Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:14 PM

33 posts, read 21,717 times

Advertisements

I am a 19 year old male and lately seeing all the current suffering in the world is really getting me down. I mean, it's heart wrenching at time and I constantly am seeing/reading of such horrors. I don't even feel like being 'happy' as I wonder how can I be when so many people are suffering right now. Honestly, I just don't know what to do with all these emotions. Any advice on how I feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,796,183 times
You’re not alone; many others like you and myself feel the same way. I’ve learned to do what I can to make a difference no matter how little it may be, it’s a start. Volunteer if needed with groups who help others, you’d be amazed how many there are. Giving of yourself (even if for an hour or a day each week) will make you feel like things improve. If you don’t see a group or a cause that you like in your area ~ start one. Simple things make a big difference to others.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 PM

Yeah but I mean, I'm talking about people suffering abroad in Africa and Middle East for example. I live in Canada, so yeah. Honestly, I feel like there is no point in me being happy due to this, i can't even enjoy my hobbies anymore such as writing.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,154,364 times
Sometimes it helps to put it into perspective. Looking back, history shows us enormous amounts of suffering. We are products of those who survived it all. It's part of nature and part of being human. Aksarben makes a good point. Why not investigate working for overseas organizations who assist in 3rd world countries? Everyone I've spoken to, who has done this type of work, has found it quite cathartic and enlightening.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,796,183 times
I know there are many in the world that are in need of help, however it’s not always easy to step into “their” world and being here that is of importance. Try to see if you can help “fix” things in your own area of the world first. I don’t know of any where that isn’t in need of some type of helping hand. Starting with local programs in your area of the country is a beginning; it helps others and gives you the self-reward feeling that you’re looking for.

Doing a google search of this topic might give you some thoughts of what is out there that is “within” your reach and abilities as a volunteer. Find a “network” of others who volunteer ~ they can help led you in the right direction.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 PM

526 posts, read 451,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmcVergil View Post
I am a 19 year old male and lately seeing all the current suffering in the world is really getting me down. I mean, it's heart wrenching at time and I constantly am seeing/reading of such horrors. I don't even feel like being 'happy' as I wonder how can I be when so many people are suffering right now. Honestly, I just don't know what to do with all these emotions. Any advice on how I feel?
I've been feeling the exact same way for a long time, to the point where I'd lose sleep over it at times. What helps me keep my sanity is volunteering when I can and working towards a profession that involves helping people. It's nice to know that you can do your part to make a positive difference, no matter how small. It's also possible (although probably more difficult) to volunteer and/or work in poor countries temporarily or permanently. For now, maybe consider a service-learning trip or joining a club dedicated to a good cause?

And (if you believe in an afterlife), it may feel comforting to believe that everyone currently suffering will be rewarded for it eventually; no more starvation, cruelty, violence, or illness for eternity.

It's also great to know that there are people like you who care and feel the same way, rather than being apathetic and self-centered.

Finally, (and I'm being hypocritical here because I check the news all the time) STOP CHECKING THE NEWS (or at the very least, don't do so too often).The brain is not meant to handle constant reminders of all the horrible things happening to the 7 billion people on the planet. It takes a huge toll on your mental health, which would be better spent on work/academics/volunteering. My mother always tells me, "You must take care of yourself so that you can take care of others."

...Sorry if this just sounded like rambling; it's the middle of the night and I really ought to be sleeping.

Last edited by Halcyon18; 03-15-2017 at 11:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I've been feeling the exact same way for a long time, to the point where I'd lose sleep over it at times. What helps me keep my sanity is volunteering when I can and working towards a profession that involves helping people. It's nice to know that you can do your part to make a positive difference, no matter how small. It's also possible (although probably more difficult) to volunteer and/or work in poor countries temporarily or permanently. For now, maybe consider a service-learning trip or joining a club dedicated to a good cause?

And (if you believe in an afterlife), it may feel comforting to believe that everyone currently suffering will be rewarded for it eventually; no more starvation, cruelty, violence, or illness for eternity.

It's also great to know that there are people like you who care and feel the same way, rather than being apathetic and self-centered.

Finally, (and I'm being hypocritical here because I check the news all the time) STOP CHECKING THE NEWS (or at the very least, don't do so too often).The brain is not meant to handle constant reminders of all the horrible things happening to the 7 billion people on the planet. It takes a huge toll on your mental health, which would be better spent on work/academics/volunteering. My mother always tells me, "You must take care of yourself so that you can take care of others."

...Sorry if this just sounded like rambling; it's the middle of the night and I really ought to be sleeping.
A couple points:

1. In that case,should I stop trying to be happy? Like stop with my interest(writing). Does doing my interest make me apathetic/self-centered?

Last edited by DmcVergil; 03-16-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM

526 posts, read 451,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmcVergil View Post
A couple points:

1. In that case,should I stop trying to be happy? Like stop with my interest(writing). Does doing my interest make me apathetic/self-centered?
No; sorry if I wasn't being clear. I meant that you shouldn't only think of yourself. At the same time, you shouldn't stop trying to be happy because your life and happiness matters just as much as anyone else's. In fact, if you become too miserable, then you won't have the strength to help others. It's great that you're a caring person, and you should continue to be one, but that doesn't mean you should stop pursuing your interests altogether and become a martyr. It's important to find a balance between helping people and cultivating your own life (which, admittedly, I still have yet to figure out).

BTW: I think I started a similar thread a while back; something along the lines of "Feeling guilty and overwhelmed by all the suffering in the world". I got a lot of kind responses. I suggest you give it a read.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/psych...g-world-2.html

Last edited by Halcyon18; 03-16-2017 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,154,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
No; sorry if I wasn't being clear. I meant that you shouldn't only think of yourself. At the same time, you shouldn't stop trying to be happy because your life and happiness matters just as much as anyone else's. In fact, if you become too miserable, then you won't have the strength to help others. It's great that you're a caring person, and you should continue to be one, but that doesn't mean you should stop pursuing your interests altogether and become a martyr. It's important to find a balance between helping people and cultivating your own life (which, admittedly, I still have yet to figure out).

BTW: I think I started a similar thread a while back; something along the lines of "Feeling guilty and overwhelmed by all the suffering in the world". I got a lot of kind responses. I suggest you give it a read.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/psych...g-world-2.html
Yes OP, this is a valuable thread to read. In particular, the response from Mordant. Post #8.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 PM

322 posts, read 284,707 times
Try to make a difference, like volunteer or send money to a charity. Don't watch news all the time, learn when to shut it off and disconnect. Maybe try to bring awareness to those around you and attempt to create some sort of dialogue about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology