Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:35 PM

27 posts, read 16,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, even restaurants use them these days. Issued by a 3rd party online screening company. I saw my first one just over a year ago and was amazed at the page after page of nonsensical TRICK questions that could bite you no matter how you answered. It took me HOURS to wade through it. I almost threw in the towel, it disgusted me so much. I wish I could think of an example of the idiotic questions. When I got hired, I remarked to the manager about it and he said he knew nothing about the test.
I kinda think that is the only reason I have my job, I applied IN PERSON, on paper. (Unheard of, I know.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,223,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
OP- you are wise enough to "thine own self be true". No test can "mark" or categorize in such a way to determine your ethics.

But then most places "expect" you to be honest while the reality is, these test are more to see what a good liar someone can be.

funniest psyche test I took was administered by the post office. Those questions were so all over the place, one minute emphasizing "getting along with others" and then saying basically how good are you at minding your own business without caring that your co worker just bleed all over the place. Blinders are key!

I married a psychologist, learned much from his thesis and many study groups. Somethings are anomalies, and these career tests/mind test are one of them. I often think if the president of these companies had to take them, I bet they'd fail with flying colors.

I refuse to take them.best judge of character is the one sitting beside you discussing life habits.
Certainly! What they want in a worker is not at all what they want in an exec...and no doubt an exec would have far more opportunity to "explain" (b.s.) their way around the test than what a typical applicant might.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:42 PM

27 posts, read 16,535 times
I don't know who thought up those tests, or why... but even for entry-level jobs, applications can sometimes take HOURS. Now, while I can see how that should not be a big deal... In a blind job hunt, it's discouraging and intimidating.

I personally feel that if the application process asks you all these things with NO promise of human interaction, it is almost a sign that they don't want you... or almost anyone.

I had no less than three auto-generated responses to the effect of "We have decided not to move forward with the application process at this time." They word these things as rudely as possible. I wonder when the last time THEY took a psych test is.

As to the entry-level: It used to be easy. Don't select responses that would make them think you are dishonest ("When is it OK to take something from the company? How often is it OK to be late for work?" I am reminded of the scene in The Internship. "Cookies, sodas, bananas, chips, apples, and brownies?" Or something like that.) And you would pass..

Had next to zero luck with third-party job finder sites, too. One proved almost completely useless, and seemed to have listings that did not coincide with the employers themselves...

Old 01-02-2017, 04:26 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,351,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Those questions are part of a standardized quick screen all healthcare facilities use to screen for cognitive problems, called the Mini Mental State Examination. It is standard procedure. Basically it is intended to quickly get an idea if cognitive function is working in all the major areas of the brain (that's why they have math as well as memory as well as problem-solving, they are all different areas of the brain) and to see if further cognitive testing is needed, so there really is no "failing" lol. If you had been unable to do only a certain question it would help them pinpoint the areas that need a further look. In any case, it's been around for decades and the questions cannot be changed or skipped.
LOL yeah it was just so ironic, considering the timing. Midnight - what day is it? Elections already over, nearly inauguration time - who's the President?

Count backwards from 100 by 7 - hell, I can't do that NOW and I think I'm fully recovered. Maybe not.

I thought it was funnier than the doctors did.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:02 PM

88,154 posts, read 84,005,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, even restaurants use them these days. Issued by a 3rd party online screening company. I saw my first one just over a year ago and was amazed at the page after page of nonsensical TRICK questions that could bite you no matter how you answered. It took me HOURS to wade through it. I almost threw in the towel, it disgusted me so much. I wish I could think of an example of the idiotic questions. When I got hired, I remarked to the manager about it and he said he knew nothing about the test.
I think I would turn and walk away.

Fortunately, I had the same job for 37 years, retired, and then was offered a job out of the blue. My biggest fear--that I would have difficulty finding a post-retirement job without a degree--was not realized. They never even asked. They don't care. They want what I know from my old job. And no stupid-ass tests, lol.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:35 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,390,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Admittedly, I'm not exactly heartbroken by this event, but I'd like some input from people who might know more.

I'm 67 years of age, semi-retired, but trying to keep active. I hold a seasonal job at a theme park which will probably last as long as my health holds out, but I'd like more of a challenge.

So I put in an application with a local grocery chain; the app included a pretty good-sized psychological profiling, most of which revolved around issues of honesty, but also whether you would report dishonesty by a fellow employee -- and I would, but the same situation is repeated for each scenario, with several levels of complicity.

When my prospective supervisor got the results back, I was told that, although I'd personally made a good impression, the tests characterized me as "not recommended for hiring" -- but I was invited to repeat them after sixty days.

I will readily admit to a strong sense of personal autonomy and integrity -- which includes a belief that I, (and anybody else) are entitled to our own opinions -- I always follow orders, but a close observer with a strong psych background would likely recognize that I don't like being micro-managed, and don't like working for somebody who inflicts his/her personal hang-ups upon his/her subordinates. And many years ago, when I went through some fairly heavy evaluations in regard to a college scholarship, my personality was characterized as "an unusual combination of both dominant and submissive traits".

So I'm wondering if anyone could provide an insight as to what might have happened here. Sooner or later, when I'm not too busy, I'll probably have a chance to re-take the tests, and if I do, will probably try to characterize myself as a bit more obedient than the "real" me -- just to see what happens; any thoughts are welcome.
That you characterize another person's preferences as "hang-ups" tells me a lot about you, and it isn't positive.

(I'm not suggesting that was on the test at all, but you did use the term in your description for us, so it appears to me that you tend to denigrate others.)

Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM

344 posts, read 548,244 times
I worked as a recruiter for a Fortune 50 company. I traveled around doing sessions and met with local managers in a large territory. The company had just given up using psych tests and those managers were thrilled. I heard many times that good applicants were thrown away because of "those stupid tests."

My reaction to being presented with one of those tests is to decline and leave. Any company that uses those tests will do other completely stupid things, it's presence really helps you to evaluate them. That Fortune 50 company was well known in that industry for being clueless and directionless. The reason I was doing the recruiting as a consultant is their own people couldn't get the work done... ya know?

I've come to the conclusion that psychology is less reliable than astrology or a weather forecast. What's your sign? Will it rain tomorrow? Those questions are more sensible than the psych-eval questions I've seen.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM

4,563 posts, read 5,620,328 times
Post Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyin View Post
It is illegal to administer a lie detector test as a condition towards employment.
Federally, the Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988 restricts the circumstances under which an employer can use a polygraph, but does permit it under certain circumstances, and does not apply to federal, state, and local government agencies.

Many states have their own laws regarding polygraphs and employment, no consistency there.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,351,321 times
I just want one person to give one example of a company which administers polygraphs to job applicants.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:23 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,260,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
OP- you are wise enough to "thine own self be true". No test can "mark" or categorize in such a way to determine your ethics.

But then most places "expect" you to be honest while the reality is, these test are more to see what a good liar someone can be.
I am no liar, and neither am I willing to turn myself into a constant deceiver -- a nauseating Goody Two-Shoes who is expected to maintain an overly-sweetened façade throughout every moment on the job. Sooner or later, almost everyone forced into that corner loses his/her basic sense of self-respect, and things can only go downhill from there.

I think that's the key to a lot of what is rotten in contemporary America, and the blame can be laid squarely at the doorstep of Madison Avenue and Hollywood.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-02-2017 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology