Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 05:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
...it is important to note that many of these ideas aren't proven scientific facts... ... it’s still theory ...
So like I said ... not actually science. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Popular media and culture do often present many of these theories as facts but it is important to note that many of these ideas aren't proven scientific facts that can't be questioned.
There are no scientific facts. There are only scientific theories. There are better theories and worse theories but none are facts, although many theories are regarded as unlikely to change which could be regarded as facts.

Newton had physics well explained until Einstein came along and changed physics forever. More correctly, he extended Newton's theories. IMO it is likely theories of physics theories (and all science) are likely to be changed in both minor and major ways in the future as science continues to evolve.

I predict two things will never change: time travel and faster than light travel. I'm just stating my personal opinion.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 AM

50,703 posts, read 36,411,320 times
This is the silliest thread ever. I don't know any men who trade in the women they love like a new car every 10 years. Men love, too. I actually find the thread insulting to men, as it implies complete and total superficiality and that they don't feel human emotions. Aside from the fact that the vast majority of men do not take their LTR's this lightly, if you go to Relationships you can see how many guys have trouble meeting one woman they can love, let alone be able to replace that person at will because they aren't as beautiful as they used to be. Regardless, most do not, IMO.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:16 PM

102,186 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is the silliest thread ever. I don't know any men who trade in the women they love like a new car every 10 years. Men love, too. I actually find the thread insulting to men, as it implies complete and total superficiality and that they don't feel human emotions. Aside from the fact that the vast majority of men do not take their LTR's this lightly, if you go to Relationships you can see how many guys have trouble meeting one woman they can love, let alone be able to replace that person at will because they aren't as beautiful as they used to be. Regardless, most do not, IMO.
True. A thread like this would be against the TOS on the Relationships forum. It's so out of touch with reality, some would even call it trolling, but I believe the OP is sincere. It's clear she needs more life experience, though, before making sweeping pronouncements, and throwing an entire gender under the bus.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There are no scientific facts. There are only scientific theories. There are better theories and worse theories but none are facts, although many theories are regarded as unlikely to change which could be regarded as facts.

Newton had physics well explained until Einstein came along and changed physics forever. More correctly, he extended Newton's theories. IMO it is likely theories of physics theories (and all science) are likely to be changed in both minor and major ways in the future as science continues to evolve.

I predict two things will never change: time travel and faster than light travel. I'm just stating my personal opinion.
There are many, many, many scientific facts.

Even about love/relationships.

Being in love ramps up production of oxytocin in the human brain, resulting in feelings of happiness and pleasure about everything. And serotonin levels decrease (that's the hormone that makes us feel rotten when we get our hearts broken). Facts.

Many animals form monogamous relationships--wolves, eagles, penguins. Fact. (And, yes, I know that some of them still mate with many partners, but they still maintain a relationship with a single partner).

There are tons of scientific facts out there.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:42 PM

102,186 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Serotonin actually contributes to feelings of happiness, and an insufficiency of it can cause depression.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
I don't want a scientific approach to love thank you very much,reason and love lie not together,people rarely make rational choices in love,people have truly lost their poetry if they think love is nothing but the transaction of chemicals.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So like I said ... not actually science. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I believe she wrote that to point out that she was interested in the more scientific ideas rather than emotional/romantic ones.

Last edited by detshen; 02-01-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 04:49 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
That guys care most about physical beauty is indisputable (consistent with both evolutionary theory and many studies). So, ladies, unless there's $$$$$$$$ in it (in which it'd be business and fair game), why even pursue romantic relationships, in which guys care most about your physical beauty, which would inevitably fade and which would inevitably be beaten by a more beautiful woman (no matter how beautiful you are)? Plus, even if we lived in a Peter Pan world where women stay looking aged 20 forever, it's just so superficial and pointless. Is it not better to stay single forever, where we don't have to worry about the men we are attached to leaving us or fantasizing about leaving us for more beautiful women? This wasn't an option for women just a century ago, but today it is.
You are a whippersnapper, apparently. "Guys" who haven't grown up yet care most about beauty. But they will learn that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You only need to look around at handsome leading men who are married to not so attractive women.

"Men" like the whole package. That's what marriage is about...taking out the garbage, working through illnesses, sharing hobbies, sharing politics, having a few laughs, mourning over lost loved ones. Life gets cold and lonely when all you have is arm candy. That's true for both sexes.

Attraction is something in the eye, a chemistry. Not necessarily the best looking person in the room.

You'll find this out when you grow up. The same is true for women, who ARE attracted to handsome bad boys when young.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM

130 posts, read 105,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
That's definitely not true, every other dating profile on every other dating app out there says things like

"don't contact me if you're x" or "I only date x".

It's obvious if you observe the trends of couples as well, how skewed "interracial" dating is.
Move to California then. We don't care here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology