Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Over the long weekend, I watched a full UK mystery series I'd been meaning to watch for a while. It was excellent, and when I'd worked my way through it, I felt pretty down. Now, I'm dealing with a bunch of other things related to my family, but it struck me that maybe the timing was bad on opting to watch the whole series at once. It gave me a great deal of pleasure, but afterwards, I felt kind of bereft - didn't help my mood at all.

Curious what other folks' experiences have been with it.
I read somewhere that binge watching actually makes people enjoy the show less. I think watching TV for hours and hours generally is bad for your mental health. Most TV content isn't good for your psyche. It's not an accident that they call it a program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 06:07 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Over the long weekend, I watched a full UK mystery series I'd been meaning to watch for a while. It was excellent, and when I'd worked my way through it, I felt pretty down. Now, I'm dealing with a bunch of other things related to my family, but it struck me that maybe the timing was bad on opting to watch the whole series at once. It gave me a great deal of pleasure, but afterwards, I felt kind of bereft - didn't help my mood at all.

Curious what other folks' experiences have been with it.
When I watched NFL on Sundays, I got the same feeling. Netflix makes binge watching so much more enjoyable since there are no commercials and one can rewind. I can watch about three 43 min. shows (about the length of a long movie) and then I have to get up and go do something.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:47 AM

264 posts, read 190,894 times
I just did this - 8 seasons worth! There is a show I enjoy that is no longer shown on any channels I can get in the US. I watch it online instead, which is great because I'm not committed to the time slot.

They had a break for 3-4 weeks over the holidays, so I went back to watch some of the early ones. That was pretty cool as I used to watch them on youtube and some of the videos there were messed up. I enjoyed rewinding some scenes and catching more details than I would if watching TV.

Then I had surgery in early Feb and for the first couple of days home I couldn't do much moving around. I sat on the couch and watched a couple of seasons. I was away the following week and couldn't get their tv volume to work, so I was watching 6 or more episodes per night. At that point it became an annoying addiction!!

They are on season 10 and I went through season 8. I know I saw all of season 9.

I did see a few that I had missed along the way. But I have to say that 8 seasons in 6 or 8 weeks was way over the top. Well maybe 6 seasons in 2 weeks was worse! In the beginning I was only doing 2-3 episodes a WEEK.

It took me a few days to stop feeling like I lived with them. I am DONE LOL. I don't think I'll ever do that again. Before that, I had only watched a couple of seasons of something and same thing as before, only a couple a week to catch up.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:37 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Off topic but what was the series?

I can't binge-watch but it's because I like to ponder the episode i've seen and replay bits in my head, and I love looking forward to the rest.
Jack Taylor, starring Iain Glenn and set in Galway. It was kind of like crack cocaine for me. I had a glorious vacation in Ireland with my two best friends this past fall, and it kicked off with a few days in Galway, which is just a lovely city.

Also, I'd like to climb Iain Glenn like a tree. Just sayin.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Which one? Have you tried Happy Valley?
I tried to watch the first episode, and it was a little bleak for me. I'll probably give it another go - I really liked Hinterland.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Honey, there's nothing wrong with what you did. You're only discovering that the problem was still there when the show was over.

That's not the show's fault, or your fault for wanting or needing a break from the problem for however many hours you got from it.

Sorry you've got yucky stuff to deal with. But, escaping into a DVD is better than many other alternatives.

If DVDs could guarantee a problem would no longer exist after we watched it - they'd be way more expensive.
Well, I think the issue is similar to when I've had anxiety episodes. I've learned not to "think happy thoughts' because when I come back to reality, the anxiety comes back 10 times worse. Instead, I focus on imagining things like folding laundry or grocery shopping. When I'm watching a show set in a city that enchanted me starring a guy I think is superhot, I'm essentially thinking happy thoughts and when I come back to reality, it hits me like a sledgehammer.

Nowhere near as bad as when I was seriously depressed years ago, but probably I need to tweak my coping strategy. Thanks for the input!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:56 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
I binged watched during a marathon of spinning, making yarn on a spinning wheel, for a competition. At the time I was really into Criminal Minds and watched it non-stop for two days. Nothing like a constant diet of fictional serial killers to bring a little paranoia into my life. I don't watch that show anymore. That binge ruined it for me. A serial killer once a week or whenever I happened to catch it was okay, eight episodes in a row for two days had an effect.

Moderation is a good thing.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Binge watching relegates once high quality shows to mindless, present day junk-ola. Those shows were often quality thought provoking, and were intended for one week apart viewing. You Tube's "binge viewing" format is annoying. Every series has to be viewed in tandem. BS. I view one hour of this, one hour of that, as it was intended to be viewed. But I have to screw with the site to achieve that. Want to become utterly tired of something? Binge view it.

Binge viewing is OK (I suppose) for the mindless crap produced these days, but certainly not for the oldies.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:07 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

Binge viewing is OK (I suppose) for the mindless crap produced these days, but certainly not for the oldies.
Yes, who wants to watch Mad Men or Breaking Bad when there are episodes of Gilligin's Island out there?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
I tried to watch the first episode, and it was a little bleak for me. I'll probably give it another go - I really liked Hinterland.
I love Happy Valley...but it is dark. Southcliffe is far more dark, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology