Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times

Advertisements

Nobody is actually stopping you from talking about what your co-workers eat for lunch every day. So go ahead and talk about it. What did they eat for lunch on Friday? Was it California roll or Pad Thai? How much of it wound up in the fridge? Did anyone leave taco crumbs on their plate? Inquiring minds want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 10:58 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
But anyway, back to the topic at hand (others are welcome to jump in again)...

Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It's fine for them to post about themselves. It's fine me to post about myself. When they post about other people's personal business, all the time, I can only wonder about that....
I'm sorry...pot meet kettle. I've read and responded to posts where you wondered why a server rushed you out of a restaurant without coffee and dessert every time you went there....although it was on the menu, they were always out.

When people do things that dumbfound us, we all ask why. And this is a discussion board.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
OMG I have given out so many rep points in this thread it isnt even funny.

I am constantly wondering why people are on a message board if their only response is literally "why do you care". More than that I wonder who actually talks like that in real life. Or, if someone asks "what do you suppose they mean by that" and the response is "total strangers on a message board cant tell you, ask them". Sometimes people want some insight before they take the next step. Instead they are greeted with "how the hell should I know?"

I saw a post once where there response was "geez people get a life!!! find something more important to care about" or words to that effect. Could you imagine someone turning to you in person and saying that? I certainly can't.

I always try to treat people online the way I would in person. Too many people online hide behind the anonymity so they can be an ass.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:31 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Good for you Saber. Yeah, it cracks me up when people post "why are you asking a bunch of strangers on a message board" too! Then why is THAT poster present? Why are any of us?

We're all asking "total strangers" for opinions, advice, commiseration. The generous folks on the Real Estate Forum give out some really valuable advice. It helped us make a decision when "real-life" advisors weren't available or interested.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:40 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
When people do things that dumbfound us, we all ask why. And this is a discussion board.
And this poster has asked his question and received his answer. People want to know why he cares. They can ask this if they want to. They can be just as curious about his obsession with other people's lifestyles. Get over it. And yes, how other people spend their money is truly their own business, not your's. Their money does not belong to you.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm sorry...pot meet kettle. I've read and responded to posts where you wondered why a server rushed you out of a restaurant without coffee and dessert every time you went there....although it was on the menu, they were always out.

Wouldn't be better to ask the actual people causing the confusion rather than random strangers unconnected to the situation? I have no idea why ones mother/sister/friend is doing what they are doing. The "why" question really can't be answered online. Perhaps the better question to ask is "how" to deal with the situation. Sometimes that answer will be to just let other people make their choices and for you to move on.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:37 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wouldn't be better to ask the actual people causing the confusion rather than random strangers unconnected to the situation? I have no idea why ones mother/sister/friend is doing what they are doing. The "why" question really can't be answered online. Perhaps the better question to ask is "how" to deal with the situation. Sometimes that answer will be to just let other people make their choices and for you to move on.
In a perfect world, yes. Everyone would be open and willing to discuss their thoughts and feelings. But some of us can't ask those people whose behavior we are trying to figure out, cope with, and understand. And some of those people may not give us a straight answer or any answer at all. So what's wrong with coming on here and trying to solve the world's problems---or at least our little tiny part of it? It hurts no one else---may even prevent a confrontation in real life if people can just vent here.

I know they say small minds talk about people-----whereas great minds talk about ideas. But we can't all have great minds or use our brains to the fullest 100% of the time. And we need to come to terms with sharing our world, workplace, life, etc. with others. So what is wrong with seeking other thoughts about a person's behavior? Being an armchair psychologist does not hurt anyone else---and could potentially lead to more understanding and empathy for the difficult/puzzling people we deal with. I know that my eyes and attitude have been opened more than once by reading something on CD that gave me a whole new perspective!

Old 03-18-2017, 03:40 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This is my number-one most-annoying pet-peeve response (not only to my posts, but to other people's posts), closely followed by "It's none of our business." If no one posted about things that they shouldn't care about and/or that were none of their business, there wouldn't be any City Data... Is this a form of tone-deafnessness or what? And why are THOSE people posting on City Data?
Agreed.

I can't stand the "I'm-better-than-you-because-I-don't-deign-to-think-about-such-things" crowd. These holier-than-thou people are control freaks. "You must think and behave exactly like me to be righteous and irreproachable!"

Their egos are so fragile that they can't go without regularly reminding themselves of how noble and superior they are to ordinary mortals.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:01 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
In a perfect world, yes. Everyone would be open and willing to discuss their thoughts and feelings. But some of us can't ask those people whose behavior we are trying to figure out, cope with, and understand. And some of those people may not give us a straight answer or any answer at all. So what's wrong with coming on here and trying to solve the world's problems---or at least our little tiny part of it? It hurts no one else---may even prevent a confrontation in real life if people can just vent here.

I know they say small minds talk about people-----whereas great minds talk about ideas. But we can't all have great minds or use our brains to the fullest 100% of the time. And we need to come to terms with sharing our world, workplace, life, etc. with others. So what is wrong with seeking other thoughts about a person's behavior? Being an armchair psychologist does not hurt anyone else---and could potentially lead to more understanding and empathy for the difficult/puzzling people we deal with. I know that my eyes and attitude have been opened more than once by reading something on CD that gave me a whole new perspective!
Constantly trying to figure other people out can turn into a never ending battle. Some people think too much and drive themselves insane. They can become delusional because of all the possibilities and "opinions." I just don't give it any energy.

Last edited by Auraliea; 03-18-2017 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology