Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 01:30 PM

171 posts, read 157,048 times

Advertisements

I have a dyslexic friend, and he has said that he has always found it hard to read and memorise long and/or complicated words - for example, he once tried to read the word "epistomology", and I believe he pronounced it like "epismolgy".
He also found it hard to memorise the meaning of that word (that is, to recognise it when he heard it) and lost interest in it pretty quickly, since he felt that it would just drain him of energy.
He has no problems having conversations with people and he does understand a few somewhat formal words, but he finds it very hard to learn them and this has resulted in him having a somewhat limited vocabulary.

He is content with life in general and seems genuinely cheerful, so I am not worried about him, he just isn't terribly interested in trying to learn complex words if he can help it.

Is this a common problem for dyslexic people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
There are different types of dyslexia. Some types are more spelling oriented. Some are more math and numbers oriented. Some are more vocabulary oriented. Some impact reading comprehension more than others.

My oldest son is dyslexic. They type of dyslexia he has impacts his spelling and the way he writes numbers as well. However, it has not impacted his vocabulary or understanding of complex words at all. In fact, he has a huge vocabulary and is very eloquent. But he has a difficult time READING unfamiliar words.

If he hears a word in context, he has no problem understanding, remembering or using the word.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:10 PM

776 posts, read 580,418 times
_________I might not be helping but will give you what I know. I'm autistic so that might blur the lines but I'm also dyslexic. I have the troubles you stated above. I haven't had any special help with this so at 26 so I would seem more or less stupid if you were to just meet me. I have trouble reading words and sentences. I will mix up numbers in a row, I can't remember address, phone numbers, or highways, all because I can't get the numbers straight. When reading I will mix up letters in words and words in sentences. When taking I will mix up words in phrases and letters in the words in phrases, this is key to dyslexia IMO as the same letters have to be their but just in a different order. The weird thing is that if I read to myself I can read, and comprehend, faster than anyone I've met so far, not saying a lot since I'm a-social.
_________My mother was dyslexic also, although I think she had it more server than me. She wrote completely backwards. My grandfather told me when she was little she would run into walls. He said the doctors told him that my mother's sight was affected by her dyslexia. If their was a door on the left and wall on the right she turn right to run at the door on the left and land against a wall. She got the help she needed when she was little, 8-9, so she doesn't have any of these issues anymore.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:12 PM

776 posts, read 580,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post
I have a dyslexic friend, and he has said that he has always found it hard to read and memorise long and/or complicated words - for example, he once tried to read the word "epistomology", and I believe he pronounced it like "epismolgy".
He also found it hard to memorise the meaning of that word (that is, to recognise it when he heard it) and lost interest in it pretty quickly, since he felt that it would just drain him of energy.
He has no problems having conversations with people and he does understand a few somewhat formal words, but he finds it very hard to learn them and this has resulted in him having a somewhat limited vocabulary.

He is content with life in general and seems genuinely cheerful, so I am not worried about him, he just isn't terribly interested in trying to learn complex words if he can help it.

Is this a common problem for dyslexic people?
I also find it cool that more people are being open about this. I thought I was the only one with these issues until I was about 23 because I never heard anyone else talk about it.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
There are so many kinds of "dyslexia" that it's really not viewed as one single disorder anymore. DSM-5 tried to improve things by breaking down learning disorders into "Specific Learning Disorder." Dyslexia would fall under Specific Learning Disorder With Impairment in Reading. but then you need to specify of its a problem with the accuracy of word reading, reading rate, reading fluency, or reading comprehension or a combination of any of those. My guess is that they still have not sufficiently identified the separate issues with any real validity yet.

As an example, my niece (8) was just recently diagnosed with dyslexia, but a form that is primarily a visual processing problem. Her ability to read changes with the color of the page, the color of the letters, and the light in the room. For example, she might read some passage at grade level on a blue page just fine, like all her classmates, but if you put that same passage on a yellow page, she'll stumble all over it. Change the font color or style, and it might knock her for a loop. Classrooms now have whiteboards and teachers use markers of different colors, which messes her up. She also has trouble transitioning to trying to read something on a blackboard with white chalk.

I have a feeling there are like 12 separate disorders that we are still calling "dyslexia." The old thinking that it's just reversing of letters and words is a think of the past.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
What kind of job does your friend have? I read that dyslexics tend to look for employment that isn't dependent on reading. This means more schmoozing-type professions, like sales, jobs that involved networking and bringing people together, that sort of thing. I knew a dyslexic who managed to do that. She helped with non-profit start-ups.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
The trades are good (and don't require schmoozing) - welding, construction, oil and gas, etc. You can make some sweet moolah in those fields as well. And no getting stuck behind a desk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology