Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:32 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If the answer is no, op, why do you care WHY it's no?

Makes no sense.
Actually, the person who doesn't care about the 'why' is the one who makes me wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 06:00 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Example if someone doesn't want to come and has nothing else to do but go about their daily lives but says they have other plans, isn't that dishonest, or at best a half truth, why would one not say instead of saying sorry I have other plans to say I just don't want to go or it does not interest me? why are people so evasive of providing these details when rsvping to others? and besides another thing that really annoying me if they do have other plans and its not just a cover up for not wanting to go, why don't they reveal to me what there other plans actually are, example going away, going to a family thing, etc. to me thats a half truth at best, why not reveal the full story then?

Please help me on this one, I would really like to know, I am one who reveals all.
Because they are trying to avoid a confrontation. Or they don't want to hurt your feelings, (just yet) or because they think they want to go - or can force themselves to do it - but at the last minute, can't muster up the strength to go through with it.

Some are well intentioned - but they may suffer from avoidance personality disorder, or social anxiety disorder. Some have difficulty saying "no".

Others are not so well intentioned.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:56 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Actually, the person who doesn't care about the 'why' is the one who makes me wonder.
Why?
You're having a party. You want to know how many people are coming.
It's a yes/no question.

What difference does it make WHY? They can't come.

It's snooty, snoopy, and intrusive to demand to know why.
Maybe I have another party.
Maybe I am on my period and have terrible cramps and diarrhea.
Maybe I think your parties are boring.
Maybe I think ALL parties are boring.
Maybe I'm having a colonoscopy that day.

Who the eff cares?

Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 PM

469 posts, read 398,350 times
Miss Manners says it is not proper etiquette to demand any sort of reason when someone responds with a No to an invitation. You, OP, are the one being rude.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:11 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
People don't owe you an explanation. Honestly, I can't deal with people who interrogate.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
Miss Manners says it is not proper etiquette to demand any sort of reason when someone responds with a No to an invitation. You, OP, are the one being rude.
Yup.

I never ask why.
But after the third declined invite, I never invite again.
Rare, but I've done it.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:26 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
be happy you got a response at all.

People are so rude these days they don't bother to respond. A friend's friend recently decided she won;t be having her annual christmas party this year. She's tired of having to chase people down to get answers.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:14 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
be happy you got a response at all.

People are so rude these days they don't bother to respond. A friend's friend recently decided she won;t be having her annual christmas party this year. She's tired of having to chase people down to get answers.
Preach! This is so true. Anymore people don't respond to anything.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:26 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Example if someone doesn't want to come and has nothing else to do but go about their daily lives but says they have other plans, isn't that dishonest, or at best a half truth, why would one not say instead of saying sorry I have other plans to say I just don't want to go or it does not interest me? why are people so evasive of providing these details when rsvping to others? and besides another thing that really annoying me if they do have other plans and its not just a cover up for not wanting to go, why don't they reveal to me what there other plans actually are, example going away, going to a family thing, etc. to me thats a half truth at best, why not reveal the full story then?

Please help me on this one, I would really like to know, I am one who reveals all.
Maybe they are just trying to be polite. If they do actually have plans it is really none of your business.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But after the third declined invite, I never invite again.
Rare, but I've done it.
Same, and if somebody who has RSVPd in the affirmative is then a no-show with no explanation, they also don't get future invites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology