Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

I was a Brownie and then a Girl Scout until junior high, which would be middle school in today's language. I lost interest then, and I dropped out.

But I had a pretty good time going to day camp, and to meetings. I never went to a GSA sleepover camp; it is possible it was not operating until later. I remember working for badges, and I think that was kind of fun. I really don't think too much about being in the Girl Scouts though. I don't think it was formative or anything. It was just an activity I did for a few years with other girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 PM

497 posts, read 484,144 times
I was a Cub Scout and later a Boy Scout. I enjoyed my time in both and wouldn't trade it if I could. My son is an Eagle scout and he is very successful. He wanted to give up before he got his Eagle because it was difficult, but stayed with it and now he's happy he did.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:34 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
I was a brownie and a girl scout and I loved it. We went on trips, did lots of activities, went camping and helped a lot of people in the community. What's not to like?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:36 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I had a friend who was in Girl Scouts. She appreciated learning all the camping and nature skills and lore, and the outings. Isn't there a subtle religious component to Scouts, though? Kids can learn the same things at summer camp, without the pressure to earn badges or without any religious overtones.
No religious overtones in my troop and a little pressure to work hard and earn badges isn't a terrible thing.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:53 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Did you join or know someone who joined and it really made a difference?
Yes, I was in the Girl Scouts. I always say it made me a better person. Be prepared! My co-worker and I who went to training at the same time 16 years ago were they only two people that brought flashlights along--we had both been Girl Scouts! We were good when the electricity went out for a couple of hours! Be Prepared will always be our Motto!

As I was reading the traditions online it all still rings true, they have stayed with me. I still have my Brownie uniform in my closet along with my sash with my earned badges.

Traditions - Girl Scouts

Motto: The Girl Scout motto is "Be prepared." In the 1947 Girl Scout Handbook, the motto was explained this way: "A Girl Scout is ready to help out wherever she is needed. Willingness to serve is not enough; you must know how to do the job well, even in an emergency." The same holds true today.

Slogan: The Girl Scout slogan, which has been used since 1912, is "Do a good turn daily." The slogan is a reminder of the many ways girls can contribute positively to the lives of others.

SWAPS: Girl Scouts often make small tokens of friendship to exchange with the Girl Scouts they meet while traveling. These little gifts are called ”SWAPS,” which stands for “Special Whatchamacallits Affectionately Pinned Somewhere.”

Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Did you join or know someone who joined and it really made a difference? I was just curious because I never joined. I didn't think I would enjoy it so I didn't. I thought it was interesting that a good friend of mine recently told me the same thing. So people who joined girl/boy scouts probably have different personalities than me.
Joined scouts a little later in age due to moving around. My parents thought it would be a good idea to help socialize and meet knew friends. I also didn't really have an opportunity to go out to explore nature (living in a city, not much money etc). Although I didn't finish, I got a lot out of it and learned a lot of lessons that I think I carried through life. It provided a bit of structure in my life when I needed it most (I liked getting into trouble as a kid.. lol)

I have a few friends from H.S. are Eagle scouts. All of them are successful. One of them that eventually became a scout leader is a Navy Doctor currently serving on a career path. Looking back, I think the experience left a much bigger impression than I realize...

I think it highly depends on the troop itself... how well it is organized.. size.. funding.. scout leaders, and its membership. I don't think it has much to do about "personality" as much as whether or not you are the type that likes to explore.

Last edited by usayit; 02-09-2017 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 07:26 AM

As for religion, I never felt that it was a focus in my troop although there were some very faithful families involved. I was always the type that challenged religious views (Parents are very religious but I now identify as Atheist) but I was never confronted during my time with the troop. Many pursued opportunities within the scouts for religious activities. The 12th Boy Scout Law is "Reverent".... as such I think it is encouraged if the individual showed interest. My interpretation of that law was a Boy Scout was capable of showing deep respect for all people... regardless of race, color, and creed.

I think the idea that Atheist and Agnostics should be excluded from membership was a common thing decades ago and carried through time as tradition. Not just scouts but many organizations.. even ones that are not religiously affiliated. The so called "faithless" were seen as a portion of society that brought in negative influences. The local chapters of the Freemasons have a requirement that still exists today; it doesn't matter which god(s) you believe in just as long as you do believe in something. It is an important part of their traditions and ceremonies.

I think over time, people became more understanding and various organizations downplayed its important. I think recently Boy Scouts officially welcomed Atheists and Agnostics.

Last edited by usayit; 02-09-2017 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Kids can learn the same things at summer camp, without the pressure to earn badges or without any religious overtones.
I think the pressure to work towards goals is one of the best parts I learned as scout. Isn't life really just a series of goals we set for ourselves? I too also went summer camps (before scouts) and there are important elements missing. Organization, leadership roles, goal setting, adult leadership/role models that are consistent presence year after year, comradery.. etc.

It is also a group that is active throughout the year not just during the summer.

As per my previous post, the religious overtones weren't present in my troop.... even though we had very religious individuals. I'm sure this varies from troop to troop. I've heard of local church leadership also being involved in local chapters of Boy Scouts... I can certainly expect a much more obvious religious tone in those troops. Mine were mostly former Boy Scouts and parents.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:27 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I joined brownies because I thought the whole point was to make brownies and then sell them for charitable causes. This is why you should never ASSUME. I was excited because I thought, y'know... if we're making brownies all the time, we would obviously be eating a lot of brownies too.

First meeting they were talking about doing all of these nice little things to earn badges and such, and I was thinking "This is a total scam! This is like bait-and-switch!" I was looking around at the other nice little girls hoping for some commiseration... and none. They were all happy and smiling.

So I sort of got tricked into the brownies by my own stupidity. Then I went on to Girl Scouts and had an insane troop leader.

Just all around, it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.
That's funny. It didn't work out in scouts for my son either. The leader was a drunk.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
I had a friend who was in Girl Scouts. She appreciated learning all the camping and nature skills and lore, and the outings. Isn't there a subtle religious component to Scouts, though? Kids can learn the same things at summer camp, without the pressure to earn badges or without any religious overtones.
Although our Troop gathered at the Catholic School's lunchroom after school, there was no religious overtones or was there pressure to earn badges. We never prayed together. It was fun to earn badges. I think we did sing the Girl Scout song: "Make New Friends" often I only have sweet memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology