Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 PM

7,936 posts, read 7,285,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've noticed this across the country. Both employees and customers in Walmart move extremely slow in the store. I've seriously seen turtles move faster than employees and customers in the store. What's up with that?
WalMart attracts poor customers. They are typically fatter and have more leisure time than middle class people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:51 PM

509 posts, read 549,780 times
The stereotypes in this thread are appalling.

I shop at Wal*Mart and am not fat, slow, or poor. I've seen nothing different about the speed of customers there than any other location where people may be browsing.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,119,971 times
And someone please explain to me what is the point of having 35 registers with only 3 open at a time? As to slow people, the only slowness I have observed is when someone is arguing with the cashier over the price of something that she thought was on sale followed by the obligatory "price check." One more thing, why does Walmart attract so many Mexicans? You'd think you are in Nogales.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:04 AM

636 posts, read 390,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've noticed this across the country. Both employees and customers in Walmart move extremely slow in the store. I've seriously seen turtles move faster than employees and customers in the store. What's up with that?
Seeing as how this is the psychology forum, perhaps you should consider that it has something to do with your perception.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:12 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,757,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And someone please explain to me what is the point of having 35 registers with only 3 open at a time? As to slow people, the only slowness I have observed is when someone is arguing with the cashier over the price of something that she thought was on sale followed by the obligatory "price check." One more thing, why does Walmart attract so many Mexicans? You'd think you are in Nogales.
How do you know they're Mexicans? Do they have Mexican flag lapel pins?

Old 01-09-2017, 12:40 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
I'd rather stick a hot poker into my eye than walk into a WalMart.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,678,625 times
Quote:
Of course in some areas of the country, there will be a lot of Hispanic customers. Reason, as an example there are cities in this country where the Hispanic population is the largest single ethnic group and as much as 50% and more of the total population. And all Hispanics are not Mexican ancestry. And remember some states such as New Mexico and California, the Hispanic population is the largest ethnic group in the state. In fact during the few short years that the California population has increased by 50%, the total white population has declined by 5,000,000 people, while the Hispanic population has soared to the biggest ethnic group in the state, and in just a few more years is projected to become 50% plus of the population. The Hispanic and Asian population is growing fast, and the white population is fleeing from the state.

Time to get over your obvious race prejudice if you live in one of those Hispanic areas of the country as there are going to be a lot more of them.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:33 AM

44,545 posts, read 61,229,694 times
Simple minded people with directional disfunctions.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,678,625 times
In retail (I even taught an evening retail class at a college in Oregon in the 1960s), the secret of success, is to have a huge selection of goods to choose from, which slows down the shoppers as they move through your store. The slower they move, the more they buy. And it brings them back to the store, to shop where they get a large selection. Walmart was the first chain, that took it to the level they have. The smaller stores they tried for a year, with less selection proved to be not profitable as people wanted a bigger selection. They have closed them all now, and concentrating on the store size that slows down the shoppers and brings in the money the small stores do not produce.

The complaint you have that shoppers go so slow, is the first sign of success in retail. Fast in and out shoppers don't bring in the volume of business that the slow shoppers do.

And Walmart is spending 1 billion dollars a year for 2 years, to fully develop their on line shopping. They have found on line shopping is very profitable and are even cutting prices on line, below in store prices and still making more money. One of my daughter in laws, found the computer she wanted this last year on line. Went to the store and found it $100 cheaper on line. They would not match their on line price. She asked if she could test the computer for a few moments, went on line bought it on line for store pickup, then called on of the electronic people over to print it for her and they went and brought it out to her. First time it had happened at that store.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:01 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,701,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228
People turn into zombies when they go through the doors of Wal-Mart.
I wonder if some of them are just tired...

I am not a zombie and sometimes I CANNOT FIND A RIDING CART!! So i have to walk all over the store and it tires ya out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology