Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 09:51 AM

854 posts, read 520,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I'm being totally serious in saying that maybe forums in general are not for you...

Some people are far too sensitive to partake in certain things. That's life.
Why not just put a stop to the bullying? No one should be driven off sharing their opinions on a forum. The bullies should go (or be forced to by being banned). They wouldn't act like that in real life

Old 10-16-2016, 09:57 AM

613 posts, read 463,413 times
Cyber bullying is still bullying and very serious, however, there are more ways you can control cyber bullying than in real life. For instance, you can block people saying awful things to you, so that either you never have to see their messages or they're blocked from viewing your page altogether. You can't do that in real life.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:00 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
But wouldn't a better idea be for cyber bullying to be shut down entirely ? I mean the internet should be for everyone. People should be free from bullying everywhere.
Okay, then who is going to shut down bullying? Who is going to make the rules and enforce them? And how does that go hand in hand with the freedom to communicate?

Yeah, the internet is for everyone, but everyone includes a lot of crappy people. As we saw with what happened to Leslie Jones on Twitter over the summer, internet sites can ban specific users, but that's like slapping a band-aid on a hemorrhage.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
It depends how "personal" the attacks are. For example an attack over someone's race, gender or appearance would hardly fit into that same category. Such comments are made with the intention to hurt and are often a result of a lost argument (so the attacker uses personal insults). It is also a big deal for teenagers who are bullied. Social media has given bullies a new medium in which to continue tormenting their victims outside of school hours. This has triggered teens to kill themselves.
Racial/gender attacks are bad but again, why allow strangers to hurt your feelings. YOU control how YOU react to these attacks. YOU can CHOOSE to be hurt or you can CHOOSE to let it roll off your back. Why allow nameless, faceless people to hurt you?

As for teenagers, if I was a parent, I would teach my child that they have the power to CHOOSE how they react to these attacks. I find all of these social media teen suicides to be an offshoot of lack of emotional wellness training by parents.

As long as we are alive, someone is going to say something crazy about us. We can't control other people. We CAN control our reaction.

Again, STOP looking to others to solve the problem. YOU solve the problem within YOURSELF.

OP, do you at least agree that we can't control other people?

Old 10-16-2016, 11:54 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Racial/gender attacks are bad but again, why allow strangers to hurt your feelings. YOU control how YOU react to these attacks. YOU can CHOOSE to be hurt or you can CHOOSE to let it roll off your back. Why allow nameless, faceless people to hurt you?

As for teenagers, if I was a parent, I would teach my child that they have the power to CHOOSE how they react to these attacks. I find all of these social media teen suicides to be an offshoot of lack of emotional wellness training by parents.
Teenagers don't always have the same emotional resources that adults do when it comes to cyberbullying. You don't know why some people commit suicide. It's incredibly judgmental and deeply wrong to blame the victims or their parents for not having "emotional wellness". The fact is, you know nothing about these social media teen suicides, other than what you read in the media.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:

As long as we are alive, someone is going to say something crazy about us. We can't control other people. We CAN control our reaction.

Again, STOP looking to others to solve the problem. YOU solve the problem within YOURSELF.

OP, do you at least agree that we can't control other people?
I'm not going to agree with you on this issue.

Perhaps you should tell the mother of this child who killed himself because of cyberbullying that he should've just "ignored it":

Mother of cyber bullying victim pens heartbreaking open letter in response to his suicide | The Independent

Old 10-16-2016, 12:22 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Teenagers don't always have the same emotional resources that adults do when it comes to cyberbullying. You don't know why some people commit suicide. It's incredibly judgmental and deeply wrong to blame the victims or their parents for not having "emotional wellness". The fact is, you know nothing about these social media teen suicides, other than what you read in the media.
And not only teenagers ! I'm 52 and have been the scapegoat it seems my entire life ! Bullied all through school....thought it was over when I became an adult....internet is born, and because I've always been different and sensitive I'm an easy target because the sheep always attack those who are different.

I've also been through extreme trauma with the loss of my youngest son to Leukemia a few years ago and my husband as well from a sudden heart attack. I've poured my heart out about this on the thread I mentioned and everyone just ignores it and continues to beat me down.

Why can't people suspend judgement when they don't know a person's full story is what I don't understand ? I guess the mob mentality thing is just completely foreign to me.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I'm not going to agree with you on this issue.

Perhaps you should tell the mother of this child who killed himself because of cyberbullying that he should've just "ignored it":

Mother of cyber bullying victim pens heartbreaking open letter in response to his suicide | The Independent
I didn't ask you to agree on the overall issue. I asked if you agree on a simple concept. Can we or can't we control other people?

Can I control you? Can you control me?

If I can't control you and you can't control me, then how would anyone control anyone else on the internet? It's ludicrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Exactly. That's why it's up to PARENTS to teach and train their child to have those emotional resources. This should start at age 4 or when a child begins mass socialization via school exposure.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:59 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
I didn't ask you to agree on the overall issue. I asked if you agree on a simple concept. Can we or can't we control other people?

Can I control you? Can you control me?

If I can't control you and you can't control me, then how would anyone control anyone else on the internet? It's ludicrous.
Exactly. That's why it's up to PARENTS to teach and train their child to have those emotional resources. This should start at age 4 or when a child begins mass socialization via school exposure.
Yes.

And at some point adults (not children) need to stop being a victim. Block, ignore etc. Handle/cope with things.

If someone is crying all day about what someone said on the Internet, I feel for you but that needs addressing in a professional sense.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 PM

If there's one thing that makes me very angry it's victim blaming. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology