Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:04 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,554,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Good post. I have also noticed the need for a lot of feedback and support, a weakness of mine as a manager. I also agree on the ignorance. Yet they think they o everything. They don't seek out mentors and are not modest at all. They have no problem throwing you under the bus to your superiors. Maybe thats an ignorance thing, I don't know, but it infuriates me. I expect the people who report to me to make me look good, and in turn they get rewarded. They just don't get it. I guess I didn't either at 25, but I also wasn't nearly as arrogant or bold.
Again, I think it's an ignorance of cultural expectations thing. They are used to people tattling on them, so they think it is okay to tattle on other people. They're leery of people, so they may see bosses and superiors as a "threat" or "the enemy" instead of people who genuinely want to help them. They've heard what amounts to "don't let them take advantage of you" and "don't be a doormat," and they've interpreted that to make themselves hyper-assertive, even aggressive and cocky so that they don't appear weak. They don't know that asking for help is expected, and some, like me, have communication issues that prevent them from believing people will even understand what they want.

I remember I had a cooperating teacher who wasn't very clear on her expectations of me, so I went and told on her to the assistant principal. I wasn't trying to be mean. I just wanted her to be clear so that I could get good marks and succeed on my assignments. After she explained that she didn't want me to do that, I stopped, because I didn't want to get in trouble with her or with anyone else. I just wanted to make a good impression and felt like she was keeping me from succeeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 08:08 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,771,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Again, I think it's an ignorance of cultural expectations thing. They are used to people tattling on them, so they think it is okay to tattle on other people. They're leery of people, so they may see bosses and superiors as a "threat" or "the enemy" instead of people who genuinely want to help them. They've heard what amounts to "don't let them take advantage of you" and "don't be a doormat," and they've interpreted that to make themselves hyper-assertive, even aggressive and cocky so that they don't appear weak. They don't know that asking for help is expected, and some, like me, have communication issues that prevent them from believing people will even understand what they want.

I remember I had a cooperating teacher who wasn't very clear on her expectations of me, so I went and told on her to the assistant principal. I wasn't trying to be mean. I just wanted her to be clear so that I could get good marks and succeed on my assignments. After she explained that she didn't want me to do that, I stopped, because I didn't want to get in trouble with her or with anyone else. I just wanted to make a good impression and felt like she was keeping me from succeeding.
Well, shame on their baby boomer parents for not teaching them! I don't 100% blame millennials, but I'm amazed at the expectations they have, as well as the ignorance. That in large part has to do with their parents. Nobody's perfect, and there are exceptions. I also realize this is a stereotype, but I do see it a lot. I work with another millennial who's parents taught him not to expect things without working for them.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:34 PM

26,605 posts, read 26,506,457 times
"Planning to hire Millennials in your office? This guide will teach you how to co-exist with this challenging new generation of workers."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz0o9clVQu8

Old 11-25-2016, 08:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,305,619 times
I don't think that preferring that clear expectations be communicated in the workplace is a particularly millennial trait. It's all-around best practice.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:13 PM

11,928 posts, read 8,257,017 times
The ones that are well-adjusted are really great kids; others are insufferable. I don't meet a lot of them that are just middling.

Something I see frequently is a level of incalcitrance and defensiveness that will make it very difficult for them to learn from others.

They are strongly opinionated and loyal to their values systems. This can be either a positive or a negative.

What ever I have to say about them I can confidently state they never fail to surprise me.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:14 PM

11,928 posts, read 8,257,017 times
They never fail to surprise me.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:18 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,257,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I think most adults over the age of, say, 35, can see how the Millennials, as a generation, have been pampered. But, I think they're unfairly picked on.

After all, who chose to raise them the way many of them were raised? Their (predominantly) Baby Boomer parents did. In typical Boomer fashion, they wanted to continue to be the century's "trailblazers" once they started having kids, so they "reinvented" parenting, and did it "better" than other parents had for, oh, generations. And, voilà! The era of navel-gazing, competitive hyperparenting was under way, and has been with us ever since (lots of them now approach grandparenting the same way, God help us, and social media helps them get the attention for their “trailblazing” there, too). The Millennials are narcissistic, you say? Gee, I wonder why that would be.

I'm not letting my own generation (GenX) off the hook here. Not at all. In parenting and other areas, we, in many respects, grabbed the baton from the Boomers and ran with it, wearing down their path. Time will tell how Millennials will raise their own kids, once larger numbers of them start families. But, in other ways, I see Millennials doing things differently. They seem to be consciously forging their own paths, rejecting some of the poor choices the Boomers and, to a lesser extent, the GenXers, embraced without much thought. I applaud them for that. I hope it's not simply a trend, and that they don't, collectively, make a 180° turn like many in their parents' generation did.

Though I'm an older GenXer and a mom of 3 teenagers, I became aware of over-the-top parenting trends when my kids were babies. I wanted them to have something resembling my own 1970s childhood and 80s teen years: the freedom to create their own fun and their own "worlds", away from the constant imposition of hovering, anxious, controlling adults; but also the freedom to make, and learn from, mistakes. And the freedom to fail. I am not going to even try to make everything perfect for them, and I'm not interested in micromanaging them. Their father and I offer them the examples, experiences and tools that will help them excel (far more than we EVER received), but the rest is up to them.

I've worked with a relatively-small number of Millennials who fit the impressionable, over-protected, security-obsessed stereotype, but these were a minority, albeit a very noticeable one. For men or women raised in stable families, or with an adaptable personality, this issue seldom seems to come to light, but it's mostly a minority among the males who can make me feel uncomfortable, and I attribute this to too much time in a one-parent, female-headed household (Admittedly, many workplaces have also taken a page from our schools, where a diminishing male presence has also been making itself felt for several decades now).

Obviously, everyone has a basic right to respect and civility while on the job, but the cumulative effect of many changes, and a lot of them are subtle or capable of various interpretations; and that can, in turn, allow an individual with a forceful personality (usually a woman, possibly unmarried or an "empty nester" and possibly unafraid to speak up because not too much is at stake) to wield a disproportionate influence in a small workplace, which can lead to personality clashes. We can't expect every place of employment to devolve into something resembling an oversensitized classroom, however.

And as regards the recent election, I can attest that the "Trump backlash" was a phenomenon as common to the women as to the men. I live in a rural 95% white Anglo, mostly German-surnamed community that normally wavers around a balance between the two parties of 40-60%, but voted 4-to-1 (with heavy turnout) for Trump two weeks ago -- the consensus among many whom I knew, or who spoke out in public, was a loss of empathy with the leadership in Washington and Harrisburg.

But over the long run, I suspect that most of these imbalances will resolve themselves via the natural ebb and flow of human interaction; over the summer I also worked with a very young, very diverse, and very "hip" group of international interns, Asians and Africans as well as Europeans, and if their concerns (a few weeks to explore some new places and -- for some -- getting a few hours behind a steering wheel) are typical, the world doesn't have too much to worry about.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-25-2016 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 09:48 PM

102,068 posts, read 107,036,480 times
OP, I couldn't possibly paint an entire generation with the same brush. I know too many millennials who are hard-working, have good (normal) social skills, and don't expect to have anything handed to them. I wonder: could the difference be between those who had helicopter parents, and those who didn't? Just a shot in the dark.

The big desk/chair request is just bizarre. Can anyone here explain that? It seems to be off in fantasyland.

However, I think there are entitled and narcissistic types in every generation. An office I worked in had a case that wasn't as extreme as yours (she was Gen-X), but there were clear entitlement issues, and a lot of cynicism; she thought everything including her job (actually one requiring some skill, including knowledge of a foreign language) was dumb, and admitted to lying on her job application about having worked at Harvard and Yale. In reality, it was her first job after graduating. She took multiple leaves of absence during her 6 mo. probationary period (I have no clue as to why they were approved). I could go on. Maybe the current college and early post-college generation has a higher percentage of these types and they're more extreme, but I haven't encountered any that fit the description. The ones I know are normal people, and very nice, and bright.

One final thought: that was the generation where some parents subscribed to a new parenting model that advocated that children be raised to address parents by their first name, as equals, and be allowed to boss their parents around. I've actually seen parents scurrying around to satisfy their kids' whims and shouted commands. I wonder if some oddball parenting method like that is responsible for what you're seeing.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-25-2016 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 11:30 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,817,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Hello,

I recently had to train two separate millennials on two different occasions. I found both to border the same. If I didn't find them taking constant selfies at their desk to post on Facebook, I found them talking on topics that made the minutes DRAG. The topics they chose where all about themselves, and all inappropriate to speak at work. They both didn't take notes nor feel they needed to (when I mentioned one didn't take the proper notes she went to my boss to tell on me) .

The last one was a complete nightmare, she hit the age of 30 and had kids (a lot), but still felt the need to make awful, rude comments about her coworkers (even though she had the largest belly I have ever seen on a woman) She felt she had an entitlement even entering a new job having never worked at an office in her life. I found both brought a lot of drama within the first two months of work, and having conversation with some other people there seemed to be an agreement about not hiring millennials in the workforce.
It hit me one day when the last one stated she wanted a big desk with a large chair because she deserved it, (she had been there for three weeks and her job performance was the worst I've seen in years) what is up with this generation?!?

I get every generation gets nailed by the previous generation- but what is the current thought on this? I get not all are the same and there is an exception...but the two things I have noticed are: 1. Entitlement 2. No Conversation Skills (okay one more) 3. Narcissism

What can be done to help the generation after them?

I am not here to have an argument with anyone but really get an understanding on your thoughts (please the older generations) and your stories too in working with them.

Thank you
I will say I think you are wrong, and my you have a big ol' broad brush 'o generalizations, there Pablo (Picasso...he was a painter...nevermind...)

I'm an Xer. But even if I weren't, I'd still post, because you don't get to decide who posts or not. Ironically, you go on and on about others having a sense of entitlement.

The Millennials I know, are very selfless, hardworking, wonderful people.

Bad behavior spans multiple generations.

Are you going to make fun of my picture also, and judge my appearance, as you did another poster?

Old 11-25-2016, 11:31 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,817,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm a millennial and posting in your thread. Sue me. The fellow millennials I surround myself with are serious about their careers, serious about relationships, and serious about parenting if they decide to have kids. When one of us has a need, other millennials rush to offer what they can whether it be words, hugs, or cash. I supervise 3 millennials on my team, they are solid hard workers, yes they play on their phones but it is not like they are splitting atoms for work. My generation can hold its own and can challenge anyone who wants to talk trash about us.

*fist bumps n stuff*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology