Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 07:56 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe you're both OCD. Or maybe neither of you is OCD.
Trust me, neither of us are OCD, but we certainly have our quirks.

Now, if you called us bat-crap crazy...I could give my endorsement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Go into his room and shut all his drawers. I'll bet he won't even notice.
Nope, not gonna do it. I have no reason to go in that room and I clean up after him all the time now as it is. It is easier for me just to close the door to that room - outta sight, outta mind. And it is not just the drawers in that room, the whole room looks like an episode of Hoarders.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Trust me, neither of us are OCD, but we certainly have our quirks.

Now, if you called us bat-crap crazy...I could give my endorsement.
Well, same here - LOL. We're a little crazy but we like it that way!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:14 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times
Quote:
Here's what I think - I think people who live together should be thoughtful about what bugs the other person. If a person knows that leaving lights on bugs the other person, they should turn them off when they leave the room. If a person knows that leaving drawers and cabinets open bugs the other person, they should close them.

. . . in a perfect world.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Here's what I think - I think people who live together should be thoughtful about what bugs the other person. If a person knows that leaving lights on bugs the other person, they should turn them off when they leave the room. If a person knows that leaving drawers and cabinets open bugs the other person, they should close them.
Yup.
Which is why I try hard to remember to close cabinet doors and my wife tries hard to turn off lights.

Are we perfect? No.
But the fact that we're trying makes the difference and makes it far less annoying.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 AM

22 posts, read 57,335 times
Quote:
Gotta love these internet diagnoses.

You know what - I think YOU are exhibiting signs of obsession. You are continuing to comment, in some depth, on this topic, which according to you is pretty irrelevant.

Let me guess - you leave cabinets and drawers open pretty often and someone in your life has been critical of this habit.
Kathryn, I DO have OCD, so I am familiar with the subject. I am more obsessive than compulsive. However, I don't leave cabinets and drawers open, but have other obsessions. When someone leaves something open, I just close it, no big deal.

Thank you for commenting and validating my comments!🙂

Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
Just because someone likes things to look orderly and neat doesn't mean they are OCD, and usually when randomly opened drawers and cabinets bother someone, it's probably because it looks sloppy to them. Are you saying there's something wrong with their preference for things to look and be orderly?

My husband has THE most disorganized mind - it's amazing, actually. And you know what - he's really smart and he's witty and he's so kind - I just love him to pieces. But yes, his disorganized mind causes problems sometimes, and I don't know when to say something and when not to sometimes.

I think the same "whatever in his brain" that makes him never put his wallet and keys down in the same place, also makes him prone to leaving cabinets and drawers randomly open. Now - he is not a messy person, and he likes for things to be clean, and he is constantly "organizing the garage" or "organizing his drawers," - except they are not very organized when he's done. They look neater but there's still not usually much rhyme or reason to them.

Consequently, he spends a lot of time each day looking for common items.

It doesn't matter what time I start getting dressed to go somewhere - it never fails - I am ALWAYS sitting in the car waiting for him, because he can't find something, or he came out to the car and then realized he didn't have something - like his phone, or wallet, or keys - with him. It does me absolutely no good to try to help him in this - in fact, he is prone to take offense if I try to offer advice or if I remind him to get something before he leaves. Or if I remind him, "We need to turn left up here." I mean, he will be all the way over in the right hand lane, 100 feet from the left turn, and if I finally say, "We need to turn left here," he usually says, "I know that - sheeze, what do you think I was doing? I was going to turn left. You don't have to remind me." So - if I don't remind him, and he passes the turn up, then he says, "What is wrong with me, where am I going? Were you going to say anything?"

Anyway, like I said, I think the same glitch also makes him forget to close cabinet doors and drawers. And if I say something about that, I get the same response about turning left or right - "I know - sheeze, what do you think I am, a complete idiot? I was going to close that. You are so impatient." Really? You were going to close it? When - after we got done with dinner? After we watch a movie? At what point did you plan on closing it? I KNOW YOU FORGOT TO CLOSE IT.

I realize I'm making my husband sound like an idiot. Actually, he works in a very fast paced work environment and under a lot of pressure to make quick decisions that are very expensive and can be very dangerous even in the best of circumstances. And he is FANTASTIC at that sort of thing. He's also a very observant man in many ways, and believe me, if you are in a crisis, you want him right there, because he is ON IT. Sometimes I wonder if closing cabinet doors and drawers, and picking up his wallet, or putting his keys in the same place when he comes in just feels mundane and uninteresting to him. I don't know.
Let me tell you how loud I hear you!

My DH thinks that if we need to be somewhere at 9:00 that means that is the time to start the shower. At times I tell him we are supposed to be somewhere half an hour before we are supposed to as it reduces my stress. When I was working, being late was an absolute NO, NO.

Keeping the cabinets closed keeps the dust off the dishes and glasses, reduces the risk of banging your head on the corner and just makes married life more pleasant. And don't even get me started on the dresser, I just let him toss his clothes on the closet shelves which I try not to even look at.

Enough for now, but you are not alone, for what that is worth. I have learned to slam doors to get the point made.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh016 View Post
I agree with what you said. But the fact that you are obsessing about it on this forum, and stating the people who leave drawers open have OCD and NOT you, indicates that you actually have OCD, but just don't want to admit it. You are using transference (transferring you ODC to another). There is nothing wrong with OCD and it does not lessen you as a person, so don't be afraid of it. If your OCD bothers you, then get medical attention, if not don't worry (obsess) about it. But you are obsessing about this.
Um, I am a licensed mental health professional with 23 years' experience. I assure you I do not qualify for OCD. And what you are calling Transference is actually called Projection. Transference is something completely different. But I suppose that because I like the proper definitions of things, that also means I have OCD. I'm still wondering how starting a casual online conversation constitutes "obsessing."

Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
I don't think wanting doors & drawers shut is OCD at all, or leaving them open a sign of being a slob. My dil and 2 grands leave them open, (she taught them this habit), and their house is spotless. BUT, I notice when they have company she shuts everything. lol I've asked her why she doesn't shut doors, and she said she doesn't know.

For those that leave drawers & doors open in the kitchen. Don't you worry about flies landing and puking on your silverware and dishes? If you think its OCD to want them closed, would you close them if you were having company? If your home was for sale and you were showing your house? If you said yes, you Know they belong closed.

Its not a 1st world problem, but for those of us who take the time to close them, we wonder why others don't. That's all.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
These are the same people that do not put the roll of toilet paper in the roller and stick it on the edge of the bathtub.
Quote:
Or who leave one or two squares of toilet paper on the roll so they don't "have to" replace it at all.
Both drive me nuts. The husband is very bad about this too, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology