Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:08 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times

Advertisements

This family doesn't care. OP seems only mildly interested. Mentally ill people who turn violent often start with their family. Meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
Okay thanks, I don't know who is therapist is though, but I can see if my parents know.

As for not going off his medication cause that's up to the doctor, he's been acting this way since he went on the medication and I think it's the medication that is doing this too him. I feel like I am the only who has noticed the "coincidental timing".

Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, I don't know who is therapist is though, but I can see if my parents know.

As for not going off his medication cause that's up to the doctor, he's been acting this way since he went on the medication and I think it's the medication that is doing this too him. I feel like I am the only who has noticed the "coincidental timing".

Well you wont find any argument with me on that point. I've known more people harmed by psych drugs than were helped. But if he wants to be on them not much you can do.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Well I don't know if he WANTS to be on them, he is just following the advice of the doctor I think. I mean it just seems like such coincidental timing that he started acting this way only about three months about after first being put on the medication.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Wait. So you're not sure if your parents EVEN KNOW who your brother's therapist is??? Didn't you post in this very thread?
Quote:
The doctor just says don't loose our temper with him or anything and try to be as nice to him as possible when trying to teach him to behave better.
But no one seems to know who he is?

Good lord, I've never seen such a fogged-out, checked-out family. Whatever your brother does when he finally snaps is 100% on you.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Okay then, well I asked the parents and they said that even though they have heard of a couple of instances from third party examples, over the years, it's most him complaining about how he tells off women after they reject him.

But some of the things he is saying are major concerns, like how these women deserve to be sexually assaulted, and things like that he says. He comes off like a raving fascist lunatic, and I think it's cause for alarm.
People say those things out of frustration. I know a guy like that and he's totally non-violent. You can't lock people up for thought crime.

The biggest link between violence and mental illness is when people use drugs.

Quote:
The risk of violent behaviour has been found to be greater in patients with substance abuse comorbidity.
https://jech.bmj.com/content/70/3/223

Old 02-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wait. So you're not sure if your parents EVEN KNOW who your brother's therapist is??? Didn't you post in this very thread?

But no one seems to know who he is?

Good lord, I've never seen such a fogged-out, checked-out family. Whatever your brother does when he finally snaps is 100% on you.
Why is this a hundred percent on me? It's not that easy to get someone institutionalized. And yes my parents know who the therapist is, so I will ask them.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Why is this a hundred percent on me? It's not that easy to get someone institutionalized. And yes my parents know who the therapist is, so I will ask them.
Don't just ask them. Tell them what you think needs to happen. Tell them you will call the police the next time he threatens someone. Tell them they need to report his actions to his therapist, and there needs to be an evaluation of whether your brother is a danger to others. Don't stop until something gets done.

I know you want to be a filmmaker and direct a feature film. But your problem-solving skills seem to be nil.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:49 PM

Okay thanks. I went to the police station and spoke to the police, but they said they cannot do anything unless a crime has been committed that a victim or a witness of the crime, is willing to report. So even if I did call the police next time I hear about him threatening or insulting someone, I don't think they will take it seriously if I hear it from my brother, based on what they told me when I asked.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:55 PM

Oh for God's sake.

I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology