Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times

Advertisements

Thank you. Your comments made me feel less alone in there, which is a huge relief. I feel like I can relax a little bit and back away from the thread now. You did a good thing for a random stranger today, Tassity and I appreciate it.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:19 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Um, people tell me that I need to get psychiatric help on a pretty regular basis. Should I report that? I don't really mind, because it's true to an extent, but I don't know why they feel the need to point it out...
Really? You post about your odd difficulties and self-diagnoses constantly, looking (presumably) for feedback.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:34 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Really? You post about your odd difficulties and self-diagnoses constantly, looking (presumably) for feedback.
+1. Most of those here who complained the loudest posted their life/medical history...

Old 10-16-2016, 07:45 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
..........."Dogs sense what kind of people mailmen are and hate them for good reason "

(and a comment about having animal control show up if your dog bites someone "......................."It would be a Waco like standoff if they came for my dog "

Sometimes posters who cry " bullying, bullying" believe they should be able to post the most outlandish hateful comments and never get called on it..

Old 10-16-2016, 08:46 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
Another board I frequent has a few posters who are quick to scream that they're being bullied every time someone disagrees with them.

This kind of crying wolf behavior really clouds the impact of real cyber bullying.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
That's exactly how I'm starting to feel. The latest poster "Minervah" said that I don't love my dog because I don't keep him safe. She's talking out her ass. I posted back that I don't appreciate her snippy tone or her assumptions about the care I give my dog.

She posted back saying how all I want is attention and I'm not getting it from her.

This illustrates your point perfectly. People are allowed to clobber me but I'm not allowed to fight back ?!

She's nuts if she thinks I want HER attention. Frankly I wish the whole thread would disappear. I've spent almost the entire day in tears frantically defending myself against the biggest clique of mean spirited people I have ever had the displeasure of interacting with.

And then Veronicka made an appearance and took everyone's side against me. That's how bullies work. They group together and pick one person to death mercilessly. This is exactly how suicides and school shootings happen. You would think the bullies would have wised up by now.
fight all you want, dear heart. No one is stopping you.

I suggest people go to the thread in question and see for yourselves what it was all about because you're not getting the story here. But hurry because it was locked.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...r-gas-dog.html

Old 10-16-2016, 09:18 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I suggest people go to the thread in question and see for yourselves what it was all about because you're not getting the story here. But hurry because it was locked.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...r-gas-dog.html
Too late; all of Bandon's really over-the-top posts have been deleted (along with the replies to them).

Old 10-16-2016, 09:43 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Too late; all of Bandon's really over-the-top posts have been deleted (along with the replies to them).
I just spent the last 15 minutes (time that I'll never get back again, unfortunately) reading the.entire.thread. (OK, I'm waiting for a phone call and have nothing better to do....) If her over-the-top posts have been deleted, then what the heck was that that was still there? The ones I read were pretty over the top, in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I can acknowledge that being constantly debated by people who blatantly lack sufficient knowledge to do so in any meaningful way can get really, really tiresome, whether it's online or in person.

That said, if a person is seriously in tears all day or nearly in tears all day over interactions with anonymous strangers on a discussion board, it's probably time to step back, take a breath, get some perspective, and recognize that the emotional investment in the interaction is really probably misplaced or unwarranted. That's not really a stable response to the type of interactions that are best taken with a grain of salt and quickly moved on from and forgotten.

When you emotionally invest in a situation, always ask yourself if it's really worth it to do so. Debating things back and forth with thousands of strangers on a public forum is really probably not the hill to choose to die on, you know? It's kind of a worthless expenditure of energy to get that upset. These are people and opinions who are (or should be) pretty inconsequential in your life.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:03 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
That's exactly how I'm starting to feel. The latest poster "Minervah" said that I don't love my dog because I don't keep him safe. She's talking out her ass. I posted back that I don't appreciate her snippy tone or her assumptions about the care I give my dog.

She posted back saying how all I want is attention and I'm not getting it from her.

This illustrates your point perfectly. People are allowed to clobber me but I'm not allowed to fight back ?!

She's nuts if she thinks I want HER attention. Frankly I wish the whole thread would disappear. I've spent almost the entire day in tears frantically defending myself against the biggest clique of mean spirited people I have ever had the displeasure of interacting with.

And then Veronicka made an appearance and took everyone's side against me. That's how bullies work. They group together and pick one person to death mercilessly. This is exactly how suicides and school shootings happen. You would think the bullies would have wised up by now.

No I didn't take everyone's side against you. I was trying to look at the situation through my own eyes in a reasonable way and I merely stated my opinion about how a delivery person might be traumatized by dogs in general and they could overreact out of fear, not cruelty. That was my point and it had nothing to do with you.

What did have something to do with your comments was when you wished for everyone to suffer the extreme trauma you have suffered. That is very very mean. I do feel great compassion towards you and I am very sorry for your loss.

We don't know others losses, pain and trauma, and we think other people live charmed lives and never have to suffer like we do, but they have their own pain.

I agree with you about minor bullying and I think you were being bullied but you escalated that. You weren't being defensive, you were being offensive.

The thing to do when you feel like that is to walk away. If you had walked away, that never would have happened. I walk away or sometimes I will play along, but I don't attack back. That is what you were doing so you are like the pot calling the kettle black. I mean this with respect because I know how frustrated and upset you were and you were being ganged up on, but that could have been avoided.

I acknowledge that you were ganged up on. I read most of that thread and what you call fighting back is not defending yourself, it is attacking others personally. That was what escalated the problems you were having. Maybe you can't see that but I witnessed your hostility, not your defense.

I am not picking on you. You mentioned my name and accused me of taking everyone's side against you and I was just commenting on my own perspective, except for the part where I said it's not ok to wish horrible pain and suffering on others and it isn't. That was directed about a bullying remark made by you that I found personally offensive, because it was. You can't defend that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology