Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
That is sort of what I have already started doing. I am selling off some items and only buying if it is an amazing deal where I am pretty certain I can make a profit if I resell.
Shopping addiction has a medical term with signs and symptoms that you can look at and determine if it pertains to you.

Addiction - GENERAL - What-Is-Shopping-Addiction

It is called Omniomania. We travelled to TO last weekend and can see how this might become a real issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
when i saw the title, I knew it must be you.

So you don't have any debt. And you don't want to get help. You do see it as a problem but you don't want to change and you don't really see it seriously. So what do you want from us, approval?
Attention.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default .....

Quote:
when i saw the title, I knew it must be you.

So you don't have any debt. And you don't want to get help. You do see it as a problem but you don't want to change and you don't really see it seriously. So what do you want from us, approval?
I am going to pass around a virtual can ... and anyone with spare change can contribute to my cause ... "Don't Let that deal get away" !

On a real note thought I think I am just really good at finding crazy deals. Ex 90% off etc. I am not specifically wanting anything.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I'll contribute a kind word. Do they fit in the can?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:53 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Attention.
Oh ... I get it !

I always have to wonder why people who actually have no interest in a topic or discussion feel like they should add their 2 cents?

Maybe someone adding random comments to a thread or topic they have no interest in should consider finding something better to do with their time .

Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Somehow I am not BUYING this

I doubt that you resell all stuff you bought and make a profit. I think this is what you tell yourself to justify your purchases.

But since you can afford your spending habit and dont want to change, why not just enjoy it?

I just starting to enforce this re-sale rule. Re-selling stuff to make a profit is not easy. I am already aware of that.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Default lol ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Shopping addiction has a medical term with signs and symptoms that you can look at and determine if it pertains to you.

Addiction - GENERAL - What-Is-Shopping-Addiction

It is called Omniomania. We travelled to TO last weekend and can see how this might become a real issue

There are stores everywhere. It has just become a norm... I just pop in and see what is on sale and if it is a crazy great deal I grab it.

There is some crazy discounts on cleareance stuff in my city. Like shockingly low and walking away from some of this stuff seem stupid.

Ex Tissue paper for wrappig gifts. I walk in this store and they have a box of the invidual packs that sell for $2 for $0.05 each. This stuff does not expire and there are lots of uses for it ... crafts, gift wrapping...

I walked in a store on Sunday and they had boxes of chanpange chocolate truffles that do to expire until the summer and would make great easter gifts or hostess gifts ... they usually sell for $16 per box ... and were on celearnce for $2 each and plus if I spend $50 in the store I would get $20 off in store credit! You do the math ... that is pretty crazy. When I give gifts people think I broke the bank... but if anything I usually spend not that much but just know how to find things really cheap.

Men's desinger authenic dress shirts .. Calin Klien, Tommy, Natica authenitc... not damages or wired sizes or colours.... walked in a store and they were having a crazy clearence sale $5 each! retail from $75 to $100 each based of the tags on the shirts. Snap ... I grab them and gave them as gifts.

If you are in the right time and right place and it is crazy discounted saying no is very tricky.

Thanks got I dont live near an outlet mall and these are just random clearence encounters.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I always have to wonder why people who actually have no interest in a topic or discussion feel like they should add their 2 cents?
Maybe to prove they actually possess two coins necessary to be able to rub one against the other?

Quote:
Maybe someone adding random comments to a thread or topic they have no interest in should consider finding something better to do with their time .
Oh now you are really hitting below the belt. Obviously many are bored by TV (like me) or can't join FB (because they have a brain?)

Quote:
I just starting to enforce this re-sale rule. Re-selling stuff to make a profit is not easy. I am already aware of that.
I've sold a lot on eBay. It's hard work, particularly when you include taking the pics and writing the copy. Then there's dealing with nasty buyers which parallels dealing with nasty forum posters. And buyer scams. My sales were always honest but probably there are seller scams too. Also, assuming you will buy low and sell high (the secret to sales success, or the stock market) you have to assign a value to your time, and it may turn out you're making 50 cents/hour reselling your stock.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 PM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
you have to ask yourself, do you really NEED this item? i do think you are on your way to a problem with your shopping. It doesn't matter if you can pay it now with cash/debit, and not putting it on credit. You're still left with all those items taking space in your home/life, with majority of it not serving you a purpose, then it's all clutter/junk to me.

period.

Perhaps i'm viewing this from the perspective of having grown up with a mother who had a serious shopping/hoarding issue. Like you, she could NOT be in a store and leave without buying ANYTHING, every single time. Whether be it food, clothe, knick knack, future presents for kids/people she may want to keep in a gift closet for those special occasions down the road. Now as a 73 year old lady with serious health issues, in a 5 bedroom home all alone with tons and tons of stuff around her, it's all too much. I've gone into the extreme oppopsite way as a result of my upbringing. I'm very ruthless in keeping my home clutter free, donate/sell stuff periodically from my home every 3-4 months. So, ask yourself every time you step into a store....can i leave here without having a need to buy one single item?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 AM

I think I have omniophobia. (If that's a word.) I hate shopping. I don't mind paying for things I need, but I have to need them desperately to get me in a store. -- I even scurry through supermarkets as quickly as possible to score my food and get outta there!

I froze at night half the winter before I finally forced myself to go buy a space heater at BB&B. Now I even got to take a few blankets off the pile I had slept under!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology