Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:00 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

My Gosh, I cannot believe how hostile, angry and nasty people are...even in this forum....
It seems the way to answer people is with a personal attack....?

I've seen tons of people on news articles, go ballistic, and mean....I'm amazed at how angry people are....it's no wonder our children are growing up to be bullies.

There was this one couple, who had saved their birthday cake, that a news station reported on, and women, literally 50 or more, came into the article and instead of saying, Happy Anniversary and leaving it at that, they had all kinds of personal insults towards that couple for keeping the cake in the freezer that long?????

My God, what is wrong with people? Why are they so angry...nasty and hostile towards others? It seems people don't know how to be decent any more?

Wow, I'm utterly amazed at the language, the hate, the complete lack of compassion and kindness towards others.

anyone else noticing this? I mean, they come into threads and leave personal insults that has nothing to do with the subject matter?

Has social media done this? Is it easier to be mean then to be nice or say nothing at all?

Old 09-07-2016, 11:27 AM

579 posts, read 555,761 times
Social media has given people an outlet for their anger and hatred. And a lot of people are anonymous/semi-anonymous on social media, so there are no consequences.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Social media has given people an outlet for their anger and hatred. And a lot of people are anonymous/semi-anonymous on social media, so there are no consequences.
I totally agree with your post, however, in FB, when you go into news feeds, people are posting their real names and saying the most horrible things...utterly scary....

and yes, lots of anger and hatred....

Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
I don't disagree.

It's honestly mind boggling to me.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I think people are generally frustrated. We all have frustrations, but we don't usually let them out IRL. On the internet, things are anonymous. People can let fly.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:44 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think people are generally frustrated. We all have frustrations, but we don't usually let them out IRL. On the internet, things are anonymous. People can let fly.
Agreed. Sometimes people can vent with respect and class. But others....yeah.

So internet just provides a good outlet for certain things that you can't say Irl, or don't want people irl to know. And it's cheaper than paying thousands of dollars on a therapist, whose job is basically to listen to people complain.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Agreed. Sometimes people can vent with respect and class. But others....yeah.

So internet just provides a good outlet for certain things that you can't say Irl, or don't want people irl to know. And it's cheaper than paying thousands of dollars on a therapist, whose job is basically to listen to people complain.
yes, but, and don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you, but I've seen the most horrible, disgusting and down right threatening posts on news feeds, that are posted by the real names of people?

Yes, indeed, people are frustrated and disgusted...angry and hateful, but I've never seen as much of it, as I'm seeing this past year...it is alarming to me?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:00 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My Gosh, I cannot believe how hostile, angry and nasty people are...even in this forum....
It seems the way to answer people is with a personal attack....?

I've seen tons of people on news articles, go ballistic, and mean....I'm amazed at how angry people are....it's no wonder our children are growing up to be bullies.

There was this one couple, who had saved their birthday cake, that a news station reported on, and women, literally 50 or more, came into the article and instead of saying, Happy Anniversary and leaving it at that, they had all kinds of personal insults towards that couple for keeping the cake in the freezer that long?????

My God, what is wrong with people? Why are they so angry...nasty and hostile towards others? It seems people don't know how to be decent any more?

Wow, I'm utterly amazed at the language, the hate, the complete lack of compassion and kindness towards others.

anyone else noticing this? I mean, they come into threads and leave personal insults that has nothing to do with the subject matter?

Has social media done this? Is it easier to be mean then to be nice or say nothing at all?
I agree. The comments section on the online newspapers is infested with hateful trolls. And there are several forums here that have interesting subjects, but I avoid them like the clap. People will skip from forum to forum just to make negative remarks. I mean really uneducated unfounded hateful remarks.

A difference of opinion is one thing, but that is not what I am talking about. I wish online news would stop with the comments section. And even here on CD, there are people who just post thread after thread on crime by "thugs". I was reading the Oklahoma news and there were three murders, but none were by blacks. So it's a pretty safe bet, no one on CD will make a thread over those crimes.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
This^^

Unfortunately, a lot of people have very condescending/negative personalities and they don't have "filters" in their communication with other adults. I don't get the whole "tell it like I see it" attitude because I think people in general can give advice without seeming too negatively overt. I was like this long ago, but within the past 15 years, I learned to be more "cooperative" and acceptable in others feelings.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
redbird I agree. The comments section on the online newspapers is infested with hateful trolls. And there are several forums here that have interesting subjects, but I avoid them like the clap. People will skip from forum to forum just to make negative remarks. I mean really uneducated unfounded hateful remarks.
I used to feel the same way as you do, but being adventurous, I dove in...and yes, your right, hateful is giving them a nice word...they don't have anything constructive to offer to a thread, so they either, attack someone, or come in and leave a snarky comment that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Quote:
A difference of opinion is one thing, but that is not what I am talking about. I wish online news would stop with the comments section. And even here on CD, there are people who just post thread after thread on crime by "thugs". I was reading the Oklahoma news and there were three murders, but none were by blacks. So it's a pretty safe bet, no one on CD will make a thread over those crimes.
your exactly right, a difference of opinion, silly isn't it? That b/c someone is voting for one candidate and another is voting for another, they really become hostile, actually like your personally attacking them, which signifies, so many things....

1. Society is becoming a "me" society.
2. We're loosing intellectual skills
3. we are allowing our political affiliations to define us...

Have you ever seen a thread, you've opened or joined into, and there is a statement made and people, especially women, who the thread has nothing to do with, takes it as a personal attack against them??????? Come into the thread and get all upset about it...b/c you've made a statement, that apparently made them feel inadequate, but you don't know them, never corresponded with them, etc.

My concern is society here, and the lack thereof of awareness, intellectual skills, and the ability to problem solve....not to mention other declines in society....which is what is happening.

I just got done talking with a woman who coaches kids, 8th and 9th graders, and she was telling me horror stories about the parents....which translates to the values, and personal skills their kids develop. She is actually getting anxiety from it all...and I'm sitting there in shock....at how these parents are acting?

They actually tell her, what positions their kids are going to play....and during the games, they yell out, throw the ball to her, or her....amazing....? No respect. She said, this is her last year of coaching....really pathetic....

I believe strongly, that when a kid graduates, they should have to join the military for 2 years...before doing anything else, so they learn....

1. No matter where you do, you must learn and respect rules.
2. working together as a team
3. how to survive in the wilderness
4. How to learn respect for oneself and laws/rules
5. How to take care of oneself (b/c parents do everything for kids)
6. The importance of working for something you want
7. How to deal with disappointment
8. How to learn patience and tolerance

and so forth, but then, afterwards, chose a college major and receive credits according to how well you progress in the military or have the ability to take classes while in the military if one wants. But I firmly believe in this....b/c parents today, have made kids weak...(not all parents, but a whole lot of them) idiots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology