Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 11:16 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times

Advertisements

I'm going through some intense therapy for anger issues. I have a really bad temper and went off on my boss at work over something I thought unfair. I even had a problem with my phone recently in which, after calling my carrier three times to rectify to little avail, I began screaming and smashed the phone down to the ground, shattering it in a million pieces! I'm going through a real difficult time now and I don't believe in taking out my personal frustrations on others, but seems that of late the smallest things set me off!

I don't like myself these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 11:18 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Hi,

I have been following your posts and the anger issue was present in many of them.

Glad you are taking steps to change that. I wish more angry people would want to do that.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:00 AM

473 posts, read 502,232 times
Please don't take offense.

I really think you would benefit from Batterers' Intervention Training which is offered at different drug addiction clinics. This class is required for diversion for domestic violence charges that could keep you from working or living where you want.

The REALLY helpful part of this class is an analysis of your argument style and that of your mate (whomever was beat up). It goes even farther to show analyze your 'stress' by recognizing your coping habits like compulsive stuff - drinking, shopping, sex, eating, gambling to know you are internalizing stresser that will show at the next piddly little thing that pisses you off and you blow it way out of proportion. Then you understand how you need to explain you are angry over __________ and you want _______________ resolution. It also teaches how to understand need for distance during an argument as you may need to think about other person's feelings and what compromise may do it, or resolution you want for whatever caused argument.

I don't know if regular therapy will hit this need right. May just be some cut rate social worker with master's degree letting you yack. However, therapy could be VERY helpful to see the patterns of your upbringing and resolve these issues before it affects your marriage or career. Some of these are learning their 'therapy training' from a self help books and rest of training is just how to intervene when you are going to harm self or others....

There is HUGE difference in 'therapy' so I thought it necessary to explain, though it seems insulting it is not meant to be. Can you tell I was raised around a belligerent?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:15 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post

I really think you would benefit from Batterers' Intervention Training which is offered at different drug addiction clinics. This class is required for diversion for domestic violence charges that could keep you from working or living where you want.

The REALLY helpful part of this class is an analysis of your argument style and that of your mate (whomever was beat up). It goes even farther to show analyze your 'stress' by recognizing your coping habits like compulsive stuff - drinking, shopping, sex, eating, gambling to know you are internalizing stresser that will show at the next piddly little thing that pisses you off and you blow it way out of proportion. Then you understand how you need to explain you are angry over __________ and you want _______________ resolution. It also teaches how to understand need for distance during an argument as you may need to think about other person's feelings and what compromise may do it, or resolution you want for whatever caused argument.

I don't know if regular therapy will hit this need right. May just be some cut rate social worker with master's degree letting you yack. However, therapy could be VERY helpful to see the patterns of your upbringing and resolve these issues before it affects your marriage or career. Some of these are learning their 'therapy training' from a self help books and rest of training is just how to intervene when you are going to harm self or others....

There is HUGE difference in 'therapy' so I thought it necessary to explain, though it seems insulting it is not meant to be. Can you tell I was raised around a belligerent?
No offense taken. :-)

I'm considering looking at courses for DV aggressors also. Find out what really sets them off.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:22 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post

I don't know if regular therapy will hit this need right.

May just be some cut rate social worker with master's degree letting you yack.

However, therapy could be VERY helpful to see the patterns of your upbringing and resolve these issues before it affects your marriage or career.

Some of these are learning their 'therapy training' from a self help books and rest of training is just how to intervene when you are going to harm self or others....

The bolded are the most offensive parts of your post. Do you have a Master's Degree in anything? Do you have an MSW? Then you really shouldn't denigrate something you know nothing about.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The bolded are the most offensive parts of your post. Do you have a Master's Degree in anything? Do you have an MSW? Then you really shouldn't denigrate something you know nothing about.
I found those statement offensive, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology