Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

I didn't even see that your dad still works there! Don't do it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
The idea smacks of immaturity. And the fact that you would even consider doing this while your father is employed there? What are you thinking?

Whatever your experience may be, do NOT trash the company on social media. It will come back to haunt you when you apply for other jobs. Also consider whatever else you post. I check out potential employees on social media and id cancel one man's interview when I saw pictures of him smoking pot (there were little pot emojis around the picture.) Saved myself the $ of drug testing.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
You can critique anything you like as long as you do so legally (avoiding libeling anybody, harassing anybody, or breaching confidentiality of a protected population, etc.).

The question is, will blasting a former employer on social media HELP you in any way, whether or not it harms you?

Probably not.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:40 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden17 View Post
Anything wrong with trashing former employee on a Facebook review?

I am seriously considering posting an awful review of my former employer.
Yes,there is ZERO upside for you.

It won't change the company you left.

It might make future potential employers who look at your Facebook page think twice about hiring you. I know it would effect my judgment of you.

If you really want to help the company, go ask the the HR department of the old company to do an exit interview with you. Don't be mad and spiteful, stay positive, but express the concerns you had.

If you want to do a review, do it on GlassDoor and keep it generic, without names and make it positive, but thruthful.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:04 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
My dad still works at the organization too.
You seriously need to ask this question? You have to be kidding. You're actually willing to risk destroying your father's life to get even with someone?

Wow. Don't even know what to say to that. I guess the answer would have to be yeah - something very, very wrong with this idea.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
You left your former employer. Your not there anymore. Let it go. I don't see the need to trash a place or the people that work there, especially when you are now gone. Realize the place was not for you. All you need to think about is that you won't have to spend another day working there and move on to what makes you happy. Always stay positive. negativity kills. Grudges get heavy and can weight you down. Chip on the shoulder can get uncomfortable.

No one is going to fit in at every place they go to work. Lucky for you that you found one place you do not want to work. Life is good. Gives you plenty of time to figure out the kind of place you want to work.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,757 times
Don't post on social media!

However, if you are that angry, sometimes it helps to get it out of your system if you write a letter expressing your frustrations and anger ... and then burn it. Do NOT hit 'send'. In fact, that is a good strategy to learn and exercise for many situations in life that are not to your liking.

It is also, to my mind, very different to write something online about some sort of 'service provider' who messed up what they were supposed to do for you (usually when you pay them) - that can be a good warning to others - if it is a valid complaint.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:10 PM

455 posts, read 388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden17 View Post
I meant to say employer not employee.

I am seriously considering posting an awful review of my former employer. I left and wasn't fired. It was a hostile work environment that I would avoid like The Black Plague. Very cliquish, bullies, ghetto, etc. Admittedly, after realizing the attitudes of some of my coworkers, I stopped acting like they existed. I did talk to the nice people, but overall it was an awful experience. I have a feeling that the place has an awful reputation and that's why they can't get decent people working there. The only thing I'm worried about is throwing my boss under bus and her not giving me a good reference. My dad still works at the organization too. Supervisors and managers there though do need to get rid of the toxic people. I just want to warn people of the bullying/toxicity so the same thing doesn't happen to them. I have felt relieved since I quit.
I see, you just want to "warn" people. Yah that's it. Go for it, I'm sure the universe will hang on your every word as a highly credible engine of investigatory fact. And I'm sure you confirmed that in fact it is a hostile work environment because you looked that up and know what it means right?

Or you could always just move on......

Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,213,500 times
Doing such a thing is selfish and childish. Can you afford to financially support your father now and through retirement if he's "let go" because of your actions?

Old 09-06-2016, 05:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I worked for an employer who, under a leadership change, began some practices that I felt were of dubious ethics (it was a workplace whose clients were a protected population). I ended up leaving, after having been there many years, because I continued to believe certain practices were unethical, didn't feel my opposition to these practices was being regarded seriously, and I began to see indications that if something did end up going down or being investigated, I was among the candidates most likely to get thrown under the bus and scapegoated, not the people who were making dubious policy.

When I left, I didn't trash them on social media. I contacted the state boards regulating such organizations, and let them know there were potential concerns. Whether or not that came to anything, I don't know. But I no longer had to worry about taking the fall for practices that were unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology