Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:16 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times

Advertisements

This is a bit sexist don't you think? Why not start another post that all women want is $$. So why should men care about them. Relationships can be meaningful long past the stereotypes.

My husband and I don't fit either stereotype and I'm sure most don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 02:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post

And what is romantic "love". It makes no sense anyways. It's all about procreation anyways,so basically in the context of romantic "love", it's " i love you because you have big eyes, young skin, and big breasts! <3 Till wrinkles do us part!"
It's not, but you can keep thinking that if you want to.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 PM

130 posts, read 105,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
This is a bit sexist don't you think? Why not start another post that all women want is $$. So why should men care about them. Relationships can be meaningful long past the stereotypes.

My husband and I don't fit either stereotype and I'm sure most don't.
Because men have a huge sex drive and can't get the most beautiful ladies without paying marriage? They also want the trophy wives ( to show off to their boys) and to have offspring so they can pass down their "legacy". I agree women are hardwired to want men with resources so until the past century, they had to look for powerful men who could help provide for them and their children. The instinct to become sexually attracted to powerful men is still there; i'm just saying that it's irrational for women today to have to put up with the inevitable heart break when we can now provide for ourselves.

Even if women want $$$$ as much as men want physical beauty (which i think is true, except women also care about traits that could lead up to men obtaining the $$$ in the future, so women care about personality more than men do), that doesn't mean that romantic love is suddenly meaningful ; it just means both sexes have reasons to believe romantic love is superficial and not engage in it.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's not, but you can keep thinking that if you want to.
what else can it be for? Romantic love is merely just a mechanism to keep mates long enough together to make them form a team to rear their offspring (usually 2-7 year inch)

Old 01-30-2017, 02:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Beauty may fade, but stupid lasts forever. I was lucky enough to marry a woman who is both beautiful and very intelligent. I'm good: thanks!

Old 01-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Beauty may fade, but stupid lasts forever. I was lucky enough to marry a woman who is both beautiful and very intelligent. I'm good: thanks!
let's hear you say that when your wife ages!

would you have married her had she not been beautiful but had an even more awesome personality? NO, right?

Old 01-30-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
P.S. With whom are you suggesting women have relationships, if not men?

Have you really thought this through? Because it makes no sense.
i said in my OP that it is better to be single. You make it sound as if some law or force in the universe necessitates that women have romantic relationships no matter what (in 2017!), hence it doesn't make sense to you when women can't have romantic relationships. What is that law or force? I think YOU REALLY hadn't thought this through. There is no such law or force, hence what you said makes no sense.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
i said in my OP that it is better to be single. You make it sound as if some law or force in the universe necessitates that women have romantic relationships no matter what (in 2017!), hence it doesn't make sense to you when women can't have romantic relationships. What is that law or force? I think YOU REALLY hadn't thought this through. There is no such law or force, hence what you said makes no sense.
Non beautiful women get married.

Women lose interest in men at about the same rate and in the same time frames as men lose interest.

Lifetime monogamy is a fine thing to shoot for, but most men and women treat it as a "guideline".

And what's your point again?

Old 01-30-2017, 02:58 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
let's hear you say that when your wife ages!

would you have married her had she not been beautiful but had an even more awesome personality? NO, right?
My wife and I are in our sixties. When I met her, I was 32 and she was 28.

She was with a much more glamorous friend, but in our initial conversations, my (future) wife was the one who knew how Star Trek related to "rich Corinthian leather."

I think she's still very pleasing to look at, and it's still very important that she knows how Star Trek relates to "rich Corinthian leather."

She also remembers the Queen of Soul, and she knows where that reference comes from...another important point.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 282,994 times
While I do agree there are a small percentage of men that aren't like this in North America, try being a woman online for a week. I always tell men this & if you are a women who is attached & has never dated online, try it just to see what goes on.

It's HORRIFIC out there online & YES, guys only care about my looks & how do I know this???

BECAUSE they NEVER read my profile & they ONLY comment on my looks.

And if you think it's just a one-off thing, wrong again.... I've had dating profiles up since I started dating online back in '98.

And it doesn't just happen to me, I remember way back when talking to a guy who told me he had to take his pic down & he talked to a woman who had to take her pic down. Nowadays no one will look at you if you don't have a pic & they will think you are hiding something or ugly.

As for telling me to get out of the house & stop looking for men online, it's not easy for me. I work online from home, so I don't meet co-workers.

I don't have a lot of money to go out, & since I left a larger city back in 2003, I haven't been in a city (been moving around & have been out of the country) that affords me the things I like to do, plus the types of men & women I like aren't where I've been living.

No one's fault, just explaining that this is why I unfortunately have to rely solely on the net. I pretty much gave up on the net a few years ago. It has worked for some people, just not for me.

Now if I was just looking for sex, then YES it would work, but that's not just what I'm seeking.

I don't go to bars & in bars people are just shopping for sex & are also extremely superficial.

And I also feel she's right about many men staying with the wife b/c of the kids or b/c they don't have the money to divorce.

The first time I talked to a guy about it online, I was shocked. The more men I heard say this, the more depressed I became.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but they are the minority.

And yes it's different in EU, but unfortunately I don't live in EU.

The one thing I don't necessarily agree with is that they only leave her for younger women, but plenty of men do. And men can get away with not being as attractive, it's much harder for a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology