Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:55 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I'm a white person, and in general I can make it through the day without really giving this fact any thought. I mean, it's not that my skin color isn't obvious; it's just that's not something that I dwell on.

But there have been times when I've been in situations where I've been the only white person present, and I have felt VERY self-conscious of my race. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about situations where I might actually be in danger (though, sadly, there have been a few of those too); but rather, situations in which it seemed very unlikely that anyone would wish me any harm. Once, my friend and I were the only two white people in a church filled with something like 400 black people. Another time, I was the only white person in a church with around 100 Asian people. In both cases, I was received warmly and treated well. But I still felt very, very subconscious.

I've heard it said that some minority people cannot go through their day without being aware of their race. Is this is a common experience? Is it more of an issue if they live in an area where they are in the distinct minority, or is it true even if they live in an area populated with many people of their same race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 10:55 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
This is interesting, Bus-Man. Once we were near Times Square at a comedy club where the concierge assured us we would not be "out of place", but we were the only whites there. Nothing was negative, but it was a different experience and made me think about how it feels to be a minority. The comedian singled us out for good-natured ridicule!

Now it is a constant awareness since we are in a Latin country. Though I never sense any resentment, I worry about it a bit. It is consciousness-raising to now be the minority.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:22 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Hello there. I'm a white person, and in general I can make it through the day without really giving this fact any thought. I mean, it's not that my skin color isn't obvious; it's just that's not something that I dwell on.

But there have been times when I've been in situations where I've been the only white person present, and I have felt VERY self-conscious of my race. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about situations where I might actually be in danger (though, sadly, there have been a few of those too); but rather, situations in which it seemed very unlikely that anyone would wish me any harm. Once, my friend and I were the only two white people in a church filled with something like 400 black people. Another time, I was the only white person in a church with around 100 Asian people. In both cases, I was received warmly and treated well. But I still felt very, very subconscious.

I've heard it said that some minority people cannot go through their day without being aware of their race. Is this is a common experience? Is it more of an issue if they live in an area where they are in the distinct minority, or is it true even if they live in an area populated with many people of their same race?
Yes, I'm black and I'm always aware of it. It doesn't always matter, but it's not something that I forget about.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:59 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
I am aware of my race.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:31 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Race is the stupidest characteristic ever invented. We are all individual humans, period.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:53 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Well as a white dude living just off an ivy league campus, the closest I come to feeling like the odd person out is when I walk through the campus on a day when class is in session and half the people I encounter are Asian*. Compared to what many minorities have to put up with, I have nothing to whine about. My far bigger problem is that 100% of the students are about 40 years younger than me ;-) So I feel old more than anything else.

I suspect if you took any random person you would find there is something -- their race, their age, their weight, their hair -- something -- that they are excessively aware of because of comparing themselves to others or to some useless and irrelevant ideal.

* Actually 19% of the undergrads are Asian, but more of them live near my area of the campus.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 PM

854 posts, read 520,000 times
Yes of course. I am a humanoid.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I'm black. Anytime I'm not aware of what race I am, society sure enough reminds me that I'm black,

Old 10-24-2016, 07:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I live in South Florida where white people are the minority. I am a white person and I never think about my race. My friends are all races.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:26 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
No. I'm white. I grew up in an all white small town and moved to an area that is very diverse. At first I thought about race a lot when I saw a non white person. I'm back to not thinking about race anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology