Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 06:37 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,013,867 times

Advertisements

What's the psychology of the obsession here with bitter, angry posts from people who don't have to face the situations they're so angry about?

99% of the time about kids, old people, pets...

Jeez, it's like we're surrounded by "get offa my lawn" lunkheads in training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 10:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times
It's the same motivation as trolling. Boring personal circumstances, no life, attention {word I can't say here}, emotional outlet for pent up emotions, verbal combat, delusion that they are winning in their own minds even though rational C-D members see them as losers (they are too self centered to realize this).

At the most basic level they are people who have nothing in their real lives and are seeking attention online.

Thus the Internet saying: "Don't feed the trolls."

Infrequent site visitors often find it difficult to spot them. Frequent posters (also called "addicts") remember them after the numerous topics started by or replied to by the same names.

I'll admit to being a frequent poster. You can see it in my postbit, and in yours too. You evidently post well.

Putting it in different terms, posting on Internet forums is a convenient, anonymous outlet to release pent up negative emotions. In a way I'm glad they are doing it on the Internet if it keeps them from doing it in RL.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 AM

15,196 posts, read 10,158,323 times
Since I have joined this site I have learned that if someone posts a long, rambling thread with some bizarre story AND it is a first time post, most of the time it is either fictitious or they are a troll and I don't bother to respond because most of the time they will never return. Relationships & psychology seem to attract the most of them.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,013,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Since I have joined this site I have learned that if someone posts a long, rambling thread with some bizarre story AND it is a first time post, most of the time it is either fictitious or they are a troll and I don't bother to respond because most of the time they will never return. Relationships & psychology seem to attract the most of them.
But quite often it seems to be about kids (most often), pets, old people...

Hmmm, those three things share one characteristic at least...they're vulnerable and need attention to live properly. I wonder people who get bent out of shape and need to post silly rants here just aren't capable of empathy or are incurably self-centered.

Furthermore, they always seem to exaggerate how impacted they are. As if hordes of needy kids are climbing all over them as they walk down the street.

Anyhow...I think it says 99% about the posters, and 1% about kids/pets/etc.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:11 PM

169 posts, read 114,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
What's the psychology of the obsession here with bitter, angry posts from people who don't have to face the situations they're so angry about?

LOL. I feel you.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,627,488 times
What do you mean? Can you give specific examples?

People want to vent about the things that bother them in life. What's wrong with that?

Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM

4,168 posts, read 3,357,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

You kids git offa my lawn!

And take yer pets and old people with ya!

Old 02-06-2017, 02:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
You kids git offa my lawn!

And take yer pets and old people with ya!

Has anybody else intentionally turned on the front yard sprinkler system to get rid of people hanging around your front yard?

(My sprinkler controller is in my garage, accessible without going outside.)

I'm a bad boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology