Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 AM

283 posts, read 326,122 times

Advertisements

Growing up I had a friend with the last name "Cash" and things always seemed to go his way. He always seemed to get the breaks

I had another friend who's last name is known for being a part of a certain genders genitalia and things also seemed to go wrong for him

My last name is presidential but my first name is awful and things seemed to go wrong for me as well

If you look at sports, the most notable athletes tend to have first or last names that have some lore to it

NFL - Manning, Brady, Favre, Wilson, Luck
NBA - Lebron, Kobe, Jordan, Duncan
MLB - Jeter, Ortiz, Lindor, Babe

Most of our presidents do as well

Trump, Bush, Washington, Carter

Do our names have an impact on how others treat/perceive us and our own personal confidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 08:20 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,063,284 times
https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/1...z3y#.uugXXEPLG

Old 12-30-2016, 10:49 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
I like my first name a lot. My maiden name is German so it sounds like someone hacking up a lung when they say it. If they say it right which is hardly ever.

I was glad to trade it in for my husband's name, which is - or should be - easy to pronounce and spell. It's not a common last name but it's at least phonetic and pleasant sounding. Ironically, it's the name of a country - but it's not FROM that country at all. Isn't that weird? It's actually an Irish (Gaellic) last name but you'd never know it, because apparently when the Irish ancestor moved to America, the spelling was changed and it ended up being spelled like the name of another country entirely.

But I like it because it brings to mind a sort of exotic traveling destination and my first name is melodic and very pleasant sounding so overall I like the effect a lot. MUCH better than the German maiden name!

I told my parents "Change your surname if you don't like it - it's not like no one has ever done that before." My dad actually did change the PRONUNCIATION of it but not the actual spelling, which I would definitely have done if I'd been stuck with it for life.

Life is too short to be stuck with a bad name. It only costs about $300 to change one's name and believe me, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had a bad first or last name.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:32 AM

11,022 posts, read 6,564,832 times
I wonder this sometimes. My sister and I were both subjected to "I have a dog with that name!"

Our names are Germanic too, not melodic at all. Though we are not German.

I'm sure that's why actors change their names....to sound more successful. I think names have a great deal to do with success. I'd sure change mine if I had a negative one. It's curious why people would go through life saddled with an awful name.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,359,684 times
My name hasn't ever affected my confidence. I do have a friend with a name that has stereotypical connotations that she feels prevents her from being taken seriously in professional settings (not the name or field, but picture being a corporate attorney named Barbie. Along those lines). I've never had that particular issue.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:08 AM

636 posts, read 390,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
NBA - ...Duncan
Obviously he was going to be a successful basketball player.

However, Homer Bush didn't have a very successful baseball career.
But, Bob Walk wasn't a terrible pitcher
And Josh Outman didn't win a Cy Young award
But, neither did Matt Young. Anthony Young had a 3-30 W/L record over a 2 year span
The Only Nolan (The Only Nolan Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com) was upstaged by Nolan Ryan.
Even Oil Can Boyd eventually got creaky.

I certainly think it's possible for our names to have some impact on us, but I think you might be oversimplifying things a bit.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,255,336 times
Dick Butkus grew up in the south side of Chicago to one of the best middle linebackers in history. He certainly did not let his name get in his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology