Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:38 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,304,506 times

Advertisements

The OP said that they asked the same question over and over with increasing levels of intensity. This is the key to the test. Most personality asset tests don't use your answers to any one question but score the test on repeatable answers of the same type for their consistency. The more those questions are answered the same way is a solid indication of your honesty on the test. If you had scored high on the repeatable type questions then they look at how you answered them and decide if you are what they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,828,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand why psych tests are part of the hiring process for routine jobs like sales and cashiering. I've never heard of that. Honestly, after a couple of bad experiences with some wiggy cashiers, I've started to think that some kind of psychological evaluation should occur, but usually an experienced HR person can discern problems during the interview; that's been my observation. Maybe a lot of HR people aren't that sharp, or don't have enough experience, or don't really care, IDK.
Well, they're not all really PSYCH tests but there are personality tests.

Home Depot example:

https://www.jobtestprep.com/home-depot-assessment-test

Now, in sales jobs it's very important that you meet the profile for being a SALESperson personality. Not a cashier type.

It's the single most important part of the multipart testing series at the phone companies. And the role play. Overcoming objections and closing is key.

For example: They ask many questions many different ways scattered all over the testing:

1. Would your friends say you're persistent when you want something?
2. Would your co-workers say you're one of the most driven employees they work with?
3. What would you rank yourself in your current job?

ETC. The point is you're supposed to say you're the best number one salespersonever to walk the face of the earth; bar none.

They invest ALOT Of money in training - they hire about 15 for a class and they're luck if 5 graduate and 3 make it past probation.

And as it turns out, the strongest new hires in the phone company are ex car salesmen!

Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,828,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Admittedly, I'm not exactly heartbroken by this event, but I'd like some input from people who might know more.

I'm 67 years of age, semi-retired, but trying to keep active. I hold a seasonal job at a theme park which will probably last as long as my health holds out, but I'd like more of a challenge.

So I put in an application with a local grocery chain; the app included a pretty good-sized psychological profiling, most of which revolved around issues of honesty, but also whether you would report dishonesty by a fellow employee -- and I would, but the same situation is repeated for each scenario, with several levels of complicity.

When my prospective supervisor got the results back, I was told that, although I'd personally made a good impression, the tests characterized me as "not recommended for hiring" -- but I was invited to repeat them after sixty days.

I will readily admit to a strong sense of personal autonomy and integrity -- which includes a belief that I, (and anybody else) are entitled to our own opinions -- I always follow orders, but a close observer with a strong psych background would likely recognize that I don't like being micro-managed, and don't like working for somebody who inflicts his/her personal hang-ups upon his/her subordinates. And many years ago, when I went through some fairly heavy evaluations in regard to a college scholarship, my personality was characterized as "an unusual combination of both dominant and submissive traits".

So I'm wondering if anyone could provide an insight as to what might have happened here. Sooner or later, when I'm not too busy, I'll probably have a chance to re-take the tests, and if I do, will probably try to characterize myself as a bit more obedient than the "real" me -- just to see what happens; any thoughts are welcome.
Sounds like you already KNOW since you reference the "real me".

Most likely you were too cute by half and showed inconsistencies in your answers. Those tests are excellent at figuring you out.

Also, you don't get to have autonomy at the grocery store job. You must do things THEIR WAY and there is NO GREY AREA whatsoever. It's a science not up for discussion. They have very little margin and no room for people coming in there with attitudes. Publix, for example is EXCELLENT with "the customer is always right" and the employees almost to 99% carry out that philosophy AND the store is "employee owned". That being said there are plenty of store managers with sketchy practices and you run into them. Not at Publix, AFAIK but where I worked, for sure. LIke giving a clerk a split shift in order to avoid paying her break. So she'd have to work 7-10 then 11-2.

Pretty much that entire red part disqualifies you.

What do you mean you don't like to be micromanaged? LOL seriously? Dealing with the drawer, people's money, store money, FOOD, and customers is no joke. So YEAH, you will be micromanaged. As it SHOULD be.

As someone who worked at a large grocery chain, I don't think you would like it AT ALL. You would most likely feel insulted by customer, coworkers, management daily. And full of "observations" about ~inequities, indignities, better ways to do things (LOL), challenges etc.

What was the job? Bagger? Even baggers have to do things a certain way even if you're not thrilled about it.

At my store, the local work-release prisoners did the stock overnight and while it was fun working with them and they LOVED getting to come work every night, and worked HARD (especially throwing the dog food and water because it was a great workout) - the reasons the ones who got in trouble there got in trouble - were easy to see. Poor judgement. NO matter how much I lectured, coached and tried to protect them from themselves they still screwed up.

I learned ALOT in that little job, even though it was temporary and overnight.

And YES, loss prevention is a HUGE problem. I caught several people stealing and the manager overnight got sick of ME identifying it. TWO people with 12 years service ended up getting fired because it was either THEM or ME. So it was gonna be THEM, NOT ME.

There is ZERO level of "not really stealing" The RULES are crystal clear. So the fact that you think there are "levels of complicity" says you're not a good match.

If you didn't bring it in with you, you don't TOUCH it. That includes newspapers in the trash can, broken bags of candy, smashed donuts on the floor. Every single drop of food that is "trash" has to be journalized and accounted for. You also NEVER buy something and "take it to the back". It has to go to your car. Unless it's your lunch that your'e sitting eating in a designated spot.

And there is NO creative pricing whatsoever. This means you don't take a pepper and decide to put it on SALE, label it in the seafood dept then try and tell the cashier there's a sale nobody heard about, insist she ring it up then take it over to the bakery to stash it with your bakery girlfriend. (which is what the fired employee tried to tell ME LMFAO)

I grabbed the overnight manager and said "Joe in Produce just stole red peppers on my belt". He goes: "WHAT? DON'T TELL ME THAT! I DON'T NEED THAT!" LOL I go, "Dude, you're not firing ME because that smarmy idiot and his girlfriend in bakery decided to steal peppers tonight; I'm on a camera, remember? And the stupid ass WEIGHED his own peppers and labeled them for .29 a lb. which AS YOU KNOW is B.S. ". "And not only HIM but his little booty call in the bakery dept has the peppers because they have a date tonight and she's making him peppers and sausage after work." LOL

It was a huge deal, too. I gave that guy about six chances to take the peppers and NOT make me ring them up. I go "Dude, you don't REALLY want me to ring these up with a friggin seafood label do you?" He goes: "They'er on SALE - want me to get you some?". Then he tried "They're damaged". (they weren't)

They also worked me off the clock, and HR said "They'll only cut your hours when you threaten to go to the NLRB." And that's exactly what happened but I was ready to quit by then anyway.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-30-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 PM

12,663 posts, read 8,891,575 times
Quote:
Admittedly, I'm not exactly heartbroken by this event, but I'd like some input from people who might know more.

I'm 67 years of age, semi-retired, but trying to keep active. I hold a seasonal job at a theme park which will probably last as long as my health holds out, but I'd like more of a challenge.

So I put in an application with a local grocery chain; the app included a pretty good-sized psychological profiling, most of which revolved around issues of honesty, but also whether you would report dishonesty by a fellow employee -- and I would, but the same situation is repeated for each scenario, with several levels of complicity.

When my prospective supervisor got the results back, I was told that, although I'd personally made a good impression, the tests characterized me as "not recommended for hiring" -- but I was invited to repeat them after sixty days.

I will readily admit to a strong sense of personal autonomy and integrity -- which includes a belief that I, (and anybody else) are entitled to our own opinions -- I always follow orders, but a close observer with a strong psych background would likely recognize that I don't like being micro-managed, and don't like working for somebody who inflicts his/her personal hang-ups upon his/her subordinates. And many years ago, when I went through some fairly heavy evaluations in regard to a college scholarship, my personality was characterized as "an unusual combination of both dominant and submissive traits".

So I'm wondering if anyone could provide an insight as to what might have happened here. Sooner or later, when I'm not too busy, I'll probably have a chance to re-take the tests, and if I do, will probably try to characterize myself as a bit more obedient than the "real" me -- just to see what happens; any thoughts are welcome.
Basically you're too mature and motivated for the job. You've been around the block enough times to know when the manager is full of something. They don't want someone who thinks; they want biological robots.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:21 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,273,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Sounds like you already KNOW since you reference the "real me".

Most likely you were too cute by half and showed inconsistencies in your answers. Those tests are excellent at figuring you out.
Thanks! -- I suspected as much, but wanted it confirmed.

Quote:
Pretty much that entire red part disqualifies you.
I will readily admit to a strong sense of personal autonomy and integrity -- which includes a belief that I, (and anybody else) are entitled to our own opinions -- I always follow orders, but a close observer with a strong psych background would likely recognize that I don't like being micro-managed, and don't like working for somebody who inflicts his/her personal hang-ups upon his/her subordinates.

Quote:
Also, you don't get to have autonomy at the grocery store job. You must do things THEIR WAY and there is NO GREY AREA whatsoever. It's a science not up for discussion. They have very little margin and no room for people coming in there with attitudes.

What do you mean you don't like to be micromanaged? LOL seriously? Dealing with the drawer, people's money, store money, FOOD, and customers is no joke.
There was a time -- not that long ago -- when responsible employees were recognized as capable of micro-managing themselves. Unfortunately, technology has elevated a not-very-conscientious few to positions of authority where they get a perverse satisfaction from the over-use of power. If an attempt is made to indulge every silly quirk and hang-up of that charming entity called "the public", the end result is a caricature of stupidity personified. And not everyone has the stomach, and tolerance for hypocrasy to subscribe to this ethic.

Eventually, the stupidity accumulates to a point where someone is made to look a fool, or maybe used as a scapegoat. In most instances, that's all, but occasionally the consequences are somewhat greater.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-30-2016 at 10:10 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 11:57 PM

13,269 posts, read 8,371,223 times
OP- you are wise enough to "thine own self be true". No test can "mark" or categorize in such a way to determine your ethics.

But then most places "expect" you to be honest while the reality is, these test are more to see what a good liar someone can be.

funniest psyche test I took was administered by the post office. Those questions were so all over the place, one minute emphasizing "getting along with others" and then saying basically how good are you at minding your own business without caring that your co worker just bleed all over the place. Blinders are key!

I married a psychologist, learned much from his thesis and many study groups. Somethings are anomalies, and these career tests/mind test are one of them. I often think if the president of these companies had to take them, I bet they'd fail with flying colors.

I refuse to take them.best judge of character is the one sitting beside you discussing life habits.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,124,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand why psych tests are part of the hiring process for routine jobs like sales and cashiering. I've never heard of that. Honestly, after a couple of bad experiences with some wiggy cashiers, I've started to think that some kind of psychological evaluation should occur, but usually an experienced HR person can discern problems during the interview; that's been my observation. Maybe a lot of HR people aren't that sharp, or don't have enough experience, or don't really care, IDK.
I think these psych tests as part of the hiring process came about in the age of "going postal" back in the day.

I think the tests take out the "personal" that a simple judgement of an HR person might lend to the lawsuit happy people.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,905,942 times
Quote:

By the grace of God, I've always--to my knowledge--been able to pass those things with flying colors and I think it's because I know what they want to hear. Who I am in private and who I am at work are often two entirely different people. I'll be whatever you want me to be (as long as it is not illegal) so long as you'll hire me. While I encourage individualist traits, however I take work very seriously and put the needs of my employer first. My personality and wants and needs in a working environment take a back seat to what the employer is looking for. So far, I've managed to be a pretty good actor according to the feedback I get from my employers.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:36 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,288,541 times
How did that polygraph tester get HIS job??

Old 12-31-2016, 07:55 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
How did that polygraph tester get HIS job??
I have no idea. I didn't ask. I just wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. I began thinking, "Am I going to get fired for something that happened before I even started working here??????" Sheeze!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology