Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:21 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Then... you graduate and enter the "real world" which for most is a boring job that sticks you in a routine, and the fun dissipates.
I was interested in electronics since before I was 10 years old. I got my ham radio license at 15. I got my BSEE degree at 22. I had a full career in electronic engineering and I totally enjoyed all my assignments. One of the biggest disappointments of my life was when the economy slowed and I could no longer find jobs. A few years later I qualified for Social Security and retired. Now even later in life I'd love to go back and get perhaps a part time (20 hours/week or 3 days/week) job in my old engineering career.

If your job sucks you picked the wrong career or you picked the wrong college major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:52 PM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I was interested in electronics since before I was 10 years old. I got my ham radio license at 15. I got my BSEE degree at 22. I had a full career in electronic engineering and I totally enjoyed all my assignments. One of the biggest disappointments of my life was when the economy slowed and I could no longer find jobs. A few years later I qualified for Social Security and retired. Now even later in life I'd love to go back and get perhaps a part time (20 hours/week or 3 days/week) job in my old engineering career.

If your job sucks you picked the wrong career or you picked the wrong college major.
And now you are old and grumpy, and seemingly a bigot. How many times do you yell "get off my lawn"?

Unless you reevaluate your thoughts, I can't imagine anyone would hire you.

Last edited by upgrader; 03-30-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:

Not everyone's so lucky. Sometimes you do what pays the bills.

Also, some people don't have interests.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
It might be better to be at an age later in life than in your 20s or 30s today. It is quite possible that the world is on the verge of a cataclysm much worse than WW II. My best bet would be the situation in the Middle East taking a severe turn towards the worse, possibly even nuclear war. At least if you are 70 you got your shot at 70 good years. Maybe many of us have only a dozen or 20 years left to live irrespective of our individual ages. I'm very worried about Iran and North Korea. At least in the 1970s all we had was Vietnam which was never a threat to the whole world. In the not to distant future North Korea is likely to have the capability to strike the US with nuclear weapons. -- Well sorry for the off topic, but nothing is guaranteed in life except that you will surely live to your present age.
I think we were closer to the apocalypse in the 1950s and 1960s, at the height of the cold war with the Soviet Union, than we are today. North Korea is a banana republic that nobody likes and even China won't risk its relationship with the West to defend them (China would gain nothing out of it). And I think Vietnam was worse than the current problem in the Middle East. With Vietnam, people were drafted who did not want to fight in the war and had other hopes and dreams for their life. At least now, the people fighting over there are those who want to be there. I am concerned about world events, but I don't think we are any closer to nuclear war than we have been at other points since World War II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
My life totally sucked in my 20s-mainly because of poor choices I made. My life took a 180 turn when I was 26 years old. I took a couple of years to lick my wounds and try to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. (I still don't know.) At the age of 29, I went back to school and to me, that is when my life really started to be good. And it has gotten so much better since then.

Cat
Interesting. 26 was the age where my life went the other direction, when I moved back to boring, ultra-conservative Oklahoma. Bad decisions made in the years after that have me trapped here. Honestly, I would love to pack up and move somewhere totally different, like NYC, Philly, Portland, or anywhere that isn't the South.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:55 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think we were closer to the apocalypse in the 1950s and 1960s, at the height of the cold war with the Soviet Union, than we are today. North Korea is a banana republic that nobody likes and even China won't risk its relationship with the West to defend them (China would gain nothing out of it). And I think Vietnam was worse than the current problem in the Middle East. With Vietnam, people were drafted who did not want to fight in the war and had other hopes and dreams for their life. At least now, the people fighting over there are those who want to be there. I am concerned about world events, but I don't think we are any closer to nuclear war than we have been at other points since World War II.

Interesting. 26 was the age where my life went the other direction, when I moved back to boring, ultra-conservative Oklahoma. Bad decisions made in the years after that have me trapped here. Honestly, I would love to pack up and move somewhere totally different, like NYC, Philly, Portland, or anywhere that isn't the South.
Didn't read the whole thread, but maybe it isn't your age but your surroundings that has you feeling that life isn't so great after a certain age. I live in an area that I consider boring and conservative too, but I am also a drive away from Philly, NYC, even Baltimore and DC. I take in the museums, the aquarium, and the Botanical Garden with the same sense of wonder as I did the first time. I find that I even gain different perspectives each time I go. Are there cultural events in your area or people that feel the same way you do, wanting more adventure?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
The Middle East is a global powder keg. Vietnam was nothing of the kind.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:12 AM

937 posts, read 743,828 times
Yes, the late teens and early twenties can be fun and thrilling, but this is a short lived time of life. As one ages, youthful social life often gradually dissipates, and one often can find oneself after age 25 existing in a social desert. By 25, the quarter life crisis can rear its head, and one can panic about life direction, achieving goals etc.

The early twenties are NOT all fun and enjoyment, however.

Things I DON'T miss about that time of life:

-Going out and drinking too much. Hangovers, and making a drunken fool of oneself. Losing keys, credit cards, saying stupid things, doing stupid things while inebriated. Feeling like a fool the next day. Booooo.
-Inevitable friendship and dating dramas of living with roommates or friends. Tiring. Watch a few 'Girls' episodes to jog memory.
-Messy, crusty living domiciles. Kitchen sink filled with roommate dishes and trash cans overflowing with smelly beer cans on weekend mornings. Gross college fridges. Hungover roommates and their boyfriends/hookups emerging looking sickly from their rooms at 2pm. Forced interactions. Gets old quick.
-Classes and homework perpetually looming over one's head
-Dating. It's mostly awkward, fraught with misunderstandings, exhausting, stressful, and can certainly be a freak show. Good riddance, and thank god for my middle aged hubby sitting on the couch right now in his plaid robe drinking a cup of coffee.

Last edited by Chloe333; 04-01-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM

866 posts, read 629,832 times
Quote:
I definitely don't want to go to the grave having lived the best of my life at age 25.
You ARE Life, so this very moment needs to be accepted as the best one there is or you will be short changing your self and not enjoy the fullness of the Reality that you ARE - right now! This is it - so enjoy it while it's here.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Things I DON'T miss about that time of life:

-Going out and drinking too much. Hangovers, and making a drunken fool of oneself. Losing keys, credit cards, saying stupid things, doing stupid things while inebriated. Feeling like a fool the next day. Booooo.
-Inevitable friendship and dating dramas of living with roommates or friends. Tiring. Watch a few 'Girls' episodes to jog memory.
-Messy, crusty living domiciles. Kitchen sink filled with roommate dishes and trash cans overflowing with smelly beer cans on weekend mornings. Gross college fridges. Hungover roommates and their boyfriends/hookups emerging looking sickly from their rooms at 2pm. Forced interactions. Gets old quick.
-Classes and homework perpetually looming over one's head
-Dating. It's mostly awkward, fraught with misunderstandings, exhausting, stressful, and can certainly be a freak show. Good riddance, and thank god for my middle aged hubby sitting on the couch right now in his plaid robe drinking a cup of coffee.

You were doing it wrong.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:16 PM

937 posts, read 743,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

You were doing it wrong.
Haha. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology