Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:55 PM

285 posts, read 261,040 times

Advertisements

I have a horrible memory and have to memorize a spoken word thing. Thankfully I have until the end of next month, but I am someone who has to write down my schedule on a calendar, dry erase board, phone, phones calendar, and set notification reminders JUST for one thing. It gets worse with stress and I could easily forget something a day after being told it.

With that said, any tips on retaining memory because this is not just for this event but day to day life. I easily forget things and I'm not even middle aged, I'm almost 20.

A great example is that I got a ticket a few months ago for driving with expired tabs. The messed up part was I was saving the money to get them on Monday, it was a Saturday when I got the ticket, and literally forgot that I told myself to NOT go driving on Friday after getting a warning. I told myself that I will only be driving to the DMV on Monday but no driiving on the weekend and forgot the next day as I was coming home from Wal-Mart. I then forgot again on Sunday but thankfully remembered when I was at a red light and reaching for my lotion, I found the ticket and drove back home. Then forgot AGAIN on Monday until I got to work at the ladies at the front desk asked me if I got my tabs yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 07:20 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,764,372 times
Memorizing a speech pales in comparison to not being able to remember to stay off the road with expired plates.

You need to be checked out medically if you're memory is this bad. MY memory is that bad, and that qualified me for full disability.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:45 PM

102,075 posts, read 107,068,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Memorizing a speech pales in comparison to not being able to remember to stay off the road with expired plates.

You need to be checked out medically if you're memory is this bad. MY memory is that bad, and that qualified me for full disability.
This is what I was thinking. Memory can be a function of hormone imbalance or insufficiency, and there may be other conditions it's a symptom of, too. Talk to your doctor, OP. When was the last time you had a checkup?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what I was thinking. Memory can be a function of hormone imbalance or insufficiency, and there may be other conditions it's a symptom of, too. Talk to your doctor, OP. When was the last time you had a checkup?
That's a good question...
Life without good life insurance is a *****, I tell you. I was also told to get checked out about my meat digesting problem but walking to SEE a doctor is expensive and I'm a broke one.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
That's a good question...
Life without good life insurance is a *****, I tell you. I was also told to get checked out about my meat digesting problem but walking to SEE a doctor is expensive and I'm a broke one.
It sounds like you really do need to get evaluated by a doc. Do you not have health insurance? If not, why not? (It's subsidized for people who can't afford to pay full fare.)

Old 12-10-2016, 11:05 AM

I have state insurance but it doesn't cover things like that and I really have a lot of bills to pay.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
I have state insurance but it doesn't cover things like that and I really have a lot of bills to pay.
Things like what, a blood work-up? A primary care doc appointment for digestive issues and abnormal/severe memory problems? Are you a state employee, or are you in a state high-risk insurance pool?

Old 12-10-2016, 11:58 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,138,905 times
To answer the OP's main question.... I used to memorize while walking. The movement and the study seemed to make it meld. I also connect things to other things. Like -- the date date the Magna Carta was signed....June 15, 1215. 6-15, 12- 15. Salem witch trials - 1692, same year as the Glencoe massacre....

Grouping things like that help me remember.

Also reduce down your speech to note cards. Main points. Single words. Keep going over it and over it, till you're sick of it, and then do it some more...

Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Things like what, a blood work-up? A primary care doc appointment for digestive issues and abnormal/severe memory problems? Are you a state employee, or are you in a state high-risk insurance pool?
Specialty care like that, it doesn't cover.

I have to read up more on it to see but to my understanding, it shouldn't even cover my medication but we worded it as a medical necessity, which it is tbh, so it was let through.

Won't even cover physical therapy if you need it, barely covers my glasses too. As far as I know, unless I am referred to by a doctor, it won't cover me going to see someone about that type of stuff and I simply don't have the funds to go in myself.

My last followup appointment, out here, cost $150 just to see a doctor for 20mins and tell me I'm okay. No medication prescribed, no follow-ups after that, no shots, nothing. Just checking me and telling me I'm good and that was $150.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:09 PM

Okay so digging in more I've found they MIGHT cover it, but it's gonna be a ***** to do so. This'll be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology