Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:31 PM

12 posts, read 11,220 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest where to rent a house that is commuting distance on weekends from Scottsdale for my husband ? We are looking for much cooler weather and a country club community so that we may make friends and meet people. I was told that Sedona is still very hot. There is nothing to do in Show Low and Flagstaff might be a possibility. Cali is just tooo far a commute on weekends.
Thank you in advance !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:44 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Flagstaff. I don't see any other options. Flag will still be hot in the summers, but nowhere near as hot as Scottsdale. Be aware that it can get a good deal of snow in the winters. Driving can be dicey; there can be snowstorms. If you two do choose that location, he should watch weather reports in the winter, and have an alternative place to stay the night in Scottsdale, if it's not safe to drive home. This probably won't happen frequently, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:54 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,549,292 times
Mermaid03,

I spplaud you for taking a chance. I was wondering if you moved there for your husbsnd's career. He sounds like he is very supportive. I am glad for both of you.

I also made a move that worked out less than great. In 2009 I moved to TN to go to grad,school. While considering the move from WI, people said you can always move back. Oh, should have added IF you have the money!

I was in NE TN and it was lovely. But it was not home. School didn't work out. I couldn't find a job. I slowly went broke.

I lasted six yrs. Loooong six years! I thought I was never leaving. I finally applied and worked at a call center. Oye vey! I worked for eight months before I couldn't take it. I made plans to move back. Although I saved all I could, I didn't have a lot of money and certainly didn't have $ for a needed car repair. The car would losd power and die, than start up again. I feared it would not make it! I took an extra month to leave because I was afraid of the breakdown. I finally left.

It did break down when in Lexington KY but as it had been, it did re-start. I sat in a parking lot of a gas station wondering if I I should take it to the mechanic the cashier had recommended (And use up my cash??). The fear was great but I decided to press on. I rationalized, what did it matter if it died 50 miles up the road?

After a few more breakdowns, start ups and a couple of stops by cops... (oh, those are stories for another time!) I made it!

What I learned after arriving back in WI was that the fear was greater on the sidelines contemplating than when taking action and doing something. Even if a decision doesn't help or work, you are in a different place physically and/ or mentally. A change can point you in a different direction.

Sounds like that is happening for you with your plans. Reaching out here is great. Researching your options is smart! You'll find your new path as I am.

I wish you well in your endeavors. Sounds like you are on your way! Best wishes!

Last edited by Wild Flower; 01-29-2017 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid03 View Post
Can anyone suggest where to rent a house that is commuting distance on weekends from Scottsdale for my husband ? We are looking for much cooler weather and a country club community so that we may make friends and meet people. I was told that Sedona is still very hot. There is nothing to do in Show Low and Flagstaff might be a possibility. Cali is just tooo far a commute on weekends.
Thank you in advance !!
Had to laugh about your comment about nothing to do in Show Low. I spent a year there one day. Watch the trees grow? Stand there a real long time to see the seasons change? Pretty area though, particularly up on the Mogollon Rim, but nothing to do there either except commune with nature.

I can understand your feelings about Flagstaff. I have a presence in Mesa although I hail from L.A. To be truthful I don't see a lot of difference between Phoenix and L.A. except the weather. Lower cost of living in Phoenix, higher temperatures, some summer nights low temperature 100 degrees. Not for me.

Sedona is pretty, much cooler in the summer than Phoenix but you know that. You might have a look at Prescott. Too small for me but you may like it. Definitely more moderate weather than either Phoenix or Flagstaff. Flagstaff has very cold winters but if you had dual houses in Flag and PHX you could just commute to your preferred climate. But not daily.

I temporarily moved to Santa Fe NM for about 5 months and had similar feelings to what you are expressing, perhaps for different reasons, but same outcome. Except I was able to return to L.A. where I'm happy today.

I think it's unfair to blame your counseling. That is not their job to help you decide where to live. A counselor's job is to help you understand yourself and your problems well enough to lead a happy life and make good decisions through self knowledge. A counselor does not teach you things. You work with your counselor to help you understand yourself. If you think your counselor is to blame for moving to Flagstaff then you learned the wrong information. You don't understand yourself at all if you don't understand why you aren't happy.

I learned myself why I wasn't happy in Santa Fe. I came from a big city with all the big city problems and big city benefits. My problem with L.A. was looking at only the negatives, totally ignoring the positives (climate, shopping, comfort in totally knowing the entire city, the friends I left behind...). Los Angeles has a bazillion people, Santa Fe maybe 80,000 depending on how much of the general area you include. Big city, small city. I couldn't handle the small city. My problem, not theirs. Solved by moving back home. Sorry you don't have the option.

If I understand your situation I think you should enjoy your time in Flagstaff and find an alternate city for a second home, not necessarily in Arizona. But this will not work for you except as seasonal commuting or at best weekend commuting. Later when both you and your spouse are retired seasonal commuting should work really well for you. Plenty of people do it, winter in Phoenix, summer in some place cooler. Travel and find other areas that appeal to you. Eventually you will find a place that makes you happy during the winter when Scottsdale is too hot, then fly or drive back to Flagstaff with the rest of the snowbirds.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,105 times
I'm 67 and relocating in 2 years to Scottsdale from Ohio...alone. Divorce left me kinda broke but we all have to make the best of any situation. Blaming your therapist isn't going to help....they mostly give advice!! Have you thought about getting a "job" to help with the financial burdens and for the depression? Getting out of the house might help!!

Most of your issues sound "self inflicted....as a previous person said, stop passing blame and move on!! It's difficult but can be done with a bit of work!!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology