate the word "haters". If you tell someone you can't stand Kim Kardashian and the whole Kardashian clan you are called a "hater". If you tell someone you don't like a movie that they adored you are a "hater".

Nobody is allowed to have an opinion of their own anymore without being called a hater. We have become a nation of crybaby, oversensitive people who post way too much personal crap on FB and who are offended over everything. I can't imagine what our founding fathers would think of what is happening to our country. I'm glad I'm 61 and not 21 right now so I won't be around long enough to see the total destruction of what this great country once stood for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 08:28 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
A "hater" is simply anyone with enough reasoning to dissent from the "pop wisdom" that is turning too many younger people into a clique of idiots.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:58 AM

21,878 posts, read 12,930,704 times
"Haters" are anyone who doesn't happen to agree with the (usually PC) party line. It is a method of shaming and silencing the other opposite point of view. It doesn't work with some of us, however...

Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,797,237 times
Hater = Doesn't agree with me on whatever. It's a childish and passive aggressive way of dismissing opposing points of view.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:56 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
There is no end of story for the haters.
There will always be something that will set them off into a raging tirade.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
In a society that is newly obsessed with "self-esteem," it makes sense that anyone who hurts your precious-weshus feelings should come under extra scrutiny and even get their own devotional status.

In the past, "haters" would simply have been ignored.

But now retaliating or drawing motivation from them is like some badge of honor.

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:38 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,415,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Haters" are anyone who doesn't happen to agree with the (usually PC) party line. It is a method of shaming and silencing the other opposite point of view. It doesn't work with some of us, however...
^^^^ This.

"Haters"(along with "racist") is a smear word used to vilify someone who doesn't agree with something someone else thinks they should embrace and celebrate e.g. homosexuality, transgenderism, gay marriage, Islam, illegal immigration, biracial marriage, multiculturalism, etc. If it seems that someone "loves" their "haters", it's just a way of pushing back against political correctness.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,044 times
Defense mechanism for social ostracization and criticism.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
Today I saw a t-shirt that read: " Haters are just confused admirers." What the hell does that even mean?

And as for people who go around saying 'haters are my motivators', 'oh, i love my haters', are you implying that you don't give a flip about the people who do like you? What if your "haters" just one day stopped hating on you, would you still be motivated? Why do you instigate them? Why are some people taking "proving people wrong" to a whole new level?

Can anyone explain this? Is this some new form of narcissism at work here? The ultimate battle of who has the biggest ego and whatever you define as "success" (or should i instead say, how you "slay" in life, killed it/succeed in something amazing according to urban dictionary) all determined by the number of haters you have and how much time they spend hating you? It is like some backwards god-complex, where instead of millions of people worshiping us, they condemn us. Where is the logic in that? Also, anyone with any lick of sense would NOT want to intentionally (or not...) make people hate them and keep that fire burning, because people are crazy, i'm talking obsession, stalkers, psychopaths, leeches (fake friends), people changing literally EVERYTHING about themselves to become everything you are, etc.

Im all for people living their lives for them and owning their power, but when you get boastful about the fact that people hate you or god forbid are "jealous" and waste their existence trying to "bring you down"....that just seems a little too much to me. I mean, it's life, not everyone is going to like you, get the flip over it and move on. Again, even though jealousy, competition, etc. exist in life, those are things that are not for everyone. Also, isn't there a line to be crossed at work here, at what point does what some people (person B) say about certain people (person A) end up being called "hating" when in fact, it equates to the truth about person A and person A not wanting to here it, deems person B (who is telling the truth about person A) a "hater"? ....i just confused the heck out of myself with how i overthink things...im sorry yall!

Anyway, i don't care, but in reality, some people hate you because they really do not like you, and some people don't need a reason to hate someone because some people are just *******s just for the sake of being *******s, it has literally nothing to do with bringing you down or wishing they had your life or could be you, end of story!

I don't know if you're talking about me because I don't think anyone is envious of me..what is there to be envious about? but I am one of those people who has found hatred as a form of motivation. Most neurotypicals seem to see it this way: that hatred is something to cry over or ignore. Well as an Aquarius I don't ignore hatred. I stand up against it.
I am not however one of those people who equate simple disagreeing with hatred. I'm talking about people who are being rude or disrespectful. This might sound backwards to you but I've always had a low self esteem and when I was feeling really down, I would be debating with a rude person and that boosted my esteem. Even though it sounds really backwards it's a lot better than what most people do and that is cry over it. Doing anything other than crying about it IS moving on.
When someone is being rude yes they are trying to bring you down..otherwise why would they be rude?
I do appreciate when people are understanding that is the ideal situation but I don't really do well with compliments at times because I don't believe them. I'm more about substantial support and advice.

I'm certainly not someone who parades it all over social media. I'm not interested in being the center of attention so I don't go out and announce anything (I don't even post much on FB let alone use my real picture) but if I'm talking to someone who is being rude, I am acknowledging that they aren't hurting my feelings.

Of course not all rude people I can be immune to. I've said this many times before but potential employers are the one group that do hurt me. Even though I think it's wrong to hate and advocate against it, I would much rather someone be rude to me directly instead of acting fake. So I guess as wrong as it is, I revel in the honesty. Yes sometimes people are ignorant for no reason but often people shun what they don't understand and I think it also kinda confirms the good about my intellect...not necessarily in comparison but when interacting with such a person it can force you to dig deep. It's like a "hater" (or whatever you want to call it) is your inner skeptic. They challenge you so much that you dig so deep you are able to stay rigid so if I'm having doubts about something this definitely helps. Maybe I already feel this way but they're bringing it to the forefront and forcing me to deal with it. Again not saying hatred is good, it is not but there's always a benefit to it that you can find.

I certainly do not try to make people hate me. I don't like to cause drama but a little bit doesn't bother me so I don't try to make people like me either. I'm not interested in people liking me for something I'm not (unless they want to give me a job for it). So for some people hatred is a form of motivation because it means they are doing the right thing in the sense that they're staying true to themselves.

Finally as much as I do advocate against hatred, in a way I do revel in them because I do not desire a Utopia. I find the idea very boring. I do wish the world was less chaotic so sometimes the hatred would get old but a little negativity now and then balances it out.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
I'm an Aquarius and I think putting stock in most other people's opinions is pretty much a giant waste of time.
Of course, that is a product of maturity more than astrological phenomena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology