Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 08:26 AM

506 posts, read 650,870 times

Advertisements

[b] I had my very first anxiety a year before a divorce . I had no idea what was happening to me but my then husband was tormenting me (long story). After the divorce the anxiety continued but I wasn't depressed! Then I remarried and have had anxiety ever since. Its pretty bad today and it's so bad at the dentist's that he refused to do any work on my teeth because my blood pressure was sky high. He did manage to squeeze four X-rays out of me for a $200+ bill.
What should I do? I have a few serious family issues now and they won't get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:24 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Debilitating anxiety, such as generalized anxiety disorder, is often more amenable to treatment / medication than many other mental disorders -- particularly if you don't have addiction issues that make long-term benzodiazapine usage a questionable strategy. Get a referral to a head doctor and explore your options.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:14 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,098 times
Yoga and meditation have helped me enormously. I now have such a feeling of well-being. Calm and content. It won't happen the first time you do it, but if you have a regular practice you will be amazed at the results. I've learned to just be---to accept and be present in the present moment and not worry about the past or future. Even sleeping better. And the improved flexibility and strength are pretty terrific as well. Please consider starting!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Do you have any problem with taking an anti anxiety med?
(Which turns out to cover all bases...the OCD and depression/control/fear issues)
I know seeing a doctor for a prescription can be scary and then expensive.
Sometimes we need a friend to push us and take us.
I always tell people ...just try it...and if you don't like the medication ...you can always stop.

If $$ is an issue you can try a standardized St. John Wort and you would be
surprised how in 3 weeks to the day ....things change and you become your old self again.

Talking to a therapist is good when you do not want to go the brain-chemistry-balancing
route, the serotonin gets out of balance....

A therapist may ask you basic questions about what it feels like to
feel 'not in control' of life...the divorce, the invasive dental work...it's all based in fear....but of what, you see...
they can guide you to find out core issues....usually uncovered from childhood.

My take. Take care *hugs*

Now that I see you are Christian I will just say what helped me...
Phil 4:6....enough said bec this is not the religious section.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-04-2016 at 04:36 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 11:34 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,299 times
I would definitely recommend doing yoga, meditation & deep breathing exercises. It will calm your mind & you will have better control on your thoughts & emotions. Many gyms offer yoga classes so try it out. You really have to practice it to feel the benefits. Be patient & dont push yourself too hard. Life is not easy for anyone. We just handle it differently. Hang out with friends, learn a creative hobby, exercise, pray & eat healthy. Having a healthy body & mind will control your anxiety. Seek some therapy too.

All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology