Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

well miss kathie as a part time psychologist on city data forums... here is my free advice

like everything in life its a mix or layers..

you lose the initial excitement of starting something, you get bored, you are too self critical or dont want anyone else to judge (as in the paintings) makes you vulnerable...to stop is to run and hide, its safe

once you complete something you take ownership/responsibiity/accountability of it.....somewhere along the way in life....you got judged harshly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
Well I wrote a daily schedule last month and so far I've been sticking to it.much more productive.

I've banned the web/internet except for a few hours a day and that's helped I complete about six sketches every morning since doing that and it wasn't hard.

I am disciplined in other areas of my life like food,I only eat a plant based diet and never eat processed or junk food,it's transferring that discipline to other areas of my life.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 PM

No I don't censor myself at all,and I'm not afraid of mistakes,or opinions on my paintings,I really only paint for myself it's more lack of discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
well miss kathie as a part time psychologist on city data forums... here is my free advice

like everything in life its a mix or layers..

you lose the initial excitement of starting something, you get bored, you are too self critical or dont want anyone else to judge (as in the paintings) makes you vulnerable...to stop is to run and hide, its safe

once you complete something you take ownership/responsibiity/accountability of it.....somewhere along the way in life....you got judged harshly

Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I know people like to play armchair psychologist on here, but have you ever thought you might have Adult ADHD: WebMD - Better information. Better health.

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed while in his 40s, and since he now knows he has a condition (rather than just being an unorganized flake) he's been able to get help and develop coping skills.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
I do that sometimes. I think it is because I'm afraid of failure. If a project is incomplete then its potential is limitless. If I complete a project then the completed project is as good as its going to get. I know I'm going to nitpick the completed project and everything wrong with it, so sometimes it is easier to start a new project instead.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
No I don't censor myself at all,and I'm not afraid of mistakes,or opinions on my paintings,I really only paint for myself it's more lack of discipline.
Seriously painting can take hours or days, and I can see how somebody could get bored of painting a picture for hours. That's not really a bad thing, unless you were painting postage stamps. I'm not even sure if it's really about discipline and not some sort of inherit laziness, or a dissinterest when the thrill dies down. I know I had to throw together a bicycle to get around, and I could've did it in an hour or less, but I just wasn't feeling it. I was putting a beach cruiser together too, it wasn't like it was a roadbike that needed things adjusted and whatnot, it needed a wheel, another seat, a front brake, and handlebars.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:16 PM

I don't believe in things like adhd,some people have an artistic Temprement,flighty etc and are not designed for order,efficiency that our society demands in everyone,etc it's what makes them creative the unleashed energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I know people like to play armchair psychologist on here, but have you ever thought you might have Adult ADHD: WebMD - Better information. Better health.

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed while in his 40s, and since he now knows he has a condition (rather than just being an unorganized flake) he's been able to get help and develop coping skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology