Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 07:38 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

I'm handling some personal problems (like everyone) and was thinking introspectively this weekend and found a Tony Tony Robbins video on You Tube called "I'm not your guru." A few things occurred to me;
  1. The positive thinking movement is largely a bunch of hyped up marketing to sell people on the idea that they can get ANYTHING they want when in fact this is a falsehood.
  2. Positive Thinking industry is not really based on "good attitude" thinking but more based on a dangerous "wishful thinking" dream that if i think it long enough, or keep repeating affirmations, all things that i want will come true.
  3. I'm not so sure that the Positive Thinking movement has anything to do with Realistic Thinking?

Let me make it clear that i believe that one must take action to make changes in your life. However, these guys seem to be more Dream Sellers than Reality Thinkers.

Blogg writer MARK MASON has a lot to say about this movement and specifically "the secret" His article breaks down the past "positive thinking gurus" to the present and comes up with the idea that "The funny thing about all of these books is that they all more or less say the same thing: mind your own thoughts, stay positive and focused on your goals, ignore self-doubt and criticism, visualize and concentrate on what you want and you will eventually have it."

He further delves into our own bias ; "We’ve all experienced confirmation bias a million times, you’ve probably just never realized it before."

Some great quotes from the article;
"Essentially, The Secret is an attempt to leverage the confirmation bias to one’s advantage."

"The Secret advocates that people assume the identities of the person they wish to become — to actually believe that they are already rich, already skinny and healthy, already in a perfect relationship. Essentially, The Secret tells you to become delusionally positive about yourself for a long enough period of time that your natural confirmation bias kicks in and you only attend to the things in your life that match these new beliefs."

"The Secret actually requires that you never doubt yourself, never consider negative repercussions, and never indulge in negative thoughts."

"Other studies show that people who engage in “self-affirmations” and are then presented with information that threatens their affirmation (even healthy criticism or feedback) actually engage in more faulty reasoning than people who don’t use self-affirmations.10 In fact, people who indulge in delusional positive thinking ironically become downright angry when someone tries to contradict their wall of airy-fairy thoughts. The truth about their situation just becomes that much more painful to them."

"There’s an irony to all of this mess, of course. If you’re desperate enough to feel better about yourself by adopting a philosophy of delusional positivity, that philosophy will appeal to others around you who are also desperate to feel better about themselves. In this way, by adopting a delusional positivity, you attract and surround yourself with others who are also delusionally positive."
I'm not into negative thinking or pessimist thinking as i believe these only lead to depression and further downward spiral. I'm more into realistic thinking and critical thinking at this point.

But, after watching "i'm not your guru" it just further exacerbated the idea that many of these guys are pushing "unrealistic thinking."

(or perhaps this is my own bias)?
  • What is the best way "to think about" handling life's problems?
  • How much power do we have?
  • At what point should we be content?
LINK

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 02:33 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Positive thinking works but not because of the reasons they list... it works because it reprograms your subconscious mind which is what really runs your day to day behavior... the hard part is the beginning of the process but gradually your subconscious mind will start to do the new behaviors "automatically" which is when things because easier. It's not about simply thinking about being rich and suddenly receiving a check in the mail for doing nothing... repeated conscious change in thoughts and attitude will lead to habitual change that becomes more "automatic" with time which naturally brings a happier state of mind and more success into one's life. Think of training the limbic system like trying to train a dog to sit...

Visualization helps speed things up because the subconscious mind understands feelings and imagery.. I imagine myself walking around confidently with no stress in all situations, being totally open and understanding to other people's points of view.. barring that I'll try to see things from other people's points of view.. it removes the narcissistic aspect from one's personality and helps one expand...

Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Positive thinking works but not because of the reasons they list... it works because it reprograms your subconscious mind which is what really runs your day to day behavior... the hard part is the beginning of the process but gradually your subconscious mind will start to do the new behaviors "automatically" which is when things because easier. It's not about simply thinking about being rich and suddenly receiving a check in the mail for doing nothing... repeated conscious change in thoughts and attitude will lead to habitual change that becomes more "automatic" with time which naturally brings a happier state of mind and more success into one's life. Think of training the limbic system like trying to train a dog to sit...

Visualization helps speed things up because the subconscious mind understands feelings and imagery.. I imagine myself walking around confidently with no stress in all situations, being totally open and understanding to other people's points of view.. barring that I'll try to see things from other people's points of view.. it removes the narcissistic aspect from one's personality and helps one expand...
Thanks stock,

I believe what you are saying is TRUE! We have to have faith or a belief that what we do will pay off in some shape or manner. As one of my favorite writers states "Actions have consequences" (even inaction has consequences).

Thanks for reminding me about visualization and being positive in general. Nobody likes to be around a pessimist. I guess i should go "less contact" with negative people....they rub off on you.

~B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology