Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 AM

36 posts, read 27,069 times

Advertisements

There are those who age "gracefully" as mother used to say, and those who don't.
She also said "Your life shows on your face" EEGAD! I hope that one's wrong.
I just prayed to look good for my age ... and I think I do, thanks to L'Oreal and capped front teeth.
It' my hands that bother me. The skin is thinner and the veins are more pronounced ... but, I'm
70 years old and that's a blessing in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 09:29 AM

516 posts, read 429,417 times
I get very sad when I see my 80 year old grandfather unable to move the way he did when I was a child. I'm 30 years old now so of course he was 50 when I was born.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:33 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'm only 30, but it's starting to hit me a bit.

I still have 3/4 of my grandparents alive, but they are in their 80s now. One grandmother is showing signs of dementia, and all of them are noticeably frailer than they were a decade ago at 70. Most of my great aunts and uncles are dead - ten years ago, most were alive.

My parents will be 60 next year - mother is not in the best of health herself. Logically, I know most of our time together is probably behind us - they'd live to 90 if they are currently at the "halfway point." Neither are retired and they don't have the money to do so.

Dad started taking me to the gym when I was 14 and he was 43. If he continues going to the gym for 16 more years, that makes him 75. That's kind of unlikely in my opinion.

I sometimes have to realize I'm not a kid fresh out of college or high school anymore. I still feel young and get told I don't like 30, but many of my peers have kids that in elementary or middle school. It's hard to see myself as the age where I'm potentially the parent of a middle schooler

Old 12-28-2016, 09:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
I mean, as a parent, it can be just a tad unsettling to suddenly realize your kid has an adult body.

One day you look down and your son has srsly hairy legs! When did THAT happen?

One day you look up and your son has thinning hair. OMG! When did THAT happen??

He's getting older and I'm getting older too.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
It shocked me when I put my arm through the sleeve of a shirt, and I saw my moms hand. Now I look in the mirror and see her face.

I need to ask my sons how they feel being in their 40's. That's how old I was when they teased me about being old. I bet their tune has changed.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:15 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
How do I cope? I usually point and laugh at their wrinkles and thinning hair! And ask what stagecoaches were like!

Seriously, though, none of us will live forever. Aging and dying are part of life. People are born, people die. Some sooner than later. Enjoy the time you have with them. The belief that those who are gone from us are in a better place helps, too.
I bought 5 of the same birthday card once because I liked it so much I wanted to send it to more than one person...it had a photo of dinosaurs on the front, with one saying "Remember Me?" and inside it said "I sat behind you in homeroom".

I figure as long as the person is in my age range and not much older (except for my brother, I don't have to be as nice to him) I can send it.

What gets me is the aisle in Party City for 40 and older birthday celebrations...every other aisle is full of bright, vivid colors and fun celebratory things, then you get to that aisle and everything is black and about death, with the Grim Reaper replacing Anna and Elsa as the party mascot.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Some comedian, can't remember who, always got good laughs with this one.....

"Elderly aunts, they always used to torment me at weddings, coming up with their hugs and big sloppy kisses saying "you're next, you're next". They finally stopped when I started to do the same to them at funerals."

Back to the topic, for some reason the changes don't seem to really grab a hold of me. What's left of the third generation core family has pretty much aged together quite well so I guess I'm used to it. What does surprise me though is how fast the young ones grow up.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:01 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
It's sad to see people you love start their decline...but like other posters have said what is the alternative? Besides the hearing loss,sight loss and loss of balance I have noticed my 82.yr old mother dwells in the past...about happy,sad and bitter memories...she is not exactly a laugh riot to be around...unlike her older sister who is much more fun to be around...

Old 12-28-2016, 04:04 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
This is my follow-up to a very successful Fashion thread, although the preoccupation many years back to when I first heard a Bonnie Raitt song.
Spoiler
I see my folks, they're getting old
And I watch their bodies change
I know they see the same in me
And it makes us both feel strange
(from "Nick of Time")

I've never seen a discussion much like it and I figured now is the time, due to people seeing more relatives around the holidays. I've specified blood relatives because others add complexity, and if you're married to a blood relative, we don't want to know. So, it can be adult children, parents, siblings (including half-siblings), cousins.....
This may seem more weird these days, where the younger generations live away from family, whereas in older times, several generations would live near each other and see each other regularly. It was normal for older generations to age and die, and then the next one, and then the next one.

It doesn't make me upset. It's what happens, if you live long enough. When you knew someone when they were younger, you still can see the younger version within the person...the eyes, the attitude, the body movements, personality.

It's more concerning the illnesses that hit when one gets older. I hate to see that, since I can't do anything about it, and it's a reminder that that will be happening to me, as my body falls apart.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Seeing blood relatives age makes me sad at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology