Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,564 times

Advertisements

When you realize you are just cruising thru life, no goal in sight, no aim, no milestone you are working toward. Then you stop & ask yourself "what are my goals? what am I doing? What can I do?". You are instantly reminded..welll "I need to lose weight, get healthy, maybe work on finance, study the religion more, be more active....etc" so many run of the mill, eons old, same ol same ol goals still sitting there to tackle.

But they don't feel like goals anymore. Weight loss is constantly part of life, financial improvement, spiritual improvement have always been in background. Have you experienced this phase in life? How do you handle this phase in life?

Do you search for new goals to focus on?
Do you push yourself to pick one of the age old goal that never seem to end & really go after it?
Do you consider this "bla" phase as depression & talk to someone or in my case make a thread here

I do feel blah & i feel change (new beginning) in the air coming. I just don't know what
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 01:44 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
I've hit this wall periodically through my life. The best advice I ever got was from a friend who told me I needed to stop pressuring myself to find some lofty goal, or focus on a goal I really don't care about just for the sake of having one. "Just dabble," he said, and dang if he wasn't right. It helped me develop new interests and -- ultimately -- new goals.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:23 PM

776 posts, read 579,987 times
I hit that wall. The bad thing is I can't seem to find any motivation without goals. I'm literally zombie-ing it. When I had dreams, I could power myself(with the help of caffeine of course) through 70-80hr work weeks. Now I'm burnt, unemployed and the only thing making me want to get a job and an apartment is the cold nights. I don't have an answer. I do have to say thank you for not turning into a political or religious nut job. I feel they are made by the first part but never
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
stop & ask yourself "what are my goals? what am I doing? What can I do?".

Old 10-23-2016, 02:36 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
You don't always have to have a goal. Sometimes being alive is enough. We spend to much time worrying about what we need to do that we don't enjoy the present.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:08 PM

Thanks for response. I guess I need to work on releasing this feeling/need to have goal, need to work toward something. Embrace the lost feeling :S

Old 10-24-2016, 10:44 AM

I had an epiphany yesterday as I was listening to various Ted talk and other motivation speech on YouTube. I came across a guy name Brendon Burchard video on "The Pains of Progress". He explained 3 cost of progress

1) Uncertainty of future. As a chemist, I love experimenting and uncertainty does not scare me

2) Judgment of what people will say. Tobehonest, it took me a long time to get over it and still to this day "what will my mother say" is a big factor in my life. But over the years I have worked on this & except for my mom and my husbands opinion, I could care less about others. I don't think this is my issue

3) Struggle but this, this struggle is a major issue for me. I don't like rocking the boat and so far my life has been fairly easy with few hiccups here and there. I need to struggle, keep that mindset of struggle/challenge. I don't need new goals, I have to struggle to improve my current self. Focus on weight, focus on being productive, focus on keeping in touch with friends, focus on cleaning house. Yea boring goal but its about time I focus. Maybe this motivation will carry me thru

Quote:
  • If everything were easy, none of us would grow.
  • If everything were easy, none of us would learn.
  • If everything were easy, none of us would ever feel alive.
It’s in that struggle, in the fight, in the challenge that we find real growth, that we find The Charged Life because you know what? A lot of people, they live what we call the comfortable life. Everything is fine, everything is great, everything is easy.

And then, at some point, someone says, “How is your life?” And they go, “It’s fine.”

And they say it knowing that something is missing. You know what’s missing?
The push, the challenge, the struggle, the growth that comes from those things.

So, are you going to struggle?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:04 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
This is interesting to me, and really has been hitting me hard lately. I hit most of my life goals and I am relatively young (not even 40 yet). I lost 50 lbs in last year, have a career, constantly getting new certifications or learning new things, paid off my mortgage, etc. I know I have to reach for more lofty goals, one of which is running a 1/2 marathon next year. Thing is, it becomes like a hamster wheel after a while, just combat the next goal, then the next one, etc. It rings empty after a while, and frankly when you are an A-type like myself, the opposite holds true in life where you need to allow yourself to slack off once in a while.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:21 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
When you realize you are just cruising thru life, no goal in sight, no aim, no milestone you are working toward. Then you stop & ask yourself "what are my goals? what am I doing? What can I do?". You are instantly reminded..welll "I need to lose weight, get healthy, maybe work on finance, study the religion more, be more active....etc" so many run of the mill, eons old, same ol same ol goals still sitting there to tackle.

But they don't feel like goals anymore. Weight loss is constantly part of life, financial improvement, spiritual improvement have always been in background. Have you experienced this phase in life? How do you handle this phase in life?

Do you search for new goals to focus on?
Do you push yourself to pick one of the age old goal that never seem to end & really go after it?
Do you consider this "bla" phase as depression & talk to someone or in my case make a thread here

I do feel blah & i feel change (new beginning) in the air coming. I just don't know what
Maybe it is seasonal? Winter blahness?

I always have goals and I tell you, it isn't easy. I am constantly working towards something instead of just not caring and relaxing for a bit. Kinda stressful.

As long as you are working and earning a living, why not just be happy? Not everybody always needs goals.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Maybe it is seasonal? Winter blahness?

I always have goals and I tell you, it isn't easy. I am constantly working towards something instead of just not caring and relaxing for a bit. Kinda stressful.

As long as you are working and earning a living, why not just be happy? Not everybody always needs goals.
I guess I don;t know how to. I went on my first beach trip earlier this year to Bahamas for 4 days. Prior to this trip i could not understand why anyone would pay such money to sit at a beach all day. Although i love water & riverwalk is one of my favorite place to go for walk or think about life while gazing at the wave. But that happens for few hours per week not 4 days continuously. It took me 2 days to finally relax and not think about life and make to do list while relaxing by the beach in Bahama. I need to embrace the relax, no goal but at this point i feel depress & lost without goal.

I won't make big goals for now but i will focus on everyday struggle i have and improve them

Old 10-24-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
This is interesting to me, and really has been hitting me hard lately. I hit most of my life goals and I am relatively young (not even 40 yet). I lost 50 lbs in last year, have a career, constantly getting new certifications or learning new things, paid off my mortgage, etc. I know I have to reach for more lofty goals, one of which is running a 1/2 marathon next year. Thing is, it becomes like a hamster wheel after a while, just combat the next goal, then the next one, etc. It rings empty after a while, and frankly when you are an A-type like myself, the opposite holds true in life where you need to allow yourself to slack off once in a while.
When i was younger I told myself I never want to join the rat race. That is why I never ran after money or career. But by god's blessing i have been fairly blessed in that department without too much effort. i always focused on other thing. but maybe i just shifted myself from one rat race to another. Interesting point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology