Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 3,526 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a bit of a loner. People say "you're the nicest guy I don't know"
I have a couple of close friends from childhood that I keep up with.
My wife has her friends, but always wishes we were close with one couple together to have dinners with etc.
So, I tell her she can have all the friends she wants but dont include me. Lol.
I'm trying to change that. How do I do that, and why do I shy away from it.
I have had a hard time letting people "in" if you know what I mean. I don't let people get too close.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:42 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
Find people you like. Be tolerant of differences and find enough in common to hang out. I have friends who play guitar with me and while we are opposites on politics and many other things we find enough in common to spend time together and HAVE A LOT OF FUN. Being tolerant of differences seems to be very hard for humans. My dogs are fine with it though. Also, don't use "text" to communicate as a rule. Call them on the phone, speak to them face to face. Text is so impersonal.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:46 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakemellamo View Post
My wife has her friends, but always wishes we were close with one couple together to have dinners with etc.
I have had a hard time letting people "in" if you know what I mean. I don't let people get too close.

Thanks
You don't have to let anybody 'in.' Assuming your wife is good to you, just suck it up, go out on the occasional couples date and don't get into any controversial discussions. Keep the wife happy.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:53 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
You don't have to let anybody 'in.' Assuming your wife is good to you, just suck it up, go out on the occasional couples date and don't get into any controversial discussions. Keep the wife happy.
That sounds painfully boring to just "be" there and not "connect" with anyone. My wife and I are great at finding couples who we both enjoy.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:47 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times
Quote:

Thanks
How much are you sacrificing for her happiness? How much does she sacrifice for you?

We are talking, what, maybe a couple of hours per week? Is what you have so important that you can't suffer in silence for a couple of hours? Have you even made an attempt?

I know people who are socially awkward have a difficult time in these situations, but take some time and really think about what you and your wife would be gaining before taking the self-centered approach of "I don't like it, so I'm not doing it". I'd be willing to bet your wife would be very appreciative.

And who knows, maybe you make a new friend.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Interesting username...

My experience:

My wife and I have different sorts of friends in general, this was even the case before we knew each other. Generally this is a good thing it keeps things interesting.

However, I will say that there are VERY FEW husbands of my wife's friends that I feel any sort of friendship with. Like maybe 1 out of 10 if I'm lucky. I can speculate as to why, but it doesn't really matter.

We have much better luck doing couples social events with people I am friends with or people we've met recently or jointly.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:43 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:

Thanks
She is trying to find out if you are into swinging.. Go have fun..

Old 11-02-2016, 01:10 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
That sounds painfully boring to just "be" there and not "connect" with anyone. My wife and I are great at finding couples who we both enjoy.
I'm happy for you ... I truly am. But, I was addressing the OP.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:59 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

Thanks
Just have a few drinks and try some couples. Pick the two best couples and see them on a fairly regular basis - at different events. After a year they will start to seem like friends enough for your wife to be happy and you to be ok with it; even if its not something you'd initiate.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:35 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
I assume she married you knowing you were a loner. Now she wants you to change...

I knew my husband was a loner when I married him. Luckily I have some loner qualities too--so it works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology