Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:09 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times

Advertisements

I don't want kids
I don't want debt
I don't want new cars
I don't want a job with too much responsibilities.
I don't want the Iphone 7 ( Iphone 5 will do!)
I don't want an expensive ass house

Im actually okay with used cars ( as long as it works)
Im okay with not having kids They are cute but I don't want them seems like too much stress all the time
I only want easy office jobs where you clock in do your thing go home which I have.

Im okay with living in just an apartment for now and the only long term goal I want is just to retire on a low cost of living area in a condo.

Im okay with just getting married and sharing with my wife my life thats it.
I want to enjoy life( on occasions travel around the world, visit more areas in california, play a sports together swim together, watch christmas movies for christmas, decorate our tree, go to the zoo lights once every christmas, etc) with my wife/girlfriend.
Spend money on some vacation dinner dates my personal hobbies etc

Forget the house

Are adults just generally expect to be stressed all the time and just work so damn hard all the time?

I want only a low stress mediocre simple lifestyle.

Does any one feel the same way? Or is it just me

Why do I feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 04:03 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I don't want kids
I don't want debt
I don't want new cars

I want to enjoy life( on occasions travel, decorate our tree,

Are adults just generally expect to be stressed all the time and just work so damn hard all the time?

Why do I feel this way?
That's just what I want too (except for me it's with my husband and I still have one of those flip phones--that's enough for me!). I don't see anything wrong with wanting the simple things and to not be that stressed; suppose some people thrive on that kind of environment, but I think it's perfectly normal to not want that kind of stuff in your life.

Perhaps some people just get caught up in that stuff and not realize they're going that way until it's too late; maybe wanting things out of their means (understand, since some expensive things are nice to have). But I think it's great when you're happy with what you have and you're not killing yourself to maintain it.

Maybe you feel that way because you somehow realize it's not worth all the trouble, that those things aren't going to make you that much happier anyway? For instance, I'm certain most people in my income range wouldn't have a mobile home for their house. For me, it's just fine especially for now. I'm thrilled to be able to save that extra money I would have had to spend for a larger mortgage (either for a larger home or land to put the trailer on--but later, when I can more easily afford it--or just some extra to have on hand for traveling or to spend on hobbies). Seems that it's about realizing what your limits are and being able to not overextend yourself.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
I don't want kids
I don't want debt
I don't want new cars

Im okay with not having kids They are cute but I don't want them seems like too much stress all the time
I only want easy office jobs where you clock in do your thing go home which I have.

Im okay with living in just an apartment for now and the only long term goal I want is just to retire on a low cost of living area in a condo.

I want to enjoy life( on occasions travel around the world, visit more areas in california, play a sports together swim together, watch christmas movies for christmas, decorate our tree, go to the zoo lights once every christmas, etc) with my wife/girlfriend.

Forget the house

Why do I feel this way?

You sound smart to me I also want and have a simple but very good life. I don't "get" the material things that make people work like dogs to own. I have family in NY and they work and work and work just to support their "things". They are like hamsters spinning on a wheel and that to me is no way to live.

In my experience I find the country way of living to be more like what you are talking about. The people are real and they are not concerned with status or things. They are in no hurry and it's a nice change. Maybe that is what you need…but jobs can be hard to come by.

Live your life and be happy. That is what it is about. Save what you make so you can be debt free…that is a great feeling. A simple life can be a great life…but you will not get out of working and sometimes working hard

How old are you? Where do you live? I have been traveling around in an RV for the past few months and I have seen many people living in RV parks. It's not a bad deal at all if it is by "choice" You buy a travel trailer and park it in a park. The rent is anywhere from 300-500 a month and you get all the amenities and activities of the park. When you get tired of it or you want to move on you still own the trailer for travel I may do that for retirement. It's a great deal and better than an apartment because you actually own your home and you can sell it when you are done or use it to travel.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:44 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Is your girlfriend ok with all this? Because that could cause more stress that all the other things.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
What's the problem ? It's your life.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Is your girlfriend ok with all this? Because that could cause more stress that all the other things.

And if she is not then maybe she is not the right girl.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:28 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
A simple life does not translate into a "mediocre" life. It translates into a simple life. Which can be a tranquil and beautiful life.

The Buddhists explore Nirvana which can be interpreted as "The end of desire." Once we end our desires for ever more and bigger and faster and newer, we start reaching that wonderful (elusive for many) of "bliss."

You'll find simplicity is a nice philosophy to embrace I know it is for me...very content am I!

Old 12-10-2016, 07:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think it's totally fine and totally great.

But I think you'd do better in Europe. Stress-wise. You'd have your basics covered, and since you don't care to excel, you wouldn't find the environment oppressive or confining.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
I don't want kids
I don't want debt
I don't want new cars

Forget the house

Why do I feel this way?
Maybe unlike most of the US you are above the lifestyle of materialism and keeping up with the Joneses. Maybe unlike most of the US you are self-aware that you would not make a great parent and would spare potential children heartbreak. I think it is wise that you've taken a look at the rat race and pressures to have a family and realized you ain't about that life, too bad most of America is too stupid to objectively look at all this.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:54 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
I don't want kids
I don't want debt
I don't want new cars

Forget the house

Why do I feel this way?
Damn ... You pretty much just posted my lifestyle and feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology