Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,797,137 times

Advertisements

Don't say anything bad about millennials or you will be placed in CD jail....take it from me. Don't forget they run the internet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 05:42 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Don't say anything bad about millennials or you will be placed in CD jail....take it from me. Don't forget they run the internet!
Some of us do, but not everyone is fortunate enough to be Mark Zukerburg. I wish I could get some programming training, though, because the idea that we're all just awesome at technology is a positive stereotype about us that could lead us to great benefits.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,855,733 times
Millennials have been the ones fighting the longest war in our history. They've won six Medals of Honor; four of them posthumously. They came of age when the economy was tanked and generations before them did not leave them much to work with. And yet, they keep innovating, sacrificing, and helping us to remember the values we claim to stand for.

I think they are just fine.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:55 AM

482 posts, read 396,055 times
I'm not trying to join the pile-on against Millennials. In fact I may (barely) be a Millennial myself. I've seen a lot of behaviors in the workplace by Millennials that were completely entitled, tone-deaf, and generally asinine, but I'd attribute it more to immaturity and inexperience than pinning it on a specific "generation". In other words, yes, Generation Xers and Baby Boomers were all once young and dumb as well, just in different ways.

With all that said, here are a few laughs:

- There was the young lady who was hired as a nurse and quit when she realized she'd have to work holidays.

My reaction: Did you think all the patients would leave the hospital on holidays?

- How about the stay-at-home mom in an upscale Southern suburb who regularly ridiculed her husband's employer for not paying him well (he earned approximately 150k annually).

My reaction: G-d forbid anyone ever have to live in the South on less than 200k. The Joneses must be putting a lot of pressure on the market for keeping up with them.

- The one I've seen most frequently is the worker who starts a new job and goes to WAR with management and with the more experienced employees to get their preferred vacation times.

My reaction: Why not spend at least your first day on the job demonstrating your value to the company, then wait to demand your preferred off times on the second day?

- But this one is my favorite: the worker who showed up to work one hour late every single day. No apologies. No excuses. And no staying late to make up for the tardiness. The person was just an hour late and that was that.

My reaction:

Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,011,165 times
Millennials are simply used an excuse for older people to make bad decisions or blame others for their own failings. As a generation, they are a bit different than others - as each generation is - but they are nothing remarkable or strange, as so many would lead you to believe.

They are used as a scapegoat for all the world's failings. Look around these forums or any news site that caters to the aging Boomer crowd, and you'll have no problem finding drivel "news" stories attempting to blame Millennials for everything wrong with the nation or world. Nevermind the facts - that the decisions that led to today's problems were made before Millennials could vote or, in some cases, even walk. But it is easier to create a scapegoat - "dang kids these days!" - than to take a hard look in the mirror and realize that the problems of the world today are partly YOUR fault, not the fault of your kids who were not born at the time.

They are held up as mysteries by the ignorant and people just looking for something seemingly insightful to say. I've lost track of the number of stupid "news" articles I've read, touting how Millennials are "vastly different" than previous generations based on things like: their low home ownership rates, low employment rates, etc. No, THEY are not different - the world is different. Houses are horribly expensive, jobs are hard to come by, and so on. If given the chance, they'd own a big home and have a good job like everyone else.

Finally, they are used as excuses by shysters and exploited by those in power. Case in point, the corporation where I work is starting to switch to noisy, cheap, open office plans in some remodeled areas. They try to blame the Millennials for this change, but it is an obviously transparent lie. No, Millennials are not the first generation in human history to want to work in smaller, noisier, and more crowded environments; but switching to such an environment is cheaper for the company - more people per square foot. And the Millennials won't complain when asked or blamed for this because they are just thankful to have a job.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,011,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Lol for days at these gross generalizations. I knew we'd see that ever-popular and wholly cliche participation trophy remark. I don't ever remember this being a thing during my youth. I never played sports, but participation trophies weren't a thing for my peers and relatives who played sports.

And the supposed helicopter parenting the poor millennial generation endured... what does that look like, exactly? 'Cause that sure wasn't my upbringing.
Gross stereotypes are a key part of the trade in places like this one, that cater to an angry, aging crowd looking for other people to blame for their own failings in life and the problems they've allowed to fester in the world... if not directly supported at the ballot box. I've already seen one reference to "snowflakes" on this thread - a snot-nosed term made up by angry old farts who don't like being called out on their BS, and I bet if i looked around further, I'd find more arrogance and drivel, but it's not worth the effort.

I'm old enough to remember the first whining about "participation trophies" by the rose-colored glasses wearing grognards of the day, and it was nothing but vastly exaggerated BS then as it is now. To this day I still don't understand what the angry elderly hate about them since there's nothing wrong with rewarding people for showing up and playing as a team. Not everything needs to be some insane, life and death struggle where only the "best people" get anything out of it. For all the whiners about "participation trophies," do you still get paid at work even if you're not "the best" or the guy at the top? If so, enjoy your participation paycheck and shut up.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 AM

712 posts, read 423,716 times
I think they should be seen and not heard.

And if we could not see them, all the better.

Damn kids......

Old 08-16-2017, 01:18 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,961,430 times
I know when I was in my 20's, and working at my first "for real" job, I felt I was entitled. I was entitled to fairness, I was entitled to hopping out of my chair when my boyfriend got to work (yeah...I was dating a co-worker, but he worked a different shift) and other entitled type behavior. I was kind of spoiled I guess. I'm not proud of it.

My supervisor at the time had a little sit-down with me one day and told me I was not entitled to anything about my job, and I needed to get over the notion about life being fair, and pointed out to me that it wasn't fair to my coworkers when I hopped out of my chair to go say hi and chit chat with my boyfriend for a few minutes, and it not being my break. (I know, I know...I was being a problem child.)

She did me a huge favor having that talk with me. She made me see how my poor behavior was effecting everyone else, and I saw that she was right. Her talk with me helped me grow up a lot in regards to my employment.

Soooo maybe it's not just millennials. Maybe it's being young. Maybe it's not having enough real life experience to realize a good job is a blessing, not right.

But with time, they'll hopefully figure it out.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,632,914 times
Except for the use of modern technology, the same can be said about people in ANY generation, old and young. There will be people in ANY generation who will take their job seriously and those who won't, those who understand work culture and those who don't, those who know what's appropriate to talk about at work and those who don't.

As for the 30 year old woman who bashes her co-workers, I know 60 year olds still doing this!!! It is not a generational problem. It is Human Nature. Humans are the same regardless of how old they are.

So sick of everyone bashing the next generation. At least OP acknowledged this exists.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:03 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,766,290 times
I'm a barely-Boomer who raised a barely Millenial.

I did "do" parenting better than others had "for generations". My son is NOT a narcisistic navel-gazer, he's a gainfully employed successful academic.

Everything y'all are yapping on about is the exact same nonsense people have yapped on about for thousands of years. The last generation of parents are always too permissive and the current generation is always lazy and self-centered.

Quote:
The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.
*Socrates

Nothing new in this kind of multi-generation bashing. I'm sure that there were Neanderthals yapping on about the current generation of lazy children who rely on new-fangled inventions like the wheel and spend way to much time building a fire just to burn a perfectly good steak.

Last edited by Pyewackette; 08-18-2017 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology