Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 11:03 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times

Advertisements

I used to play Texas Hold'em Poker Online. I played sometimes to fill time, but mostly to tune my poker skills. When I first started playing, it could be daunting, but I slowly got better and the game was entertaining.

About a month ago I noticed game play had changed.

Instead of measured and strategic play, I started noting that several players who became familiar to me would go "all in" and win big at moments that seemed improbable.

A little while later, I noticed that many people don't even bother with strategy anymore they just go "all in" on every single hand. Sometimes they win - sometimes they lose, but when I looked at their profile they had around a billion$ in chips - so it really didn't matter if they won or lost.

A third habit I have noticed is that people with similar profiles and avatars would enter and leave a table at the same time and win or lose in a way that just suckered in someone not on their "team" and also funnel chips to one another.

Basically they seemed to be cheating.

When I discovered this, I did a google search to see if there were published online cheats to the game. I found two of the three activities I described above on cheat sites.

I wonder what type of personality would go through the trouble to cheat like this. And what could they possible get out of spending hours of time cheating a game for which there is no monetary gain to be had, or for that matter any gain at all that I can figure. This seems like an incredible waste of time and really what kind of thrill can you get out of such hollow "wins."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 01:21 PM

776 posts, read 580,418 times
Hollow wins...
I think their are some people on this site that just say popular things to get credit points, therefore they forgo having a good conversation or giving honest POV's to have a higher status. I wonder if they are connected or it is more of an addiction thing. My family has, what I believe are hereditary, additions problems. I tried to successfully move them to these games instead of the monetary ones as they were loosing money. I wonder if these people have the same addictions and are just on a high. If so, I'm sorry to be one sending them to your sites.

As for waste of time....
Isn't almost all games a waste of time, and I'm a gamer. I'll give it to you though Poker is one of the better ones, creating better skills. I play SimCity a lot, get board or annoyed that the residents aren't using something correctly and destroy the plot and start over. This isn't real city planning, the people don't represent actual people, I really don't feel I'm gaining anything but creativity, and how much worth is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology