Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 02:34 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,670 times

Advertisements

I'm finding they have the logic to apply to problems having studied for years,but lack intuition,emotion,wisdom of experience to really help people.

Though I guess they spend so much time talking to people about their problems they acquire a certain amount of wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 03:23 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I don't see that. If a good one, they'll be more intuitive. Psychiatrists IMO are more logical, as that is a hard science where psychology is not, it's a soft science. So IMO it attracts more people who think abstractly, while psychiatry would attract those who think more concretely.

If you find you don't really connect with one, try another. I've gone to a few over the years that I never went back to after the first visit.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I'm finding they have the logic to apply to problems having studied for years,but lack intuition,emotion,wisdom of experience to really help people.
You're the one that needs to change, so you're the one that needs to do the work, not the psychologist.

Not being totally honest with the psychologist impairs their ability to assist you to do the work even more.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,670 times
It's a symbiotic (shared) relationship,you pay a psychologist to assist you hopefully with some level of intuitive insight of their own,wisdom,learning and emotional response.

I'm saying a lot of psychologists only seem to bother with the learning.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:28 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post

Though I guess they spend so much time talking to people about their problems they acquire a certain amount of wisdom.
A psychologist is someone who completed a curriculum in college, filed a thesis and a dissertation and survived a couple of oral exams. There's no guarantee of any amount of understanding, intuition or compassion, to set them apart from other people. They have to face nothing at all, like going through medical school and becoming psychiatrists.

If they turn out to be good at this job, they may develop a successful career and provide an important service. Those who aren't good at it, may settle into staff positions as "company psychologists" or "school-district psychologists" and hopefully do no harm in undistinguished careers.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:13 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
What a successful and helpful psychologist/therapist needs MOST is empathy. Given a successful understanding of one's patient, and a strong enough connection with them, that empathy should lead to intuition. Intuition cannot necessarily be taught; I've met many colleagues who lacked intuition....

Old 01-14-2017, 03:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
A psychologist is someone who completed a curriculum in college, filed a thesis and a dissertation and survived a couple of oral exams.
And is also skilled and trained in certain types of therapy, like Cognitive Processing (CPT), or Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT).

As the old joke goes, "How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb? It only takes one, but the light-bulb has to want to change."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology