Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It is an organized group of men who actively promote not having romantic relationships with women. Some healthy men decide this but it is mostly guys who have been furiously rejected by women and have hit their breaking point with it. They attempt to null their desire for romantic relationships with women with anger and some bitterness.

I've been furiously rejected by women and am starting to accept that I will likely not ever have a romantic relationship with a woman, since they do not seem to like me. But I'd never embrace an organized group like MGTOW with a bad reputation. I'm an independent thinker all the way (atheist.) I like to think of my self as an independent traveler rather than a MGTOW.
That's a great way of putting it. They promote a kind of anti social ideal of shunning women before they can shun you. That's my best way of putting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,293 times
It's possible to do your own thing, and not hate the opposite sex or see them as the root of all your problems. What I've read of MGTOW, most of them are there because they see women as a collective, out to ruin them. Who are "numbers" (she's a 2, she's a 10, whatever), and "golddiggers" and "crazy" and lots of other adjectives, ALL of them. Not just plain old human beings also looking to make a life for themselves.

There are over 3 billion men in the world who are not in love with me, and one who is. I don't care about the other 3 billion. I don't care if they are "all whatever" (hint: they aren't "all" anything). My husband of 23 years is awesome, and our marriage has been a team effort where we support each other and are always there for each other. Things happen, we get stressed and annoyed, then we get over it and the other person is still there.

Not everyone has that, or wants that, and that's cool. Doesn't mean that either is right or wrong. I just don't understand the need to demonize half the planet because you're unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He's MGTOW now, though I don't know how long it will last. He'd certainly had been better off with no women in his life.
From his history, I'd suggest the women are better of without him as well. lol

Last edited by bondaroo; 03-09-2017 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: added word for clarity

Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
As a side note, there are many different types of men from ALL backgrounds, income levels, races and religious beliefs or lack thereof in the MGTOW movement. To stereotype is usually foolish. I think this also pertains to women who self identify as feminists. There is also a line of thinking about sexuality of MGTOW men, that all we want is to sleep around and be promiscuous. That doesn't describe me and it doesn't describe other men. There are certainly men who do identify this way and want tons of sexual partners. The movement is not all about sexuality and marriage although those play into it's themes. It's what the title implies..men making life choices on their terms.
That's not actually the stereotype at all - not saying this applies to you, but at least as far as the stereotype, it's more about men who can't get women to date/sleep with them, not those who want and have the opportunity to sleep around without making any long term commitments.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,365,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Haha, I was going to say it sounds like he would've been better off without himself, too ... e.g., his problems are mostly his own making.

The thing I've never understood about people who leave their spouses and the affair partners who encourage them do so, is:
Who wants to be with the kind of person who has already proven, through their conduct with you, that they'll leave their spouse when they find someone newer or younger or better or hotter?

I don't understand what kind of magical thinking those sorts of affair partners must possess to think that all the bad behavior and personality problems that led them into each other's arms...is suddenly going to stop once they're together.

I guess there must be a lot of ego involved, e.g. thinking I'm better than their spouse so he/she wouldn't cheat on me like he/she did on them?

I'm not trying to throw stones or anything, everyone has their own problems and failings, myself included, but I don't think affairs tend to end well, whether they break up a marriage, end on their own, or lead into a new marriage between the affair partners. At least that's what I've seen anyway.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:16 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
This just occurred to me, the original title for "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." Translated from the original Swedish the title was, "Men Who Hate Women."

Old 03-09-2017, 09:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
It's possible to do your own thing, and not hate the opposite sex or see them as the root of all your problems. What I've read of MGTOW, most of them are there because they see women as a collective, out to ruin them. Who are "numbers" (she's a 2, she's a 10, whatever), and "golddiggers" and "crazy" and lots of other adjectives, ALL of them. Not just plain old human beings also looking to make a life for themselves.

There are over 3 billion men in the world who are not in love with me, and one who is. I don't care about the other 3 billion. I don't care if they are "all whatever" (hint: they aren't "all" anything). My husband of 23 years is awesome, and our marriage has been a team effort where we support each other and are always there for each other. Things happen, we get stressed and annoyed, then we get over it and the other person is still there.

Not everyone has that, or wants that, and that's cool. Doesn't mean that either is right or wrong. I just don't understand the need to demonize half the planet because you're unhappy.

That's what I've been saying from the start. If you want to live your life on your terms then nothing is stopping you? What's with the grand announcement or having to do it under some banner like MGTOW.

I think it's really a way to bring attention to themselves when in reality most people do not or should not care.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:02 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I find it funny, and for a lot of the reasons that Bella Lind mentioned.

Hey, I went through periods where I was "I ain't dating", but I didn't need to join a group, seek attention on internet forums, and hope for approval from my peers.

It was a personal decision, and I certainly wouldn't have expected anyone to give a darn.

PLUS, I didn't blame men for things that went wrong in my dating life.

I was an adult, and therefore took responsibility myself.

It's pretty weird to choose to dislike have the world population. Naw, it couldn't be YOU, it has to be THEM.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2017, 03:28 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find it funny, and for a lot of the reasons that Bella Lind mentioned.

Hey, I went through periods where I was "I ain't dating", but I didn't need to join a group, seek attention on internet forums, and hope for approval from my peers.

It was a personal decision, and I certainly wouldn't have expected anyone to give a darn.

PLUS, I didn't blame men for things that went wrong in my dating life.

I was an adult, and therefore took responsibility myself.

It's pretty weird to choose to dislike have the world population. Naw, it couldn't be YOU, it has to be THEM.
Yeah, it's hard to imagine why people who are being maligned as fat worthless basement-dwelling woman-hating losers would want to form a support network.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
I made a personal decision to quit dating until some chick says, "Yes!"

Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,797 times
...WOW!...thanks so much for all the insight into this movement...like i said, i was a bit baffled by the whole notion, i guess there are valid points on both sides...back in my day i think the guys would just, well, go there own way and not feel the need to join such a group...just my two cents.

thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology