Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

When were you deployed and did you get your trespassing ticket in HA cleared up. How did you change your cell phone number while in the marines deployed in the middle east? That had to be difficult.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertFox67 View Post
I'm 19, I've been gay since before I even knew what being gay was. My family is your typical Christian family, and that's where the conflict lies. I consider myself a Christian, I go to church, read, pray, try being a good person, but I'm gay. Recently, I came out to my family, then left, I'm in the Marines, 3000 miles away, and across an ocean. My family took it very well, especially compared to how I thought they would. But the problem is, I'm not okay with being gay, and I put the blame on them for making me hate myself.

A few days ago, I cut all ties to them, I changed my number, They don't have my address, they have no way of talking to me, I know its a ****ty thing to do, I understand that, but I don't regret it.

I just want to stop hating myself. Has anyone else had this issue, and been able to fix it? I just want to fix it, I tried being straight, it didn't work, I just want to not hate myself.
Please don't hate yourself, you have done nothing wrong. And you should never be ashamed. This is who you are, so embrace yourself and love and live life.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
I'm 19, I've been gay since before I even knew what being gay was. My family is your typical Christian family, and that's where the conflict lies. I consider myself a Christian, I go to church, read, pray, try being a good person, but I'm gay. Recently, I came out to my family, then left, I'm in the Marines, 3000 miles away, and across an ocean. My family took it very well, especially compared to how I thought they would. But the problem is, I'm not okay with being gay, and I put the blame on them for making me hate myself.

A few days ago, I cut all ties to them, I changed my number, They don't have my address, they have no way of talking to me, I know its a ****ty thing to do, I understand that, but I don't regret it.

I just want to stop hating myself. Has anyone else had this issue, and been able to fix it? I just want to fix it, I tried being straight, it didn't work, I just want to not hate myself.
I have 4 sons and a daughter so I know something about parenting and I've been thinking about your post. You said your family "took it well" so in other words they still love you and accept you correct? Why are you angry at them? They are the ones who will help you through whatever it is you are going through.

You are a Christian so you know that God made you exactly the way your are for a reason, one that you may never learn...but your life is his gift to you and you have to make the most of it.

Being gay is not as big a deal as you may think in today's world. I work with some gay people and I respect them and really, their being gay is not at all who they are to me. I think you'll find that in your life.

BTW, I hope you didn't joint the Marines to prove anything to anyone except yourself.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:43 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,419 times
Quote:

There is a old saying " if you want to know where your problems in life start look in the mirror".
Swingblade 1978

Cutting off your family is a problem and mistake, after all you said that they took it very well and better then you expected. Then the guy in the mirror { that"s you} decides to cut off all ties with his parents. Your parents have done nothing to deserve this and the guy in the mirror has the audacity to put the blame on them for hating himself.

Besides pointing the finger at others for his problems that were all self inflicted the guy in the mirror also is a pain spreader. You are hurting why do you want to spread that pain by cutting off your family? The good news is it is only been a few days. Don't hurt your mom just imagine the worry and pain she would be under if you disappeared from her life.

The guy in the mirror needs to man up and stop blaming others. And posters have gave wise advice of seeking out a support group or therapist. Do that and call your parents I think you will feel better about your self

Old 03-23-2017, 09:49 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,854 times
You need to seek serious professional help right away. This is not a joke. Seek professional help now.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:59 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertFox67
Ahh thats horrible... Your parents LOVE you and arent trying to force anything down your throat!!

Some of us ARE BORN GAY and there is nothing at all wrong with it! -- Love is a GOOD thing......

Im sorry your having so much problems with it........ Welcome to city-data

Old 03-23-2017, 10:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:

A lot of people in their teens and twenties hate themselves for various reasons, that's one of the main reasons why so many young people act self-destructively. Your perception of what it means to be a good person is out of whack with how you perceive yourself.

Yes, you can get through it, and come out liking yourself just fine. It's a lot easier - and less dangerous - if you seek help. You are too wrapped up in yourself and can't get any perspective.

Seek help. And don't stop seeking until you find an approach/person that makes sense to you. You have a lot of years left, and you really CAN make those happy years.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
I recommend a moderate amount of booze and meaningless sex. You're young. The world is wide open for you. Have fun and better yourself. Explore new experiences. Have goals and work towards fulfilling your dreams. Be at peace with yourself. Some family card games could also help.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Quote:
I'm 19, I've been gay since before I even knew what being gay was. My family is your typical Christian family, and that's where the conflict lies.I consider myself a Christian, I go to church, read, pray, try being a good person, but I'm gay. Recently, I came out to my family, then left, I'm in the Marines, 3000 miles away, and across an ocean. My family took it very well, especially compared to how I thought they would. But the problem is, I'm not okay with being gay, and I put the blame on them for making me hate myself.

You are the one who is confused though. Your "Christian" family accepts you for who you are so what is the problem?

Your Religion?

Why would you blame on them for making me hate myself? if they accept you? That is a contradiction right there.

It seems you are rejecting who you are based on your Religious beliefs which is pretty sad. Why can't you accept yourself?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
This should probably be moved to the Psychology section. Plenty there who have great advice about things like this.

My advice is that learning to love yourself takes time and effort but its doable. An important part is surrounding yourself with people who love and support you and accept you for you. Also, realize that you are who you are and you don't need to change for anybody else. Also, when you make major decisions, make sure you make the decision you want and not what somebody else is trying to pressure you into. Secondly, I would at least find a gay friendly church if not quitting church altogether. I was in severe depression and self loathing for over 3 years recently and it took stopping church to get over it. I discovered that church was re-enforcing my own sense of shame. I would go to a gay-friendly church but I am not out and certain people in my life would ask me why I am going to that church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology