Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:18 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

Why is it that when they announce that we are going to have a snow event there is a quick run in the grocery stores on bread, milk and toilet paper? Yes, we may be snowbound for a day or two but in reality it's just a short-term inconvenience that we won't be experiencing for a long period of time. Is there some deeper psychological symbolism behind this phenomenon that we experience when we know that frozen precipitation is approaching? Why don't we do the same when the temps get really hot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We don't run to the store when snow is forecast (like tomorrow here) but we do fill the car with gas. While we only get sticking snow 2-3 times a year it cripples the traffic, so we may spend 3 hours going 5-6 miles. With a large pantry and freezer, we always have enough food to manage, and get the huge packages of TP at Costco, so neither is an issue. When it gets really hot, also rare here, there is no effect on being able to get to work or the store. Usually I will keep plenty of beer on hand when the heat comes in July, but the supermarket is only a mile away.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:54 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Very good question! Perhaps as a society in today's world we're so spoiled by having everything we need when we want it (for the most part), that the thought of not having milk for our cereal seems like a real disaster (as an example).

I have the PBS DVD of the Donner Party and when we get into the depths of winter and I want Spring to hurry up I watch that DVD. Amazing that anyone in that group survived in the Sierra Mountains from October to March, and with snow as deep as six feet, no shelter, no food.

After watching the DVD I look around and realize all the amenities I have and forget about winter.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I saw this phenomenon a lot when I lived in NY and NC. I think people are never sure how bad the snowfall is so they want to be prepared in case the electricity goes out or the roads are so bad that they can't leave home for a few days.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:48 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Why is it that when they announce that we are going to have a snow event there is a quick run in the grocery stores on bread, milk and toilet paper? Yes, we may be snowbound for a day or two but in reality it's just a short-term inconvenience that we won't be experiencing for a long period of time. Is there some deeper psychological symbolism behind this phenomenon that we experience when we know that frozen precipitation is approaching? Why don't we do the same when the temps get really hot?
You forgot the "run" on eggs every time that Snowmageddon is predicted, and my conclusion is that people apparently develop a desire to make French Toast when snow is predicted.

It is important to remember that the broadcast media will almost always "hype" an impending snowstorm into the approach of a major calamity, in the interest of gaining more viewers/higher ratings.

If somebody maintains reasonable supplies in his/her home, even if a major storm doesn't allow you to have quite as many menu options as you would normally have, being potentially snowed-in for a day or two is VERY far from equaling a life-threatening situation.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Depending on how much snow falls, I could be stuck in the house for a week. Even if it's just a day or two, I want to make sure I have some decent food (not milk and bread) and toilet paper.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I get a nice, snugly, comfortable feeling when the weather is bad outside, bad enough that the only people out and about are those who have no choice. Meanwhile I'm all cozy in front of a warm fire with all my creature comforts.

I love the feeling of having a well stocked refrigerator, freezer and pantry where I have a variety of my favorite foods and endless choices of which delicious dinner I'll have.

Perhaps people are simply trying to create this feeling of being cozy and tucked in while the wild weather rages outside, the feeling of safety that you have everything you need and the weather can't touch you!

Maybe you can create that cozy feeling even knowing it's only for a day or two.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:21 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
In Minnesota we never know for sure how long a blizzard will last so yes, I rush to make sure I have enough of everything. Just in case. Living on social security I no longer can afford to stock up as I used to.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:28 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
If you live in a serous snow climate you own a horizontal deep freezer, likely in your garage, and you have enough wood cut and an emergency generator with sufficient fuel to last as long as it takes for the blizzard to blow away.

And heh, if you are like me with my Internet-centric business and a good Internet connection, you won't have to worry about commuting to your job.

The most serious thing you have to worry about is emergent medical problems. Your most important lifeline is to maintain your ability to contact the outside in the event of an emergency.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:39 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
No issue most of the time, I drive a Subaru. Us snow people know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology