Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 06:07 AM

427 posts, read 440,037 times

Advertisements

Sneezing is an involuntary action as far as I know. The volume may be learned. For example if a parent was a loud sneezer, possibly their children maybe also. In the same vein, parents who are compelled to say 'Bless you' for every sneeze, could pass this to their children. Allergies, nasal passages and or sinusitis could play a role in the loudness and repeatativeness of sneezing. I tend to sneeze fairly loudly and sometimes in multiples. Believe me, the furthest thing in my mind is to call attention to myself. If I feel multiple sneezing coming on, I make every attempt to remove myself from others. A trip to the bathroom to blow my nose in an effort to stop sneezing sometimes helps. If not, I mutter an apology to those around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 06:32 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We have a friend who's a very loud sneezer. He tends to be ill mannered in many ways, so I don't think he knows any better.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Not that it bothers me but I have been around alot of people over the years.

I have noticed though that alot of times more-extroverted, vocal people will sneeze very loudly because I assume they like attention to be summoned in their direction.

I have had roommates in the past who tended to be louder in general who usually had extremely loud sneezes, while quieter roommates were usually quieter sneezes.

I know I am basically a silent sneezer most of the time where I make no noise. One silent sneeze that no one notices and that's it.

I had a roommate who was in the single and silent sneeze club like me and who I mentioned it and he agreed that he thought it was because it is a quick and easy way for entroverts to have extra attention.

I worked with a guy once who would sneeze several times very loudly in a row in March and April and while I thought it was comical and funny, there were co-workers who actually filed complaints because of his attention-summoning sneezing episodes.
Y'all are nuts. How hard is it to grasp that not everyone is the same? Too hard, apparently.

Sneezing is involuntary. You can't choose to sneeze, and you can't choose how loudly to sneeze. Some people simply sneeze loudly.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:31 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
I'm pretty shy but I have some loud sneezes. Believe me, the LAST thing I want while in a room with dozens of people is suddenly get all of the attention! When I was younger I was able to hold them in but now I just can't. Even sneezing into my elbow is loud.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Worse than the loud sneezers, are the fools that yell "Bless you" or the word that starts with G. That is just extra noise, especially in an 8th grade math classroom.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:14 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
Ha ha ha!

I am more of a quiet person and I sneeze very loud because my nose biologically makes that noise. My dad sneezes loud too I think I inherited that. Me and my Dad also snore. I am female.

I hate to hear women who sneeze internally like they are going to rupture their insides holding it in. Not natural at all. Let it out.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:41 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Y'all are nuts. How hard is it to grasp that not everyone is the same? Too hard, apparently.

Sneezing is involuntary. You can't choose to sneeze, and you can't choose how loudly to sneeze. Some people simply sneeze loudly.
^^ This! ^^

I'm a quiet sneezer. Hubby makes me jump sometimes with his sneezes. He is not an extrovert nor does he try to get attention. It's just the way he sneezes.

I can be sitting outside with the doors closed and there is no one inside with him, I can hear his sneeze and he's on the other side of the house. He does have allergies. I wonder if those that suffer allergies are typical louder sneezers... Hmm something new to ponder. I do not have allergies, just the occasional tickle in the nostrils.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I agree that sneezing is involuntary but the loudness is certainly under one's control. If someone claims that the volume is not controllable, they just haven't tried to sneeze more quietly.

I tend to believe in having a small "noise footprint" in life, so as not to disturb people around me. I contain myself. I think that calling attention to oneself is in poor taste (unless you are supposed to be speaking or teaching or performing before a group). I don't talk too loudly, I despise people who have to yell and shout everything. I can't stand people who walk into a room and you immediately know they are there because they call attention to themselves. People who cough loudly, sneeze loudly, laugh loudly, etc. I like to stay within my boundaries and not encroach too much on others. I tend to resent when they can't contain themselves, and spill all over their own boundaries and encroach too much on me. Spilling your noise all over others is akin to peeing all over others, in my book.

But I realize that my way is not the norm (though I wish it were). Maybe I was Asian in a past life...

Old 09-29-2016, 09:00 AM

274 posts, read 252,577 times
I have a loud sneeze. I can't help it. I'm not trying to draw attention. I would rather not sneeze at all, because I find them bothersome and often painful.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
My word! It must be miserable to live in a world where one can't control all aspects of other people and the noises they make.

I sincerely feel sorry for those that feel like noise encroaches into their personal space!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology