Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 PM

50,339 posts, read 35,989,770 times

Advertisements

I don't think you understand how it works. In order to get people to back your movies, you have to have something to show them you're a filmmaker. That isn't done starting out with some movie where you have to fly, etc....filmakers start in their own bedrooms as kids, making movies from spiders and pretend with their friends and whatever else is in their world. You start out with a SHORT that you can film without money and flying to other cities, etc.

I don't think wanting to make films is crazy, but I don't think you really understand how it works. Ever watch the Goldberg's? See the end, where they show the movies the kid made when young, that is now the show?

You don't get someone to believe in you so that you can make a movie, you make a movie and the quality of that causes them to believe in you, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 03:41 PM

29,672 posts, read 34,190,182 times
Did anyone else see the documentary American Movie 15ish years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFZOu8rDUQ

That's totally what I'm picturing here.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically I decided I want to become one and am using a lot of my savings to make the movie. But I got some negative reactions, as well as mixed reactions from people, a couple of them positive as well.

I posted it about it before, in this previous thread, with a couple of negative reactions, near the bottom of the thread:

How Can I Get Over A Shameful Past And Forgive Myself?

But I was wondering, am I crazy for wanting to do it and follow my dreams?
One of my friends is doing this now. He quit his full time gig and is working part time as a contractor. He moved in with his parents to save money. And he is working on his screenplay.

1. Have a backup plan
2. Be realistic (how will you get your movie produced and distributed - work that out now.)
3. Don't forget the odds are a long shot

This doesn't mean it can't happen, but don't assume you'll be the next Spielberg.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:56 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,075,271 times
make short clips/videos put em on youtube..... for the world to see

if they are really good someone will notice..

Old 12-19-2016, 05:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One of my friends is doing this now. He quit his full time gig and is working part time as a contractor. He moved in with his parents to save money. And he is working on his screenplay.

1. Have a backup plan
2. Be realistic (how will you get your movie produced and distributed - work that out now.)
3. Don't forget the odds are a long shot

This doesn't mean it can't happen, but don't assume you'll be the next Spielberg.
I should note, my friend has a family friend that is a producer that is serving as his mentor. So basically he is connected and that makes it way easier.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:35 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,905,942 times
Quote:
Basically I decided I want to become one and am using a lot of my savings to make the movie. But I got some negative reactions, as well as mixed reactions from people, a couple of them positive as well.

I posted it about it before, in this previous thread, with a couple of negative reactions, near the bottom of the thread:

How Can I Get Over A Shameful Past And Forgive Myself?

But I was wondering, am I crazy for wanting to do it and follow my dreams?
As long as you're prepared for the worst, then I'd say go for it. Lots of people don't follow their dreams because they're scared of the risk. There's lots of film-makers out there who don't make it. Unless you're independently wealthy, then prepared to possibly (I think most people would say probably) not have that much your whole life (and probably not have a family, or at least shouldn't, not if you'd want to provide a good, comfortable life for them).

It definitely doesn't make you crazy for wanting to follow your dreams. You know of course there are the film-makers who are able to make a living off just that, and they had to follow their dreams (though maybe some people might call them crazy, I don't know). It just depends on what you're willing to risk.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:44 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,797,137 times
Quote:
Well the past five years about, I have been looking for people in my area, who are interested in making short films, but have hardly had any luck so far. I have helped people make their movies as a boom op mostly, but so far, that's the only experience I have had on a set.

People in the industry have told me that film school degrees are not taken seriously, since anyone can get one, and that professionals are only interested in the movies you have made, and not what degrees you have.

I am finishing off a script right now, that I want to make, if people like it, but it will probably get really mixed responses, which means I would have to make it anyway, on having faith that it's good.

I feel rushed and pressured, though, cause the script I have, has characters that are certain ages, and if I, plus another actor I know, do it, we will have to do it soon, before we get too old, and he is already pushing 60, which would be too old for this character.

I also would have to shoot it in a city that has more people to work with, who know their filmmaking stuff, which means flying to another city. I can't go to a different city to learn filmmaking, cause then all my money will be burned up on learning, with none left to make a movie, since that's what I have to do do get in.

So because of the money limitations, and the limitations of the actor's and my age, I feel that it's all or nothing, going in, and I have to make some unavoidable sacrifices perhaps. What do you think?
I work in the industry so I have some insight. My suggestion is that if you have a great idea and you are a writer then go ahead and write the script. Then enter it into some well respected competitions and if you really think it's good then pay to post it on the Blacklist. At that point you'll get enough feedback from strangers that do it for a living to know if you actually have something good or not. In the meantime, go ahead and make a short 5-10 minute version of what you have in mind Don't worry about one particular actor. That is crazy talk to think that one actor in whatever town you live in is going to make or break things. I've worked on a lot of independent and no budget movies and shorts and unless this actor has actually done professional movie or TV work then he isn't a irreplaceable asset. Just make the best short you can out of your idea that you can use to try to sell your idea to a studio or investors. Basically, if you have to spend your own money making a movie then your idea is probably not good and you'll probably just lose all of your money. If you have a good idea, someone else will be willing to invest in it.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:46 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,797,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Did anyone else see the documentary American Movie 15ish years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFZOu8rDUQ

That's totally what I'm picturing here.
That was my first thought too. A horrible failed movie but at least they salvaged it with a great cult classic documentary

Old 12-20-2016, 01:36 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,047,992 times
Okay thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I work in the industry so I have some insight. My suggestion is that if you have a great idea and you are a writer then go ahead and write the script. Then enter it into some well respected competitions and if you really think it's good then pay to post it on the Blacklist. At that point you'll get enough feedback from strangers that do it for a living to know if you actually have something good or not. In the meantime, go ahead and make a short 5-10 minute version of what you have in mind Don't worry about one particular actor. That is crazy talk to think that one actor in whatever town you live in is going to make or break things. I've worked on a lot of independent and no budget movies and shorts and unless this actor has actually done professional movie or TV work then he isn't a irreplaceable asset. Just make the best short you can out of your idea that you can use to try to sell your idea to a studio or investors. Basically, if you have to spend your own money making a movie then your idea is probably not good and you'll probably just lose all of your money. If you have a good idea, someone else will be willing to invest in it.
Well it's just good actors are hard to find. I did shoot one short film so far, and very few actors showed up at the audition. The ones that did do it were good, and one of them said he wanted to do it again. And he is really good. The short film didn't turn out as well as I wanted, mostly cause of money and not having a crew. I didn't have anyone to record sound as I directed and did other duties, so I had to do ADR in post production for most of it for example.

But for making a feature, I would definitely be willing to go to a city with more people in the business, that could do a better job on making it.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:22 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,657,464 times
No go for it, but also have other plans in case. Follow your dream, I don't get why people would put you down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology